help..phone wont recognize computer

stabl4life82

Reaction score
when i plug my droid 3 into my computer, it isnt coming up with anything..it is only charging and i dont have the option in the notification bar to do anything..i cant find it on my pc either...i have changed usb ports and cords...it was working fine 2 days ago..the only thing i have done is installed the new improved rom that is on here..everything else works fine as well....i did defrost more apps after installed the new rom and i even went back and unfrosted them to see if that was the issue and it wasnt...what can i try or do?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I don't think there are any ROMs yet for this phone. You must be talkiing about having rooted your phone, or having applied the update.

hoytpr

Reaction score
I had the same problem. My USB simply did not detect any computers, and the computers did not detect the DROID3. I'd only had the phone 3 days and the store wanted to send me a refurbished one. I held out for a new phone and when I plugged it in at home it worked!. But then at work, the same thing happened... it'll charge the phone, but not "synch-up".

FWIW: I did install the latest USB drivers, but I noticed at work that there must be a really large power draw on the USB. I tried every USB port including one on a hub (yes, I know they say not to do that). The hub's LED nearly went dark! This phone really sucks juice. Well, last night I plugged my phone in to the charger at home, and in the dark room, there was an easily visible SPARK! I suggest everyone plug the micro-USB in first, then plug in the USB at the charger.

What's up with these USBs? The store people acted like it was really odd... clearly that's not true as my research shows this is a common problem, and I have two phones in a row with one just barely better than the other. (The phone serial numbers were only a few hundred apart). Oh, yes I was on the phone with tech support for a couple hours and yes I tried the hard rest. THe phone is great otherwise, except for the long pauses sometimes when hitting the "back" button.

-pete

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The USB standard dictates what the current is for the bus. I don't think the phone drawing more power is an accurate assumption.

If it happens again, restart both devices and if the problem still exists, try on another computer.

hoytpr

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. But I have read and researched this extensively. I certainly restarted both devices (especially after downloading MOTOs drivers). I also tried this on at least six computers, albeit all running XP or XPx64. The phone works on one of those computers, not on any others. If this phone isn't drawing more current than the average USB device, then there are a lot of computer part suppliers and system sellers (Dell, Gigabyte, Asus, Supermicro) that don't know what they are doing. Also, I've never seen an USB device spark when plugged in before. I like this phone, but it seems USB-unfriendly.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. But I have read and researched this extensively. I certainly restarted both devices (especially after downloading MOTOs drivers). I also tried this on at least six computers, albeit all running XP or XPx64. The phone works on one of those computers, not on any others. If this phone isn't drawing more current than the average USB device, then there are a lot of computer part suppliers and system sellers (Dell, Gigabyte, Asus, Supermicro) that don't know what they are doing. Also, I've never seen an USB device spark when plugged in before. I like this phone, but it seems USB-unfriendly.

Well I can't speak to your assertion about the parts suppliers, but if there is a spark when you plug it in then something, somewhere is seriously wrong. As I understand it, most USB ports are current limited to 500 mA though a confirmation search turned up a page claiming that some MB manufacturers do some level of phone detection and perhaps are allowing more if a phone is connected. Either way, sparks would seem to indicate a problem.

hoytpr

Reaction score
The wall charger lists at 850 mA.

Well I just want to followup with a small admission. At least some of the problems were USB cablen related. I was able to get one of the ccomputers at work to sync-up with this phone using a different cable (the one that can be removed from the charger). So it is possible that with a good enough cable the phone will work okay (the MOTO drivers are needed though). So mea culpa. All my claims are not valid until some retesting is done. I apologize for the confusion. MAYBE the other cablles were only rated at USB1.1? I don't want to provide innacurate information.

rvcjew

Reaction score
Any micro USB to USB cable should work with this phone as for the computer not seeing it do you mean to just charge it or to see the files on it? To see the files on it you must bring down the notification bar then hit USB then choose USB mass storage. To use charge only mode it should work without the moto drivers, mine did i only needed the drivers for use with ADB.

hoytpr

Reaction score
Any micro USB to USB cable should work with this phone as for the computer not seeing it do you mean to just charge it or to see the files on it? To see the files on it you must bring down the notification bar then hit USB then choose USB mass storage. To use charge only mode it should work without the moto drivers, mine did i only needed the drivers for use with ADB.
@rvcjew: Yeah, I work around computers a LOT. I definitely know about the notification bar and setting the phone to MASS storage. Thanks for the suggestions though. I have cables right now that look like perfectly good cables that will charge, but not synch-up my phone. Yet another cable does both. The only other time I had a similar problem was when I had a computer that was using USB1.1 cables to the front ports. I replaced them with USB 2 cables and they worked perfectly. (Although, I don't recall micro-USB existing before USB 2.0, so that's odd).

I just want to get to the bottom of this. Ideally, my phone could replace all these silly jump drives I carry around continuously that all lose their caps.

Last edited:

davishusband

Reaction score
I don't think there are any ROMs yet for this phone. You must be talkiing about having rooted your phone, or having applied the update.

Yeah he said he unfrosted something that means he's rooted

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!