[HELP] Rooting Thunderbolt

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
A friend of mine owns an Htc thunderbolt. Im assuming he has the latest updates and everything.

Iv done some research and have not really found anything to help me. So all I need is how to root it, and get a custom recovery.

Once I do that im pretty sure its the same as flashing a rom to any phone.

SSX 2.0 and underclocked to 800mhz with ultra low voltages.

OP
H

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
Bump... anyone?

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
If you don't think you can root your phone yourself (you can but you are really scared to) then use auto root.

This auto-root literally requires you have enough computer literacy to locate a USB port and press the space bar a few times thats about it.

agt7575

Reaction score
The auto root was posted in April 2011. I downloaded and installed the OTA from 07/08. I want to root my phone but still maintain the exact versions of software and radio that I now have after the 07/08 ota update. What different or up dated files do I need to accomplish this. (links please)

Once rooted and I decide which GB version I want to use (ie BAMF) what current files would I need then?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
The auto root was posted in April 2011. I downloaded and installed the OTA from 07/08. I want to root my phone but still maintain the exact versions of software and radio that I now have after the 07/08 ota update. What different or up dated files do I need to accomplish this. (links please)

Once rooted and I decide which GB version I want to use (ie BAMF) what current files would I need then?

You can't root and keep the exact same rom you have now with updates. It just doesn't work that way.

If you follow the auto root i posted above it will bring you back to a stable stock froyo rom though.

You can make a back up in that state incase you don't like the GB ROM you flash.

The only file you will need is the .zip file for the ROM you want to flash.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO FLASH A GINGERBREAD ROM YOU HAVE TO FLASH A NEW RADIO!

I didn't know this the first time i flashed a gb rom and i didn't know why my phone had no service.

so pick a rom from the roms section and download the .zip file for it.

1. you put the .zip file on your sdcard

2. boot into recovery

3. factory reset / wipe data (most people say 3x to be safe)

4. select install zip from SD then select the .zip file of the rom you want to install.

5. Select reboot system.

**IF YOU WANT TO FLASH A GINGERBREAD ROM**

1. Download this radio

2. rename PG05IMG.zip

3. put on root of your sd card

4. Turn on phone while holding volume down to boot into hboot

5. update PG05IMG.zip

the mr2 update will not work on froyo so don't flash it unless you are planning on using a gb rom.

OP
H

haxerpaylay

Reaction score

You can't root and keep the exact same rom you have now with updates. It just doesn't work that way.

If you follow the auto root i posted above it will bring you back to a stable stock froyo rom though.

You can make a back up in that state incase you don't like the GB ROM you flash.

I didn't know this the first time i flashed a gb rom and i didn't know why my phone had no service.

2. boot into recovery

4. select install zip from SD then select the .zip file of the rom you want to install.

5. Select reboot system.

1. Download this radio

2. rename PG05IMG.zip

5. update PG05IMG.zip

the mr2 update will not work on froyo so don't flash it unless you are planning on using a gb rom.

Ok bro ill tell my friend. Thanks!

adalvare

Reaction score
I followed the directions and the phone is stuck in Thunderbolt boot screen. Somebody please help

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
plus i would use the auto root method if your not used to adb. or the three step root found in the hacks thread or the thunderbolt section.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
How do you recover things like game data? Like angry birds and cut the rope? Not to mention calendar dates (does Google save those) and application data.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via DroidForums.

ssleepyz

Reaction score

2. boot into recovery

5. Select reboot system.

1. Download this radio

2. rename PG05IMG.zip

5. update PG05IMG.zip

Thanks!
Question:
So if I'm on froyo now, I should just pick a rom (BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9) and flash it? I haven't done the OTA 7/08 update yet. Also after flashing that, I should flash the radios? Then I'll be set?

Also if I don't want GB anymore do I just do a restore and my phone will be all good?