Help with some basic Theory of use

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I tried this query in the APP's section with no luck.

I am trying to understand the basic concepts of "stuff" being backed up or stored with Google, mostly Apps. More specifically if my phone needs to be replaced.

With regard to apps, free and pay, with a replacement phone will they be automatically restored to a new phone? I am new to gmail, and I have contact syncing down, but I do not see in my Google account anything other than mail stuff. Does the "cloud" just keep everything stored and supposedly secure for future use by a new phone if needed, without my ability to see what they have?

I am ready to start downloading some pay apps, and want to understand the process so that I do not have to pay twice.

Thank you, and I am really enjoying the phone.

Craig

lauriep

Reaction score
It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong Stigy/New2u) that yes, the new phone will display all the apps you have purchased in the slideout tray at the bottom. You will just have to put them back on the desktop.

PridgNYC

Reaction score
LaurieP, I don't think that is what Bear was asking. To answer the original question, as long as you have the "Back up my settings" option under Settings->Privacy checked, then your apps will be restored to a new phone. I don't know if there is any way to see these from your google account on the web, but they are stored in the "cloud" of googles servers.

y6y6y6

Reaction score
I had to take my first phone back to the store for a replacement. I can conform - All your apps will automatically be downloaded, including ones you paid for. But not the settings.

You can also uninstall apps you paid for then reinstall them later for free.

I don't think there is any way to view or manage that from your online Google account though.

Reaction score
Does it restore contacts too? And possible text or call logs.... the last I figure is quite a stretch but contacts would've nice

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Thank you, that was exactly what I was wondering about "saving" apps. I confirmed that my phone is set for Back-up in the privacy section.

Craig

Droider

Reaction score
Does it restore contacts too? And possible text or call logs.... the last I figure is quite a stretch but contacts would've nice

Yes, contacts are restored because they are synced to your Gmail account (on Google's servers).

No, call and text logs are not synced to Google. You will have to find an app that will help you manually back up those items.