Hi There and Thanks for this forum !

yndroid

Reaction score
Hey There :icon_ devil:
I've been waiting forever to be a part of an open source phone community, I'm so so happy to join the Droid family.
I had BlackBerries almost since they came out, my last was the Tour which had an AWFUL track ball, thankfully, so two days ago instead of hitting it agaist a brick wall I replaced it and got me a Droid.

Couldn't Be Happier ! Honey, I'm home !

I don't want to extend my welcome too much so I'm hoping you can help me with some pointers. There are some little quirks RIM have worked out, I'm wondering if you can point me to the answers (looked in forums, checked faqs, you can send link and I'll read no need to retype for another android virgin):

1. Sleep mode - RIMs clock has a simple "sleep mode", you switch to it and the display goes dark, phone will sound only incoming calls and wake-up alarm. Is there a way to duplicate this with one app/button click ?
2. Locking - RIM phone lock is so simple, you cset a button which renders the screen inactive, but still visible if you want. Clicking the desired buttons releases the phone from it's locked state and voilla. In Droid, as far as I can tell, only way to lock is to either set screen to turn off in 10 or to push the most inconvenient on/off button in production. Now the phone is dark, and in order to unlock, the same inconvenient button must be clicked, than slide the green unlock and it's unlocked.
Isn't there an app which simply locks the screen, leaves it ON for x time, and all required to unlock is the slide mechanism ? I can't believe it doesn't bother everyone.
3. Gmail app. (A) Doesn't show new items on icon, only in phone notification; and (B) Is it possible the Gmail app will not let me edit an email I'm trying to forward ? What an I doing wrong ??

I have a few more doozies, but these really really bug me.
Thank you for reading, and replying. I'll be sure to pay-it-forward and be a helping member of this community.

Have a great day ! Y.

P.S
I guess I should mention the iPhone at least once, so there it is.
My last apple hardware was APPLE IIe (I'm oooold), which I concider to be the last good apple product. Now I wouldn't touch apple crapware with a 10 foot pole.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the Forums! For the locking and sleeping i just use the sleep button at the top, (I cam from an iPhone of 2 years so it was very similar :-/ )

OP
yndroid

yndroid

Reaction score
unix.punkx thanx for the greeting and for the rest -
BRRRRR ..... pretty chilly in here.

shademar

Reaction score
For sleep mode: Checkout the app Beside 3.0 (you can set volume/brightness/ect based on time...)

For locking: As I'm unfamiliar with Pre, I'm not entirely sure what you want to do here. There's two apps I know of that completely bypass the lockscreen (ScreenModeWidget and MyLock), but you seem to want to keep the screen but be able to unlock by button click instead if swipe? I'll keep in eye out, if that's the case.

The launch icon itself is static...if you want new Gmail notifications in addition to the status bar, you'll need to set up a widget to do so. I use pure Calendar Messenger, which loads sms, gmail, and gchat previews onto a skinnable widget. I also use the app 'missed call' which lets you change the LED notification light colors for the different missed message types.

Good luck!

OP
yndroid

yndroid

Reaction score
Hey shademar, thanks a lot ! Feels a little warmer :) ...
Those are pretty solid solutions to the problem I've had, I'll be sure to download and test the apps you mentioned.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Locale is another app (similar to bedside 3.0)
2. As shademar mentioned.... (In Market) Screen Mode Widget = power button, volume rocker, and camera button all 'wake' phone. Bypasses slide to unlock. (not in Market, search forums for "mylock") myLock = power button only button to 'wake' phone. Bypases slide to unlock.
3. shademar pretty much nailed this one :)

OP
yndroid

yndroid

Reaction score
Good morning martin and thanks a lot.
Yeah I did look formylock and couldn't find iy, now I know why.

If I may followup with another riddle, now that I spent the entire weekend tweaking my droid (and being yelled at for that...) , is there a way to do this:
1. The screen is dark, the phonr is locked.
2. Tap menu or anywhere on screen twice to show locked screen and green slide on screen.
3. Slide green left to right or any predefined route.
4. Phone is unlocked

Seems to me like the most convenient, non butt-calling-enabling way, maybe a bit battery guzzler coz step 2 may occur.
If this doesn't exist, this is going to be my android introduction.

Thanks again for replying.
Have a great week ! Y

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good morning martin and thanks a lot.
Yeah I did look formylock and couldn't find iy, now I know why.

If I may followup with another riddle, now that I spent the entire weekend tweaking my droid (and being yelled at for that...) , is there a way to do this:
1. The screen is dark, the phonr is locked.
2. Tap menu or anywhere on screen twice to show locked screen and green slide on screen.
3. Slide green left to right or any predefined route.
4. Phone is unlocked

Seems to me like the most convenient, non butt-calling-enabling way, maybe a bit battery guzzler coz step 2 may occur.
If this doesn't exist, this is going to be my android introduction.

Thanks again for replying.
Have a great week ! Y
Nothing to wake the phone with a press on the screen.... Only the power button (or volume and camera if using Screen Mode Widget) will wake the phone.

OP
yndroid

yndroid

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Martin030908 for all your replies.
When I have more than 5 seconds to breathe beyond life's craziness I'll make this my first Android programming introduction.

Have a wonderful week !
Y