Basic Android Queries

inwell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GT-S5360
I m totally novice to the androind community so most of my questions might feel funny. Please be nice .

Few basic queries..not device specific

1.Why different devices have different CWM requirement ? Why not same CWM works for all? is it just coz of hardware difference ?

2.Can i backup STOCK ROM through CWM without any app/data etc? plain stock ROM ?

3.I installed CWM to my samsung S5360 through Recovery--> Install From SD Card method.., why after rebooting it shows STOCK recovery again..? Why not permanent CWM ? (again hardware limitation ?)

4.As mentioned above we install CWM or root package through recovery..does this method not suitable for all the phones? coz many phones are rooted /flashed with ODIN or some other way using PC.. why ?

5. If i restore my NANDroid backup through CWM,does that mean my new device is ROOTed by default ?

best wishes

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Hello @inwell!!

#1 Different devices require different coding inside of CWM.

#2 yes you can back up stock using CWM recovery, just don't backup data or user partitions.

#3 the system in an attempt to protect itself, reinstalls the stock recovery using the install-recovery.sh file in the system. After you root the device, you need to disable this feature.

#5 it sounds like the method you used was correct, just the device security is running you around in circles.

#6 Nandroids are also device specific and cannot be used on another device. But if you install your backup, then yes the device is rooted again if the device was rooted before you backed it up in CWM

OP
I

inwell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GT-S5360
Hello, and thank you for the info...
Nandroids are also device specific and cannot be used on another device. But if you install your backup, then yes the device is rooted again if the device was rooted before you backed it up in CWM

Is it possible to restore the nandroid backup not on any other device but exactly identical device (same model /make) ?

regards

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, you better double check that. (Not to doubt your knowledge Kaos) I've always been told (back from my original Galaxy 1 days) that Nandroids were device specific....meaning made for "your" device.

S5 tap'n

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Yeah, you better double check that. (Not to doubt your knowledge Kaos) I've always been told (back from my original Galaxy 1 days) that Nandroids were device specific....meaning made for "your" device.

S5 tap'n
As long as it is the exact model number and same recovery...You can flash to a different device of same model. Hell you can flash to a different device, it will just brick it!

Last edited: