Help rooting Droid Razr 4.1.2?

djnolo

Reaction score
the only thing I did was download the superuser.apk and su to desktop and move them to the folder adb is in.Then ran the commands
adb shell
su if you don't get the # sign here it will not work.
exit
exit
adb push su /sdcard/
adb push superuser.apk /sdcard/
adb shell
su
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/
cp /sdcard/superuser.apk /system/app/
then rebooted, ran voodoo and it asked for su permissions.then ran root check to make sure and all was good.
I'm not sure if this will work for anyone else.That's just what I did,but all apps that need root permissions are working and android tether is working.

Were you in JB 4.1.2 and then went back to .211? Even if you were or were not can you give me step by step info on how to get my Razr back rooted? I want to make sure I open and download the right files. I am now currently running an UnRooted JB 4.1.2 Razr!!:frown:

Last edited:

jcarlosfox

Reaction score
So getting root on my razr maxx after the OTA jellybean update is possible?

Not yet. If you were rooted before the update and used voodoo to preserve the root, it is possible. If your root was lost in spite if using voodoo, then there is a utility out there to help restore root.

If you did not use voodoo, then for now you are out of luck. There is a bounty being offered on another site to inspire developers into action, and while these guys and gals usually work for the fun and the thanks, money is nice too.

So, if root is important to you, maybe you can contribute to the bounty.

djnolo

Reaction score
I might have already jumped the gun because I tried to go back and restore to .211 using Utility 1.82 and I lost root all together. So now I flashed the JB update but I have no root at all. Can I use Matty P Restore Root Utility and get root back even though I'm running 4.1.2?

jcarlosfox

Reaction score
I might have already jumped the gun because I tried to go back and restore to .211 using Utility 1.82 and I lost root all together. So now I flashed the JB update but I have no root at all. Can I use Matty P Restore Root Utility and get root back even though I'm running 4.1.2?

When you flashed the JB update you deleted your restoration files.

There is nothing left to restore.

You have to wait for someone to root JB or create a path from JB back to 211.

So far, those options do not exist. Yet.

djnolo

Reaction score

Okay then cool. On to the waiting game then!!

CamoMike

Reaction score

I cannot stress this enough @jcarlosfox. Once you go to JB (update/kernel) you cannot go back to ICS to gain root. Its a one time deal or else you will have to restore like I did and it wasn't fun figuring that out...

jcarlosfox

Reaction score
I cannot stress this enough @jcarlosfox. Once you go to JB (update/kernel) you cannot go back to ICS to gain root. Its a one time deal or else you will have to restore like I did and it wasn't fun figuring that out...

Glad you found a path.

Is it something that can be repeated, or is your success something that came from hits and misses and no discernable way to duplicate?

Reading your other post it sounds like you bricked your phone, and forced ICS 215 back on after scrambling the kernel. (Kind of like giving CPR... only works some of the time.) If that is the case, I'm happy for you, but the rest of us will have to wait.

djnolo

Reaction score
OMG!!!!! I'm finally back ROOTed!! Feels good to have my phone back feeling useful again! Thanks to Mr. Root.
ROOT on brother!!:icon_ lala:

CamoMike

Reaction score
Confirmed working!

I am updating my bricked FIX to fix boot now...

All, its very easy to say thanks, but for all his efforts, do the right thing and at least send $5 bux for a beer. Everyone's time is valuable, and money changing hands is the best compliment for his work - http://goo.gl/zBGb0.

Last edited:

djnolo

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced their tether not activating with 4.1.2?

No MAXXation without representation!