Hide photo and Video app ?'s

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is an app out there that will let you hide photo and video within the app and be able to send the photo or video through a text message without unvaulting. I have tried Kii Safe and it does a great job at hiding but won't let you text the photo's unless you unvault to your gallery first. I want a way to be able to share the photo's. Don't mind paying a few bucks for a decent one. Have tried the "Stocks" Vaulty Pro hider also. Looking for something else that actually works. Anyone have something they like? Must be able to text photo's without unvaulting.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems like using the .nomedia approach (search/Google) would work. If you wanted to send a photo or video in a .nomedia folder you could use a file manager, browse to the file and then send it that way.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Seems like using the .nomedia approach (search/Google) would work. If you wanted to send a photo or video in a .nomedia folder you could use a file manager, browse to the file and then send it that way.

Not sure how this works but seems like it is not password protected? Am I wrong? I need password protection because I don't want my kids stumbling across stuff they shouldn't see. Any apps that would work as I described in first post that are password protected?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
OP
L

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Seems like using the .nomedia approach (search/Google) would work.

Thats not password protected, but they would have to know what they are looking for to find them. The pictures wouldnt show up in the gallery. The only way to get to them is with a file explorer (manager) like takeshi says.
Heres some apps that might help: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.carrotapp.protect&feature=search_result

Problem with this one is that it hides the entire gallery. I only want to hide certain photo's, video not everything.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I've never used those apps before. If you find one that can protect a certain app with a password, I would protect the file manager and use the method takeshi described.

Sent from the Unbrickable DROID

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I've never used those apps before. If you find one that can protect a certain app with a password, I would protect the file manager and use the method takeshi described.

I apologize if I am stupid but how exactly do you do the method that Takeshi explained. Like in a cell phone for dummies type method. Not sure how to create or change the name of a File or photo for that matter. But this would work and just hide your app with the above app like you said. Just not sure how to do the whole thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

josh.zechman

Reaction score
Have you looked at vaultyfree in market? Don't know if it is any good just saw it a little bit ago. Just trying to help.

Edit* use astro make a folder called .nonmedia and place all pictures in there. The should not show up in gallery and I think you can send them from astro*tidE

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Vaulty Free is ok. Best one I have found so far. This .filename has me interested. I have been trying to watch some youtube videos but it doesn't show
1. How to make a file in the Gallery for your photo's at first.
2. How to move your pictures after taken to that specific file. When I take a photo it's always going to go to my main gallery I know. I just don't know how to move it to the .filename. I already have Astro but not sure how it all works. Can someone please explain?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
No need to apologize. I've never used the .nomedia method either. But this is how I'd do it.

First download a file explorer from the market. You can find one by searching for "file explorer" in the market. Astro is a popular one, but I use Root Explorer since I'm rooted. Either way, once you have it, open it up and go to sd card. When you're there, with either one you get, hit the menu button on the phone and create a new folder. Then name it ".nomedia". Your folder is now created. Then transfer the pictures you want to hide there.

Your pictures are located in sd\DCIM\Camera. Again use the file explorer to find that folder. When you're at those pictures, theres usually a multi select option so you can select more than one. It would be in the menu option. Select the pictures and then move them. Then go to the .nomedia folder and paste them. Also long pressing a single picture should bring up those options too.

If you have any problems, let me know what file explorer app you installed. I'll download that app and walk you through the options, as long as it's free.

As far as I know, you'll have to do this every time you take a picture you want to hide. Unless someone else knows an easier way.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
CJM, thanks, we must have posted at the same time. I'm gonna give it a try. I have Astro already so will try that file manager.

josh.zechman

Reaction score
No need to apologize. I've never used the .nomedia method either. But this is how I'd do it.

First download a file explorer from the market. You can find one by searching for "file explorer" in the market. Astro is a popular one, but I use Root Explorer since I'm rooted. Either way, once you have it, open it up and go to sd card. When you're there, with either one you get, hit the menu button on the phone and create a new folder. Then name it ".nomedia". Your folder is now created. Then transfer the pictures you want to hide there.

Your pictures are located in sd\DCIM\Camera. Again use the file explorer to find that folder. When you're at those pictures, theres usually a multi select option so you can select more than one. It would be in the menu option. Select the pictures and then move them. Then go to the .nomedia folder and paste them. Also long pressing a single picture should bring up those options too.

If you have any problems, let me know what file explorer app you installed. I'll download that app and walk you through the options, as long as it's free.

As far as I know, you'll have to do this every time you take a picture you want to hide. Unless someone else knows an easier way.

Good write up! I edited my post but not this in depth.

josh.zechman

Reaction score
CJM, thanks, we must have posted at the same time. I'm gonna give it a try. I have Astro already so will try that file manager.

If you use astro use the multi function that way you can do more than 1 picture at a time.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
CJM. I figured it out thanks to your help. Kinda a pain though. Way to many steps. Don't think the wife will be able to figure it out. We need something that will just do it for you. looking more into Vaulty.