Help Plz: Phone bootloops on M logo. SBFed multiple times. Cannot get into recovery.

vtnerd

Reaction score
I've been mucking around with this all day and I give up.

While standing in line for the Nexus this morning, I turned my D2 off. When I attempted to turn it back on, it got to the Motorola logo (GB) and then rebooted. Over and over and over. I pulled the battery and tried again. Same thing. I tried to hold X and press power button to get into recovery, it just shows the M logo and reboots over and over.

History of the D2 (as best I can recall):
1) From Froyo, rooted and went to Liberty.
2) Went to Apex (can't recall exact details but it worked).
3) Had problems with Apex that got worse and worse over time (phone would reboot multiple times before finally loading Android - one day it rebooted over and over and over and that's when I SBFed back to Froyo)
4) Missed Apex, saw Apex 2 RC3 was out, went to Apex 2 RC3.
5) Had problem with Apex 2 RC3 (one day phone just rebooted over and over and over)
6) SBFed back to Froyo and then updated to GB. I had problems here in the past, but it eventually worked and I hadn't had any problems with the phone in about a month.

I've tried multiple versions of RSD Lite and multiple versions of the Motorola drivers. I've used VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf to SBF. I've re-downloaded this sbf file multiple times. The SBF process never shows any errors and always runs completely up to the point of the phone rebooting with no problems.

I tried to catch the phone with "adb restart recovery" since I can't do the power button + X to get into recovery, but I can never catch it and I only ever see "error: device not found."

I've pulled the battery. Dozens of times. It never does anything except end the Moto logo boot loop. I cannot get into recovery to wipe the cache and data which is what is probably the problem based on my limited understanding and the reading I've been doing all night.

The only thing I can get to is the bootloader (if that's the right term... power button + up arrow). It's version D2.37. I've seen people mention going back to D2.35 but I cannot locate a file to accomplish this anywhere so I'm not sure if there's a reason for that or not.

I do have the Nexus now, so the D2 not working is no big deal but the plan was to give it to my son to use as a non-phone Android equivalent to the iPod Touch.

Does anyone have any idea what to do to fix this? Am I posting in the right spot?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

lizard

Reaction score
After you sbf and the phone reboots itself, how long are you waiting before you pull battery? On the first bootup it may take longer than you think. The latest version of RSD is like 5.5. The last version I have I used to sbf was 4.9. I don't think 4.7 will work. Not sure if you have the right file. Most people use TBH Triple Threat. There are links all over. Your phone still turns on and boots so sbfing should fix it, you just have to get the right stuff together.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

catfisher

Reaction score
A buggy download can cause all kinds of issues trying to SBF. Ensure a good file download, updated drivers, and newest RSD version. I had that issue with my D2 a while back. Shaddy quality file was giving me fits. I downloaded a good clean copy from the actual developer and it went through with no issues.

**Side Note:**
While RSD is running, leave it alone. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes not so long. Either way, follow exact (EXACT) directions, if you are having problems, and leave the phone alone until it boots up all the way.

rustydogg

Reaction score
The first time I loaded GB on my phone it took awhile for it to go pass the M logo. A few minutes I would say. I almost pulled the battery and started again. I think I took a break and when I came back it was good to go. Also this worked for me from the CM7 update.
NOTE: If you get stuck in a boot loop after SBFing back to Froyo, go into stock recovery and wipe data/cache and reboot. Instructions for getting into stock recovery are below in step 3
This tip worked for me when I got stuck at the M when I huh SBFed back to Froyo.

OP
V

vtnerd

Reaction score
After you sbf and the phone reboots itself, how long are you waiting before you pull battery? On the first bootup it may take longer than you think. The latest version of RSD is like 5.5. The last version I have I used to sbf was 4.9. I don't think 4.7 will work. Not sure if you have the right file. Most people use TBH Triple Threat. There are links all over. Your phone still turns on and boots so sbfing should fix it, you just have to get the right stuff together.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

About 5 minutes. The phone doesn't sit at the M logo like it previously has (and like the directions indicate it should) though. It either doesn't turn back on or goes back into a loop of M logo, off, M logo off, etc.

I tried RSD 4.7 w/ patch and 4.8. I was following these directions: Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers . I'm doing them all except step 7 because the phone doesn't boot to the point of doing backups. I'm following them to the letter all the way up to version numbers (moto drivers, RSD, etc). The train goes off the tracks on step 11. I can't do substeps A through F because recovery is unavailable for some strange reason. I have been using the Triple Threat download and I even re-downloaded it, but I did not check the MD5. I will verify that the MD5 is correct. I guess it also won't hurt to try a newer version of RSD.

A buggy download can cause all kinds of issues trying to SBF. Ensure a good file download, updated drivers, and newest RSD version. I had that issue with my D2 a while back. Shaddy quality file was giving me fits. I downloaded a good clean copy from the actual developer and it went through with no issues.

**Side Note:**
While RSD is running, leave it alone. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes not so long. Either way, follow exact (EXACT) directions, if you are having problems, and leave the phone alone until it boots up all the way.

I'll try the newest version of RSD and moto drivers. I was attempting to follow the directions I linked above (and found repeated elsewhere) verbatim and most reference 4.7 w/ patch, 4.8 or 4.9. And I'll check the MD5 on the download.

I never touch RSD while it's running. It runs fairly quickly. I could let it boot loop for 10 minutes, but I know that it's not supposed to happen because I have SBFed in the past. I know it's supposed to sit at the M logo on the first boot, but it doesn't.

The first time I loaded GB on my phone it took awhile for it to go pass the M logo. A few minutes I would say. I almost pulled the battery and started again. I think I took a break and when I came back it was good to go. Also this worked for me from the CM7 update.
NOTE: If you get stuck in a boot loop after SBFing back to Froyo, go into stock recovery and wipe data/cache and reboot. Instructions for getting into stock recovery are below in step 3
This tip worked for me when I got stuck at the M when I huh SBFed back to Froyo.

After SBF, the phone either doesn't turn back on at all (I have to turn it back on, it goes back to boot loop) or it turns back on by itself and goes back into a boot loop. Either way, it does not sit at the M logo like would be expected and like I have experienced during "successful" SBFs before.

I am trying to wipe the data and cache, but the problem is that I cannot get into recovery. Holding X + power button either does nothing (typically the first time I turn it on after SBF) or it turns on and goes back into a loop of M logo, off, M logo, off, etc. Unless you have a different button combination to get there, I'm afraid I can't do recovery.

------

Thanks for the replies so far. I will check the MD5 and try the newest version of RSD and the newest version of the Motorola drivers.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it's failing when you press power while holding X, then release the power button you can wait until the M logo appears and when the blue light flashes in the upper right hand corner hit the down volume button. This will get you into the alternate recovery and still allow you to wipe cache/data.

Also, as mentioned above sometimes when you SBF it will bootloop, and if so you need to continue to let it run for at least a few minutes before you wipe.