Help Voice Search NOT CALLING

expo703

Reaction score
So i say "Call - Mom's Cell , Mobile" or whatever and it just keeps searching google for for results it doesn't bring up contacts or anything.. hwoever the voice dial does work. Help?

ryanm

Reaction score
You can change the search settings
Menu-Settings-Search-Searchable items

OP
E

expo703

Reaction score
Yeah - i know thx i have everything checked in Searchable Items- I dont get it.. When my device is in car mode whatever i say it just searches google it never searchs my phone... ill say "Call HOME" and it types in google "CALL HOME" and just gets google results.. Ill say navigate and directions and that works but "Call function does not" ideas????????????

J

JoeyNWZ

Voice Search and Voice Dial are two seperate apps. The are right next to each other when you pull up the application list.

OP
E

expo703

Reaction score
I understand that - but when your in navigation dock or in "car home" it says "Try saying" - "Call , John Doe, Mobile" well when ever i try saying "Call, ANYONEONE, Mobile" it search google... not calling anything but google searches their name.

J

JoeyNWZ

Your right, just tried it. I don't use the car function since i pair it up with bluetooth and use the in car contact list... But it looks like that have a nasty bug in the app, since it is pretty useless if you can make hands free calls.

OP
E

expo703

Reaction score
Yeah - this needs to be fixed in my opinion i guess i'm not the only one - i just saw a post with the same issue.

mtuozzo

Reaction score
solution to your problem

When I got my Droid 6 days ago I ran into the same problem. I took my old phone and my new phone to verizon the next day to have my contacts transferred and the voice search feature would never call any of my contacts but the voice dialer would. After some extensive searching I came across the answer. This assumes that your contacts are checked as searchable in the system search settings.

For the voice search feature, contacts are only searchable if they are Google contacts and more specifically, "My Contacts". The transfer that verizon did for me created "Phone-only Contacts". Google contacts are synced with your google account. Exchange contacts don't seem to work either. So I went online to verizon's backup assistant website and exported my contacts to a csv file. Then I went into my google account and imported those contacts. When doing so, make sure your contacts are "My Contacts" not just "All Contacts". It only works if they are under "My contacts" (or friends, family, etc which are subsets of my contacts).

I feel like this is a bug as it should search all contacts like the voice dialer but in the mean time this works for me.

Hope this helps.

dubbstyle

Reaction score
Crappy!!!

Google NEEDS to fix this problem. When I tell it to "call XXXX", it looks up "call XXXX" in a web search. I don't want web results for "call XXXX", I WANT TO CALL XXXX!!!! Now I have to go back to the home screen, and if I try dialing the number using number pad, I can't cause it won't show up in landscape mode. I actually have to go to the contacts list, try to find the numb....boom car accident.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Droideka

Reaction score
I found that behavior after deleting all my contacts on gmail. The phone still had my contacts in it, just not my Google account. After restoring, it worked again. That voice search app evidently uses your Google contacts only.

darkshadowgirl

Reaction score
When I got my Droid 6 days ago I ran into the same problem. I took my old phone and my new phone to verizon the next day to have my contacts transferred and the voice search feature would never call any of my contacts but the voice dialer would. After some extensive searching I came across the answer. This assumes that your contacts are checked as searchable in the system search settings.

For the voice search feature, contacts are only searchable if they are Google contacts and more specifically, "My Contacts". The transfer that verizon did for me created "Phone-only Contacts". Google contacts are synced with your google account. Exchange contacts don't seem to work either. So I went online to verizon's backup assistant website and exported my contacts to a csv file. Then I went into my google account and imported those contacts. When doing so, make sure your contacts are "My Contacts" not just "All Contacts". It only works if they are under "My contacts" (or friends, family, etc which are subsets of my contacts).

I feel like this is a bug as it should search all contacts like the voice dialer but in the mean time this works for me.

Hope this helps.

THis is exactly it. It was working fine when gmail contacts were synced.. But Gmail contacts is [Edited by FoxKat for content]. It freaking saves EVERY RANDOM email address I've ever sent to and puts them in 'my contacts'. I had 30 anonymous craigslist email addresses sync to my driod from Google! ARRGH

So I turned it off and now the Voice commands don't work... And apparently you can't control what google adds to your 'my contacts' list. You just have to keep going in and deleting the crap that it puts in there. What a PAIN in the A$$.

Makes me want to tear my hair out.

Last edited by a moderator: