HELP! SD card won't mount

kmlewis

Reaction score
I have done a search and could find discussions on this and the only thing I have heard is updating the software on the Galaxy S4, or turning off the phone, remove battery, replace batery and restart...I have tried all of this and my problem persists.

The Micro SD card is a PNY micro SD HC 32 GB card and it worked just fine for several months since I bought the phone new. For a couple of weeks now the phone won't recognize the card, when I go to storage settings under the micro SD section it says "Mount SD card, insert SD card" when the card is installed.

Like I said, this has worked for months with no problems and I have not made any changes or have ever removed it before this happened. And yes I am sure my phone software is up to date. Some other discussions mentioned "remounting" the card... but no ever mentions HOW to do that! They said they had to do it after every reboot, which would be at least a step in the right direction and allow me to use the music stored on my card. Please help! Thanks in advance.

GVLBob

Reaction score
1. Have you tried to read the card on your PC?
2. Have you removed the card and re-installed it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bbtkd

Reaction score
I'd try a premium card such as a Sandisk Extreme/Extreme Plus/Extreme Pro. Buy from a reputable source since there are counterfeits out there.

silverfang77

Reaction score
MicroSD cards have the durability of toys and cannot be trusted as long term storage.

OP
K

kmlewis

Reaction score
the card was bought at best buy. yes I tried removing replacing it. this is the one the guy that sold me the cell phone recommended.

OP
K

kmlewis

Reaction score
I also have only had this phone for about 4 months

bbtkd

Reaction score
the card was bought at best buy. yes I tried removing replacing it. this is the one the guy that sold me the cell phone recommended.

IMHO;
1) Never listen to Best Buy (or Radio Shaft) sales people or "experts". I've been an electronics hobbyist for almost 50 years, and have been told some incredible fiction by BB/RS staff. According to them, everything they sell is the best and exactly what you need, while anything they don't sell either does not really exist or is worthless.
2) PNY has improved a lot from early days - kind of the Hyundai of the electronics world, but are still not in the league with SanDisk. Still - silverfang77 is correct in saying that flash memory as deployed in SD cards and thumb drives should not be counted on. SSD units have built-in redundancy to improve reliability. Wonder how long before we have SSD in phones?

GVLBob

Reaction score
1. Have you tried to read the card on your PC?
2. Have you removed the card and re-installed it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You said you tried suggestion #2, but have you tried suggestion #1? There are ways to repair the file structure for the SD card. And you could always just reformat the card, assuming that you have a backup of the information on the card.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
The mystery of SD Card failures! They don't degrade, and give errors, they just fail. Do you have a card reader that will plug into a USB plug? Remove card, try not to touch the gold pins, clean with an alcohol wipe, wait for it to dry thoroughly and insert the card into the USB slot. Cross your fingers it works. If not, it's usually toast. Try a couple of inserts into USB reader where you may make a connection. If you make the connection, quickly copy all content onto your pc, and get another SD Card. If it reads easily, with no problems, try it in another phone, if you can. If it works in both the USB reader & another phone, it's the USB slot on your phone. If phone was bought from black Friday through December, return phone for a DOA (dead on arrival) until January 15th. If bought at another time, it's a warranty swap. If it's the card, the manufacturer probably has a 5 year or greater warranty. Go to PNY web site for warranty assistance. Good luck!

Phil0702

Reaction score
how I fixed it for me

I have done a search and could find discussions on this and the only thing I have heard is updating the software on the Galaxy S4, or turning off the phone, remove battery, replace batery and restart...I have tried all of this and my problem persists.

The Micro SD card is a PNY micro SD HC 32 GB card and it worked just fine for several months since I bought the phone new. For a couple of weeks now the phone won't recognize the card, when I go to storage settings under the micro SD section it says "Mount SD card, insert SD card" when the card is installed.

Like I said, this has worked for months with no problems and I have not made any changes or have ever removed it before this happened. And yes I am sure my phone software is up to date. Some other discussions mentioned "remounting" the card... but no ever mentions HOW to do that! They said they had to do it after every reboot, which would be at least a step in the right direction and allow me to use the music stored on my card. Please help! Thanks in advance.

My Solution;

I came here for advice after my cheap card stopped working, and yes it works in my PC. I determined that I wasn't pushing it in far enough, there was a soft click and it mounted again. I had removed it to off load photos as the wireless app was just too slow