HELP! Unroot to recieve OTA

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an Incredible 2 running stock gingerbread, which I rooted to delete the bloat. Tonight I checked for a software update (which i am now regretting) and found a 32mb update available. Based on my past readings, I was under the impression that the OTAs simply unrooted you, and installed the update. That would have been fine with me, becasue I only had rooted to delete the bloat.

My problem is that when the update tries to install, a triangle-exclamation point appears next to the blue android and I am stuck at that screen unless I hold the side buttons and power button at the same time. When that happens, the phone boots up for 30 seconds and tries to install the update without my input.

I would prefer not factory resetting and I do not want a custom rom (bad experiences with the D1), and no, i don't have a nandroid!

Any help would be great,

Thanks.

drico

Reaction score
I don't know of a way to unroot. I've been having the same problem as you. I simply restored my phone to its original root gingerbread state, but I still cannot install the OTA update as it gets the triangle-exclamation point. My advice would be to simply install the stock 2.3.4 gingerbread rom and radio.

drico

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the Stock 2.3.4 gingerbread rom so that root users can get the update?

estafusisx

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the Stock 2.3.4 gingerbread rom so that root users can get the update?

If you froze the bloat you can just unfreeze it and it SHOULD work. If you deleted it you'll need to find the .apk's again and install them back in the system apps. That SHOULD work but i can't say for sure. The other method is to install a stock 2.3.3 sense rom and take the update before you get rid of bloat, or just install a sense debated rooted 2.3.4 rom (i'm sure one exists by now but i haven't looked for it)

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

drico

Reaction score
If you froze the bloat you can just unfreeze it and it SHOULD work. If you deleted it you'll need to find the .apk's again and install them back in the system apps. That SHOULD work but i can't say for sure. The other method is to install a stock 2.3.3 sense rom and take the update before you get rid of bloat, or just install a sense debated rooted 2.3.4 rom (i'm sure one exists by now but i haven't looked for it)

You can't just install the OTA update as I currently have the stock 2.3.4 rom and having S-off or being rooted interferes with the update. I didn't freeze or remove any of the bloat ware either. And yeah the only option is to install the 2.3.4 rom.

OP
Dunnski21

Dunnski21

Reaction score
You can't just install the OTA update as I currently have the stock 2.3.4 rom and having S-off or being rooted interferes with the update. I didn't freeze or remove any of the bloat ware either. And yeah the only option is to install the 2.3.4 rom.

Where do i find this 2.3.4 rom?

OP
Dunnski21

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Ok so here's what i did: found the radio that was the main reason the OTA was released on a post in this subforum, flashed it, and freezed the updater2.3.apk with titanium backup. Now I have the updated radio, and no fear of an OTA ruining my day.

Thanks for everyone who chimed in, and if the stock 2.3.4 update ever becomes a flashable rom, please let me know!

NiceGuyJon

Reaction score
Ok so here's what i did: found the radio that was the main reason the OTA was released on a post in this subforum, flashed it, and freezed the updater2.3.apk with titanium backup. Now I have the updated radio, and no fear of an OTA ruining my day.

Thanks for everyone who chimed in, and if the stock 2.3.4 update ever becomes a flashable rom, please let me know!

Could you explain to me how to do that, from beginning to end? I am fairly annoyed because I have always resisted rooting, but decided to do it JUST TWO WEEKS AGO for one reason and one reason only- I bought a Toshiba Thrive tablet which is Wi Fi only, so I wanted to tether it to my Droid Incredible 2, effectively making my Thrive 3G. Well I rooted it, downloaded the tethering app, and was never able to tether my Thrive to it. It wouldn't work, apparently Verizon found a way to keep that from happening.

So I rooted two weeks ago to do exactly one thing, I couldn't do it, and now I am dealing with this stupid update nightmare. I have never flashed anything (except that one time back in college) and would not know how to begin. I am a quick learner though, so if you could explain to me exactly what I have to do to either a) unroot my phone so I can update or b) flash, freeze, massage, or offer up the proper sacrifice to my phone so that it will receive the benefits of the update and no longer automatically update so I don't have to deal with this anymore I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

OP
Dunnski21

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Could you explain to me how to do that, from beginning to end? I am fairly annoyed because I have always resisted rooting, but decided to do it JUST TWO WEEKS AGO for one reason and one reason only- I bought a Toshiba Thrive tablet which is Wi Fi only, so I wanted to tether it to my Droid Incredible 2, effectively making my Thrive 3G. Well I rooted it, downloaded the tethering app, and was never able to tether my Thrive to it. It wouldn't work, apparently Verizon found a way to keep that from happening.

So I rooted two weeks ago to do exactly one thing, I couldn't do it, and now I am dealing with this stupid update nightmare. I have never flashed anything (except that one time back in college) and would not know how to begin. I am a quick learner though, so if you could explain to me exactly what I have to do to either a) unroot my phone so I can update or b) flash, freeze, massage, or offer up the proper sacrifice to my phone so that it will receive the benefits of the update and no longer automatically update so I don't have to deal with this anymore I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Ok, well.... here goes my best shot.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-2-hacks/172627-new-1-09-01-0722-radio-now-available.html

This is the link to do what I did, which is not actually installing the official OTA but rather the key ingredient in that update, so technically I am still on 2.3.3.

in order to complete the instructions in the link, you must have the android sdk (google it to find it). Once you have the Sdk and the flies placed where they are supposed to be, plug in your phone to the computer via usb, make sure fast boot is off and usb debugging is on, and do not turn on htc media sync. Once the phone is plugged in to your computer, open the command prompt and "cd" to your android sdk ("cd C:\android-sdk_r12-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools" or wherever on the C drive your sdk downloaded to.) the rest of the steps can be found on the link, and as long as you read carefully, there is no trouble.

The other thing I did to eliminate future OTA notifications, is using the app Titanium backup to freeze the app titled "updater 2.3" . I can simply unfreeze the app if a time ever comes.

Now this remedied my situation, but I am still not technically updated. I posted this topic hoping somebody would have an easy unroot method, but that wasn't the case so this is what I did.

Good luck with everything, hope this helps.

sjpritch25

Reaction score
I know the revolutionary team is working on a fix for 2.3.4. Until the post a beta fix, all I can say is be patient.