High Battery Useage and Running Hot

Mudinyeri

Reaction score
I've had my G2 for about three months. About once every month the phone gets hot and drains the battery at an extremely fast rate. Performance is also significantly degraded - to the point where my alarm didn't go off this morning.

Verizon support suggests a factory reset. Obviously, that might treat the symptom, but I doubt that it's really treating the root cause. Phone is bone stock (no root) and only runs apps from the Google Play store. I can't seem to find anything in Task Manager that looks amiss. GPS is turned off. Bluetooth is turned off. Wi-fi and wireless networks are both turned on. No case to potentially trap heat. Heat is coming from the back side of the phone. I'm assuming it's the battery. Symptomatically, it seems that some process or app is running at a very high rate but, like I said, I can't find anything amiss.

Any ideas ... other than "factory reset"?

Thanks.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to settings/apps/running and see what apps are going in the background.

OP
M

Mudinyeri

Reaction score
Go to settings/apps/running and see what apps are going in the background.

Sorry if my initial message wasn't clear. I've done that as well as gone to Task Manager and killed all of the programs that are running.

Right now, I'm trying to send a text message and it's been sending for at least five minutes.

OP
M

Mudinyeri

Reaction score
Normally, my battery will last for a couple days without GPS useage. Also, normally, my phone is not hot to the touch.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you in a sketchy 3G/4G area? Or do you have an AntiVirus or other Task Killer app running?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try just a reboot and see if that helps. Some games continue to run in background.

walkerstempe

Reaction score
For some reason, this devices shows two bars, sometimes 3 for cell service. My old Bionic was always hitting 3-4 bars. Been told that low bars is a battery drainer. Phoenix region, surrounded by towers.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes low bars/3g will lead to the device looking for a better connection which could be why Android Services is the highest battery drain. Usually display is the highest.

OP
M

Mudinyeri

Reaction score
Nope. None of that. Same conditions and locations as any other day. Ive restarted twice.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What apps are running? And you do have GPS on as per the pic you posted, that'll drain and warm the battery up

rjenk

Reaction score
The only time I experience rapid battery drain and the phone getting hot is if I am inside a building that causes very poor reception. In an area/building with poor coverage will cause the phone to constantly search for a better signal, especially if it has dropped to 1xRTT mode. I have in some cases just disabled data until I am back outside or in an area where the phone can find an LTE signal. This saved battery and cooled the phone down.

I had this happen just the other day in the movie theater. Unfortunately, this is a problem with pretty much any phone.

Last edited:

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't post a pic of my phone. ??
Woops just saw it was someone else thread jackin! My bad! At any rate, what apps do you have running in background? Many apps restart themselves even if you stop them.

OP
M

Mudinyeri

Reaction score
Woops just saw it was someone else thread jackin! My bad! At any rate, what apps do you have running in background? Many apps restart themselves even if you stop them.

Alarm Clock
Facebook
Out of Milk
Photobucket
Tasker
com.qualcomm.qcrilmsgtunnel
Amazon
Android Apps
Sync Service
Google Services
Clock Widget
Email