Hiding Photos Possible?

SSDriod

Reaction score
My DroidX shows all my album covers as if they were photos, any ideas on how I can hide them ? I really only want to see my pictures as photos...

Thanks!

fireman27c

Reaction score
The '.' Method. Basically you place the pictures you want to hide in a folder and put a . in front of the folder name and the gallery shouldn't show those photos. There are also applications on the market that hide things for you.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can also probably just put a file called ".nomedia" in the folder where you don't want images to show up and they will not. Still can find them with a file browser but not in the gallery. I have a Moto Droid1 so it may not work the same, but I am pretty sure it will.

dougivks

Reaction score
the .nomedia method does work on the droid x. i copied the folders directly from my OG droid to my X and they don't show up in the gallery.

phatkat66

Reaction score
Yeah I use the "." method. I just name the folder whatever I want with a period in front of it. Keeps out the nosey co-workers that wants to look at my pix to see any from my gf that aren't ment for public LOL. Now if only I could put a pw lock on the file manager itself, then i dont have to worry about the super smart nosey people that goes through the files instead of the gallery.

dougivks

Reaction score
I'd like to find a nice password App as well. what you can do is put them in a password protected zip file instead.

OP
S

SSDriod

Reaction score
I'll give it a whirl

I'll try this - my concern is that the picture stays available as the 'album cover' when looking at/for music, and that the music in the folder with the album cover picture is still visible.

I'll let you know how that goes...

Can anyone recommend a good app for hiding them?

THANKS!

The '.' Method. Basically you place the pictures you want to hide in a folder and put a . in front of the folder name and the gallery shouldn't show those photos. There are also applications on the market that hide things for you.

OP
S

SSDriod

Reaction score
Well that didn't work...

Well, as I feared the "." method made the entire album disappear from my music choices. So is there an Option B?

I'll try this - my concern is that the picture stays available as the 'album cover' when looking at/for music, and that the music in the folder with the album cover picture is still visible.

I'll let you know how that goes...

Can anyone recommend a good app for hiding them?

OP
S

SSDriod

Reaction score
Still don't know that photovault will help - I believe that using it will also hide the photo/album cover from being available as an album cover in music.

Is there a way to limit the folders that PICTURES looks in for photos/JPGs - so that I could tell it not to look for pictures in the MUSIC folder?

You can just get photovault from the market..

dougivks

Reaction score
how do you have your album covers saved? I just looked in my "albumthumbs" folder, and the images do not have a file extension attached to them. They show up in my music player (the album covers) but not in my photo gallery.

the better question may be what do you use to put music and album covers onto your phone? are you dragging folders of music (complete with album covers) onto the phone?

I use iTunes and iTunes Agent to handle my music. perhaps that is why my album image files do not have file extensions and why I don't run into this problem, because it's pulling the covers from my itunes folders on my PC.

OP
S

SSDriod

Reaction score
Well that explains it...

Yes, I did just copy the entire folder over to the SD card in the phone. As such, I propably caused the issue myself.

Thanks!

its-just-me

Reaction score
I am trying to hide pictures I would like to have privet. I tried the “.” Method but all it did was hiding the file on the phone, I could still see the photos in the gallery. Kind of the opposite of what I wanted. I tried one of the photo vaults this morning but it hid all my photos. So that they were all priver, again not accomplishing what I wanted. I have pics I don’t want just everyone looking at but I still would like to be able to see or access them when I want to. Any suggestions?

dougivks

Reaction score
I am trying to hide pictures I would like to have privet. I tried the “.” Method but all it did was hiding the file on the phone, I could still see the photos in the gallery. Kind of the opposite of what I wanted. I tried one of the photo vaults this morning but it hid all my photos. So that they were all priver, again not accomplishing what I wanted. I have pics I don’t want just everyone looking at but I still would like to be able to see or access them when I want to. Any suggestions?

move the pics you want hidden into their own folder. then create and copy a file called .nomedia into that folder and the gallery won't find those pictures anymore. someone will still find them if they look through your files with a file explorer, so get creative with the folder name and it's location.