help with RAZR M

GlockStar

Reaction score
I I have already asked in the tech forum with no replies. I've asked every verizon wireless every sprint every t mobile store within 30 mikes but nobody can tell me how I can watch the movies I downloaded on my cell phone on my TV. the device is not MHL capable. I cannot find a micro USB to HDMI wire to hook it directly to the TV. streaming it from Windows Media center on my xbox 360 after I put the file from my phone to my computer, sucks and is very choppy and i cant use any controller functions because it freezes the movie. I did find a way to move the file off of my phone to my laptop then to a USB flash drive then flash drive to xbox 360 and play it from there but is there an easier way? I don't know what DLNA is but I think that is what I was doing when I streamed it from Windows Media Center on my laptop to Windows Media Center on my xbox but the streams suck regardless of my awesome internet connection and regardless of the fact that the Xbox and laptop n modem are all within 5 feet of each other... nobody in any Radio Shack or cell phone store within 20 miles knows how I can do this not even Best Buy's Geek Squad. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you very much...

war88

Reaction score
Well there's a way you can use DLNA to stream it from your phone directly to your Xbox instead of having to transfer it to your laptop first. I actually use DLNA servers to watch videos from my laptop to my PS3 and it works just fine for me. It also works fine streaming from my phone to the PS3 but I don't store movies on my phone so its not something I regularly do.

In order to stream from your phone you need to create a media server that your Xbox can see, similar to how you did with your laptop. The RazrM doesn't come with stock software that does this (that I'm aware of), but I can recommend the free app Bubble UPnP to do this. When you download Bubble UPnP it gives you lots of network options and you can enable a media server to share music, videos, and pictures over your network. It will also find other devices sharing things on the network and access their libraries and play their files if you wish (not required for what you want to do). I realize you had a bad experience with this already but it's worth downloading a free app and giving it a try with your phone. Also if you have a newer HDTV that connects wirelessly to networks, it may be DLNA capble itself and might stream the video better than your xbox.

Good luck, not sure why your wireless streaming wasn't working well. It doesn't have anything to do with how fast your internet connection is, it has to do with how good your wireless router is. The signal strength should be high if the devices are close to it. If the router doesn't support 802.11n or higher speeds that may be a factor, though I kind of doubt that. 802.11g should be good enough.

OP
G

GlockStar

Reaction score

thank you for your help I know I have a wireless N brand new router of high quality... I couldn't figure it out myself why it was so choppy and why I could not use my play rewind fast forward functions without completely freezing the whole deal.... my TV is newer but does not support DLNA itself. I will try your bubble app but I do not know how to work a dlna or any other types of technologies of the sort... took me forever to figure out just to get it to stream through Windows Media Center from my laptop to my 360. isn't there a type of wire that will hook from my phone via micro USB to HDMI where I could just hit play using MX player and it will show on my TV? my TV is a JVC black crystal3000. how come it does not work just to put that flash drive containing the movies into the USB port on the TV the TV does not even pick up the USB drive.

war88

Reaction score
thank you for your help I know I have a wireless N brand new router of high quality... I couldn't figure it out myself why it was so choppy and why I could not use my play rewind fast forward functions without completely freezing the whole deal.... my TV is newer but does not support DLNA itself. I will try your bubble app but I do not know how to work a dlna or any other types of technologies of the sort... took me forever to figure out just to get it to stream through Windows Media Center from my laptop to my 360. isn't there a type of wire that will hook from my phone via micro USB to HDMI where I could just hit play using MX player and it will show on my TV? my TV is a JVC black crystal3000. how come it does not work just to put that flash drive containing the movies into the USB port on the TV the TV does not even pick up the USB drive.
DLNA is just the name of a protocol/standard that devices use. It's not that hard to use. Just open up the app I suggested and under settings make sure that media server is enabled. Then on your xbox, whatever procedure you used it to find the media server on the network will be the same.

Unfortunately the Razr M doesn't have an HDMI or any kind of wired video output. This was one of the factors I considered when I purchased it. I've never heard of a micro USB cable that will convert to HDMI on the other end and will allow your TV to access the content. I don't think wired is an option at all here unfortunately. With a different phone, it would be an option.

That's a major problem with your TV if it doesn't even recognize the USB drive. I can't explain that. It says it can play pictures and music as well from USB so if it doesn't recognize anything on any drive, there's a problem. Maybe the issue is that you have to go into a menu on the TV to enable or access USB content. It doesn't always pop up with a notification that a drive has been installed like it does on computers.

OP
G

GlockStar

Reaction score
Wow thanks alot i appreciate the knowledge...will dig into my tv menus and try that route...i just couldn't figure out why a mhl adapter wouldn't do the trick since its basically the Micro USB to HDMI im looking for that allows me to link to tv...i don.t understand what mhl is i just plugged my sync cord into it then my hdmi to tv but obviously to no avail. Thanks again man ive asked every cell provider and radio shack in Minneapolis to no answers. Is it the same process when trying to view on a standard tube tv also as it is on a lcd ? because a Verizon rep also told me that if I can't find the Micro USB to HDMI wire that I can get a micro USB to component cable, the yellow red white audio video cable...but nobody has those.

war88

Reaction score
Wow thanks alot i appreciate the knowledge...will dig into my tv menus and try that route...i just couldn't figure out why a mhl adapter wouldn't do the trick since its basically the Micro USB to HDMI im looking for that allows me to link to tv...i don.t understand what mhl is i just plugged my sync cord into it then my hdmi to tv but obviously to no avail. Thanks again man ive asked every cell provider and radio shack in Minneapolis to no answers. Is it the same process when trying to view on a standard tube tv also as it is on a lcd ? because a Verizon rep also told me that if I can't find the Micro USB to HDMI wire that I can get a micro USB to component cable, the yellow red white audio video cable...but nobody has those.
No problem, I'm just trying to share what I know. I looked up what you were saying about MHL adapter, it seems like they do exist, I just have never seen or used them before. One product I found on Amazon says it works with certain phones. I'm guessing those phones have hardware in them that enables video output to be sent through the micro USB port where our phone may not. I'm not 100% sure that the Razr M doesn't allow video out of the microUSB port, but I believe it's more than likely that it doesn't. That was one of the knocks on the phone when it first came out and was being reviewed, that it didn't have any kind of HDMI wired output. So in that case, getting a micro USB to analog or component cable wouldn't help you either because it's the microUSB port that isn't supporting video output I believe.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to add insult, but the razr HD or the original razr should have been what you got instead of the m... the m is a stripped down version without the micro hdmi port.
This is one reason its cheaper than the rest.

OP
G

GlockStar

Reaction score
yeah but the razor M has jelly bean and it's also a beast of a phone

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The RAZR and RAZR HD both have Jellybean....

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2