Questions about Clockwork Mod Recovery

reichbc

Reaction score
Request sticky: this might help someone out down the line.

Okay... so I've started prepping my D2 for use again. Dad relieved me of my Verizon bill by switching me to AT&T when I was short on cash... irrelevant. I'm coming back to Big Red.

So the first thing I did was decide to start over. 2.3.3 SBF, backup, root, backup again, bootstrap CWM 2 to install Liberty 3. Now I'm stuck on something.

I keep seeing posts on CWM Recovery and how you're supposed to bootstrap it. Some say you flash it. Then there's the difference between the Bootstrapper's CWM 2.~whatever version and the newest one from ROM manager, 5.~something. Obviously, I want the latest version of CWM, so now that card's on the table.

Now I want to permanently replace the stock recovery image with CWM5 so I don't HAVE to use something like Bootstrapper or ROM Manager to boot into it. I want to be able to go from a powered off state directly into CWM5 by holding X.

So the questions begin:

ClockworkMod Recovery: How do I get it flashed onto the phone so that when I hold Power and X, it comes up? To be clear: I DON'T want the stock Recovery image.

If it's not possible to do this, what's the BEST way to access CWM? Some say that ROM Manager is buggy, it'll brick the phone, etc. I want an answer from the guys who do this on the daily (DroidForums.net).

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

pressguy27

Reaction score
If your on stock, the best way is to use the Droid 2 bootstrap app. It will install clockwork. I think it's the easiest way if just on stock

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
R

reichbc

Reaction score
My apologies. Original thread updated: I used Bootstrapper to get to recovery and install Liberty 3... Now I want to permanently replace the stock recovery image with CWM5 so I don't HAVE to use something like Bootstrapper or ROM Manager to boot into it. I want to be able to go from a powered off state directly into CWM5 by holding X.

If your on stock, the best way is to use the Droid 2 bootstrap app. It will install clockwork.
I don't believe so.... Bootstrapper does something to make it boot into CWM, but it doesn't replace the stock image. If you were to use bootstrapper, then do your dirty work in recovery, and restart then reboot again, holding X would put you in stock recovery.

Last edited:

pressguy27

Reaction score
OK I got ya...I don't if you can replace the stock recovery or at least I have not heard of anyone doing it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

lizard

Reaction score
Droid 2 Bootstrapper is an app by ClockworkMod. Rom Manager is another app that acts as an overlay to ClockworkMod(or Bootstrapper). The two terms are often used interchangeably. This overlay allows one to use app based controls instead of the physical keyboard to perform tasks like flashing a rom or restoring a backup. Droid 2 Bootstrapper hijacks the boot process. I though flashing an alternate recovery is what you done when flashing a rom. What you want to do is prevented by something called efuse. Thats the lock on the bootloader. Bootstrapping is the hijacking of the boot process. If the bootloader wasn't locked it wouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

OP
R

reichbc

Reaction score
Okay, that makes a little more sense now. Thanks :)

Doesn't Moto plan on unlocking the D2 bootloaders?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Once you've installed ClockWork recovery you can always boot into it instead of stock recovery by pressing the down volume key on the boot logo when the blue light flashes up in the right hand corner. There's no need to actually wipe the stock recovery and overwrite it.