Holster Mode

mattgew

Reaction score
Was wondering if Droid was going to support automatic vibrate once placed in the holster (holster mode) like the blackberry does. I love that feature, dont have to worry about my phone ringing at work

nojoke

Reaction score
Holster mode is the one option I miss from Blackberry(accepting outlook meeting requests on the fly is another one)

• automatically hung up
  • showed current message when unclipped
  • lock unlock automatically
I'm willing to pay for that app....

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I admit that I liked holster mode on the Tour but I'm curious how the Droid would support it. AFIK, the Tour detected it was in the holster via the magnet in the holster. The Droid uses that to tell if it's in the dock. As an experiment, I put my Droid in a holster with a magnet and it immediately went into dock mode.

Not saying it's not possible (and it'd be cool if they did it) just curious how they could overload the function of the magnet to multiple uses.

nojoke

Reaction score
The storm 1 I had knew it was in a holster without magnets; i'm not sure how(button on top?). If the droid can use the face detect sensor or illumination sensor to help it recognize.

mjs31

Reaction score
The storm 1 I had knew it was in a holster without magnets; i'm not sure how(button on top?). If the droid can use the face detect sensor or illumination sensor to help it recognize.

I dont believe this is correct. The Storm 1 also required a holster with magnets for it to work in holster mode. All Blackberries require this and the magnets have to match each specific one.

This being said, I also miss holster mode, but I really do not see how it could be done on the droid.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
One possibility would be to make the action the Droid takes when it detects the magnet configurable so that you could choose whether it goes into holster mode, dock mode, etc. Of course this isn't a good solution for those of us who have all the accessories since we'd have to change it all the time but I guess it'd be better than nothing since you could at least choose the one you wanted based on what you do most of the time.

OP
M

mattgew

Reaction score
that would be nice. maybe there will be an app for that soon. really miss it

Droider

Reaction score
The car dock and multimedia dock seem to work by detecting a magnet in different locations on the back of the Droid. Maybe a developer could make one that goes into holster mode if magnets are detected in both locations at once. That way car, multimedia dock, and holster modes would all work without interfering with each other. It's just speculation on my part and it would of course require some cooperation between a developer and a holster manufacturer.

mjs31

Reaction score
I like the double magnet idea. Although it would still require the case manufacturers to make holsters designed like this. I could see this happening much easier if this was built into the phone rather than an app.