Here's the 5.5.893 update file str8 from Moto. No root necessary.

welsalex

Reaction score
Ok, this is different from the factory reset button on the phone, no? I did a factory reset when I first got the phone and there's a button for it in the Privacy Settings. When I hit Factory Reset, that reset my phone. I wanted to know if that was the same as doing all those steps in that link, or if that was a different type of reset.

Once again, Im not the expert on this specifically. But i am extremely computer savvy and whatnot. This is the best i can explain it: When you installed the leaked patch it overwrote the existing firmware, software, files, etc. Unlike most PCs that employ a recovery option in which the PC has a backup copy of the original data, the data on the phone is basically overwritten and the original data isnt saved. This is because that would involve having Gigabytes of space used to hold the backup data (it saves space by not keeping a backup). Also to clarify more the manufacturer designed the system assuming users are only going to install offical updates (updates that will work and the user would therefore have no need of reverting to a prior version). This is also explanation why the manufacturer wont cover unoffical changes to a phone (imagine the time and money the company would spend if they offered to fix or replace any device that was modified unsuccessfully with unauthorized firmware/updates/etc)

Again im not an expert just very confident of my understanding of how this works. So your answer is NO the factory reset option on the phone wont revert all the changes that the leaked patch has made to your phone. Using the link I posted and following directions Exactly WITH PATIENCE is the only way to truely revert to out pf the box condition (or at least as close to it as possible).

Again, anyone else who knows more about this chime on to add to what ive said or to correct it!

Hope this helps. Let me/us know if you have anything more to say!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Does the phone have to be in a specific mode? Mine is set to Charge Only and nothing is happening. RSD Lite isn't recognizing my phone. Do I have to choose another mode, like PC Mode or Mass USB Storage?

briguy503

Reaction score
You have to have usb debugging on, this is in settings, applications, usb debugging.

welsalex

Reaction score
Does the phone have to be in a specific mode? Mine is set to Charge Only and nothing is happening. RSD Lite isn't recognizing my phone. Do I have to choose another mode, like PC Mode or Mass USB Storage?

I don't know which mode is the right one to use... but its safe to say charge only is definitely not going to work. Try usb connection and enable debugging as the guy above said.

And remember once it's going let it do its thing!!! It will take a while be patient!!

Last edited:

welsalex

Reaction score
You have to have usb debugging on, this is in settings, applications, usb debugging.

Thank you for that info. I wouldn't have known that myself if you didn't mention it!

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I posted this in Tech Support:

I downloaded everything it said to (everything except v5.2.1 64-bit because it said my computer didn't support it) and hooked my phone up to my laptop and started the process. After going through all these steps, I got this message:

Failed flashing process. 1/5 cdt.bin.... and it goes on and on. Now my phone has a blank screen that says:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.61
Battery OK
OK to program
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

What does this mean?? What did I do??? I knew I shouldn't have messed with my phone... I knew I'd probably mess it up.... I feel horrible and I really really need this phone to work again. Please help!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions????

welsalex

Reaction score
First, you only need either the 32bit or the 64bit driver (your computer said it wouldn't accept the 64bit driver, that is normal most computers are still only 32bit... that isn't the issue)

Now on the link I used I would recommend the FIRST FXZ File. You did use that correct?

Also: was your phone fully charged and ready to go?

Disconnect your phone from any cables, etc. Then pull the battery out of it for a moment. Replace the battery and the cover.
Start the steps all over again minus the RSD Lite install and the Driver Install (assuming you have already installed both RSD and the Moto Driver)
Reboot your computer BEFORE starting step 4. BE PATIENT! Give it the one or two minutes the instructions suggest that you do.

Try the rest of again. Make sure you do the instructions exactly as they are written. Do not mess with the phone or anything else on your computer while this is happening. Seriously, let it do it's thing.

I hope I made myself clear earlier that this is not a guaranteed method and no one is responsible but the user themselves. I truly am sorry if this doesn't work out for you but it's part of the risk automatically assumed when installing unofficial updates.

Good Luck, continue posting and me and whoever else will respond as we can. It's about my bed time so I might not respond till I wake up. But please respond asap so I and others can help asap!

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I fixed it!!!! I found another site: roll-back - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com with a one-click method that worked the first time. Not only am I not bricked anymore, but I'm back to 5.5.886. That was DEFINITELY a lesson learned.....

Thank you so much, Welsalex, for your help! I've got a lot of learning to do :)

Mer2112

Reaction score
Applied this update yesterday afternoon and no problems at all. Camera is much quicker and battery life is better.

All is good.

McGyver777

Reaction score
So I took the plunge and did the patch to 5.5.893.

Read people are worried they are out of updates for normal OTAs.

I figure one of two things...if by some miracle the thing is still in the update path...cool. If not, then the OTA will probably show up here before Verizon ever pushes it to my phone...so even IF I am out of the main OTA update path that just means I will probably end up updated SOONER rather than wait for it over normal method.

So if you patched this remember not to panic, there ARE ways to get back to stock...but also know that being off the main update path might get you updated sooner if you watch the forum that is.

Now to go read about going and upgrading my version to the very latest releases (which I think are harder to do, slightly)....anyone got a link for me?

stevo95

Reaction score
I updated to 5.5.893 using the method here. So far testing has been good. no data drop although not properly tested by leaving the house which I will do later today. GPS is MUCH better, I am getting a lock while inside the house within 12 seconds. This has *never* happened before. Camera is also quite a bit quicker. I still need to test the headphones but I hardly use these anyway so not an issue for me.

I have now gone to 5.7.893 as described in Android forums, and again, no problems so far. Will report back on data and if that is better too once tested.

haupman

Reaction score
I have now gone to 5.7.893 as described in Android forums, and again, no problems so far. Will report back on data and if that is better too once tested.

Are you rooted? If not, please let us know specifically how you did this from 5.5.893 and if Webtop still works.