Hi from newbie

redbull73

Reaction score
Hi im red bull. I have the DROID 3. So far it is a cool phone with lots of speed and convenient apps. I have one thing though why root and does doing so void the phones warranty. I'm really interested in getting the most out of my phone so any apps any one knows of that is cool let me know. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Root is not available for the D3 as of yet.

There are good suggestions for apps in the Application section of this forum.

OP
redbull73

redbull73

Reaction score
Thanks. I know they have not cracked the code. I was wondering why would I root my phone. What do I gain from it. I'm just trying to understand all I am reading from the other people on here. We all start some where.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is true, we do!

Rooting allows you to over/underclock your phone. Also allows you to load custom ROMs. My D1 is rooted, however most that have gone to the D3 from the D1 don't miss root (except for not being able to remove the bloat).

OP
redbull73

redbull73

Reaction score
don't call me stupid but what is over/under clocking. I don't know the term.

wseyller

Reaction score
Root alone will not allow you to overclock. Overclocking depends on the kernel. The stock kernel has a governor that prohibits raise the clock speed. You would need a custom kernel and root alone will not allow you to change the kernel.

Root is helpful for:

Removing or freezing stock apps which are considered bloatware.

Using titanium backup app to backup and restore apps and settings.

Allows the use of wireless tether apps although I believe there is a current way to do that now on the D3.

More ability to move apps to sdcard.

Root is basically a permissions of the file system that allows you to make changes where normally many files only have read or execute permissions.

Ther are various tools on the market that require root permissions.

Most wireless carriers most likely consider rooting to void warranty. Rooting is basically letting you/or apps you allow to become the user type called superuser which is allowed all access basically. Rooting doesn't by itself doesn't change anything else. if you have to take the phone back to the carrier for service you just unroot and remove all apps that would require root. 98% of the time those reps don't know any better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root alone will not allow you to overclock. Overclocking depends on the kernel. The stock kernel has a governor that prohibits raise the clock speed. You would need a custom kernel and root alone will not allow you to change the kernel.

Root is helpful for:

Removing or freezing stock apps which are considered bloatware.

Using titanium backup app to backup and restore apps and settings.

Allows the use of wireless tether apps although I believe there is a current way to do that now on the D3.

More ability to move apps to sdcard.

Root is basically a permissions of the file system that allows you to make changes where normally many files only have read or execute permissions.

Ther are various tools on the market that require root permissions.

Not to get into a sidebar here, but why can I root my D1 and install SetCPU and overclock to 600 and under to 125?

DPro owners are able to underclock as well without a kernel change, as they can't change it.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Not to get into a sidebar here, but why can I root my D1 and install SetCPU and overclock to 600 and under to 125?

DPro owners are able to underclock as well without a kernel change, as they can't change it.

+1

ALOHA from Hawaii

wseyller

Reaction score

Because the limitation of the stock kernel is 600. Most of the time underclocking is no problem on stock kernels. The overclocking part of it is what is locked down to what the manufacture seems fit. But if you want to overclock to 800, 1000 or whatever then a custom kernel is needed. Also some custom kernels come with extra options such as voltage supplied to the cpu. Low voltage kernel saves on battery but each chip is different in every phone and some can't handle it. Other options are slots. I won't explain that so read an overclocking tutorial.

Last edited:
OP
redbull73

redbull73

Reaction score
Thanx y'all I don't think I can root. I may need that warranty but I may still have some more silly questions. I really thank all of you for helping the novice user like myself with these simple things. Y'all have a great thing here and I for one appreciate.

wseyller

Reaction score
Thanx y'all I don't think I can root. I may need that warranty but I may still have some more silly questions. I really thank all of you for helping the novice user like myself with these simple things. Y'all have a great thing here and I for one appreciate.

Don't totally give up on the idea of doing it. I know the D3 doesn't have the ability right now anyway. Eventually root will come. At first it may even be a complicated process. Eventually a time will likely come when that process becomes very easy. At that time it could be a simple app that you run, you click root and your done and maybe the same app you use to click unroot and your back like nothing changed. I suggest hanging around the D3 forum and just keep up with the evolution of it all. It is really not a big deal. Just be patient with anything you do and let a thousand other people test it out before you do it and i can assure you'll be fine.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
root isn't for everyone. there are pros and cons and u definitely don't need to Root to customize ur device. no matter what, it is what's best for u. just remember the community is always here to assist