[Home Replacement App] Slide Screen is Out!!

Newton122189

Reaction score
I tried it for about 6 hours before I gave up on it. It hides too many things and wastes too much space on the home screen. It would be better if it hide items with nothing in them. It also needs widget support (another page maybe?) and more customization.

if you slide the weather part in the middle up or down it will hide the empty ones, and i love how people try it for a few hours and say nope, needs more stuff, maybe you should just keep it and wait for updates that way your supporting the developers but i dunno, maybe thats just me

ipawd1

Reaction score
I just want to know what widgets do people possibly need? Battery meter that shows the exact percentage? Like who really sits and looks at their phone like "damn..I have 20% left?

You'd think when you see one bar its like "damn..its low"

Weather widgets? They have it? Date? Got it. rss reader? Got it.

Some people are overdoing it. Even with my 2.1 OS I couldnt fill up all my screens. Its like...one click away to get to all of your apps. Shouldnt be that hard

qoncept

Reaction score
I don't want to have to search through 60 apps to find the one I'm looking for, and I use more than 8 regularly. I don't like how the calendar displays on Slide Screen. I can't easily access my ringer volume controls (which I use because the buttons are ridiculously easy to accidentally push). I can't use my Power Control widget. I doesn't work with Google Voice and it looks like that's a pretty low priority for them. Stocks are neat, but unneccessary AND it's not showing MY portfolio.

Some of these things will change as they fix bugs and add enhancements. Some are design decisions that won't change. I don't see the point in trying to changes people's minds that don't like it.

If they would add even one screen that I could put a couple widgets and icons on, fixed the bugs and added GV support I'd use it. But unless they do all 3, I'd rather use the normal home screens.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
FYI: you can also use it as a stand alone app to utilize its benefits. You dont have to use it as a home replacement. Simply put the widgets, icons what ever on the main portion of your 2.1/2.0.1 home screen and hit Home. Then go back to this app when done.

flicek88

Reaction score
I share your concerns about GV not being included, but since I don't have a GV invite its not an issue for me. I love using slide screen vs. the default home screen but I'm not sure i'll still be using it after 2.1 comes out.

Btw Idk why your portfolio isn't working for you, there has been an update for slide screen that may have addressed that.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
FYI: you can also use it as a stand alone app to utilize its benefits. You dont have to use it as a home replacement. Simply put the widgets, icons what ever on the main portion of your 2.1/2.0.1 home screen and hit Home. Then go back to this app when done.

That's one of the things I like most of this, since you don't have to use as your homescreen. But I don't know if I like the update daemon running in the background all the time. If they were using its versatility as part of the marketing I wonder why a widget wouldn't be planned, but from what I understand I don't think the Android homescreen framework thing supports functionality and UI experience that Slide Screen would require anyway.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what widgets do people possibly need? Battery meter that shows the exact percentage? Like who really sits and looks at their phone like "damn..I have 20% left?

You'd think when you see one bar its like "damn..its low"

Weather widgets? They have it? Date? Got it. rss reader? Got it.

Some people are overdoing it. Even with my 2.1 OS I couldnt fill up all my screens. Its like...one click away to get to all of your apps. Shouldnt be that hard

Agreed, the reason why I was so attracted to this was that it automatically removed the need of like 4 widgets I usually use.

brochaos

Reaction score
not sure if this was pointed out yet, but at least for me, sometimes when switching back to the home screen from something that was memory intensive, i get the force close button, but if you press wait, it will eventually load. looks like they need to optimize/prioritize when it pulls in new feeds, so it doesn't slow the rest of it down.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
not sure if this was pointed out yet, but at least for me, sometimes when switching back to the home screen from something that was memory intensive, i get the force close button, but if you press wait, it will eventually load. looks like they need to optimize/prioritize when it pulls in new feeds, so it doesn't slow the rest of it down.

Yeah it got really bad for me when it's have a black screen for like a minute before it would load.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
wish i could have this as a 4x4 widget lol

Haha yeah me too! As a performance update everything seems to be working a lot better now, since the new update I've got 2 force closes and a weird restart, but after the restart everything seems to be working smoothly again.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
JonKyu :icon_eek: you aint cheatin on sweeterhome are you!!! dont make me pull this car over!!! :rofl3:

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
JonKyu :icon_eek: you aint cheatin on sweeterhome are you!!! dont make me pull this car over!!! :rofl3:
Haha lol, not at all. My Sweeter Home knows and agrees to an open relationship. I'm seeing Slide Screen temporarily, you know...to see where it goes. Otherwise, Slide screen, GDE, and Sweeter Home and I are all living quite happily with our relationships!! lol

Reaction score
Slidescreen is by far the best of the home replacement apps I've used, but no facebook integration and lack of OS depth kills it for me. If it had, for instance, 3 screens like the regular android OS plus integration of my androidandme and google news and weather feeds would make this a must have. Slidescreen is wayyyyy slicker than stock android. Props to the developer!

flicek88

Reaction score
I'm excited to see where this app goes.

From their website:
Why isn't SlideScreen showing my email?

Right now we sync email with the single GMail account you used to sign into the phone. Multiple accounts and exchange support are coming soon.

Can I sync to my favorite app?

In the current version we support the apps listed above. However, we are working on an API for developers to plug into our system.

What features are you working on next?

You can vote for what features we should work on over at the support site.

Support

Visit our Support Site for more help or to suggest new feature!
Matt Hall, Official Rep, replied 3 days ago
I don't have a specific ETA yet but the order of priorities seems to be settling down to: crash level bugs, Facebook, Google Voice, GTalk/IM.