HELP!!! phone restarts constantly and locks up often

mgraves8

Reaction score
what would cause this. phone is on. . . then restarts w/ out any apparent reason. .. . even does this when i'm using it. . . . also, can be doing something. . . messaging or browsing on the market and it will lock up.. . . can't do anything with it. . . . very frustrated. PLEASE HELP:icon_evil:

NVtornado

Reaction score
Minre was doing the same thing along with the browser closing. I took it back to Best Buy got a replacement and the new one works great.

kennyg23

Reaction score
My first one did the exact same thing at the store trying to activate it. They replaced it for me with a brand new one that works great.

Neutrax

Reaction score
Just bought this thing!

I bought the phone yesterday. about 2 hours after i got it home i was trying to send an email and it locked up and restarted all by it self. later last night was trying to open the browser and it locked up completely still had sound functioning but the screen was black. just about 5 min ago it happend again ending a call was talk to someone said cya looked to hang up and screen was black and unresponsive tried unlock button on top and wouldnt do anything 3 battery pulls in just nearly 26 hours that i have had this. Is this going to be an issue should i scrap it and something else or what can be done to fix this

kennyg23

Reaction score
The phone has a 1 year warranty, so get it replaced for now and when they come out with an updated version if yours is still broken, have them replace it again with that.

OP
M

mgraves8

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Went back to the store and swapped phones. No problems now. :icon_ banana:

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I'm having problems too. Seems this thing has restarted about 10 times since I've been sitting at the computer. It can be during normal navigation and sometimes even with the phone being idle on my desk. I also noticed the phone restart when the sales guy was activating it. He turned his back to me trying to hide it but I noticed it anyway, not knowing it was going to continue restarting so often.

I suppose I might have to replace mine as well.

EDIT: I'm going to try the factory reset first, if that doesnt work by tomorrow afternoone, I'll get a replacement. I have hear some users had good luck just by using the factory reset option.

UPDATE: About 30 minutes later. Have not had any lock ups or restarts yet. Seems like this might have actually fixed the problem. Recommend trying this before going for a replacement, as it could be a simple install/software error. It did force restart on activation at the store, so this is makes sense.

The phone will auto download your apps and contacts after you login to your gmail account. You will lose custom settings on your apps (and the phone) though. The background picture still remained set for me though.

Will update later if I remember, seems like this fixed it though. Peace =]

Last edited:

suzukimethod

Reaction score
I'm torn. My understanding is that apps cant system crash the linux kernel (hard reboot, shows moto logo), but that they can cause a "runtime crash" where the device resets (droid, eye, no moto logo). Mine has done both, but the runtime crashes are a lot more frequent (maybe 1 a day) - and the system crashes have happened maybe 3-4x since Nov 6th.

I really dont want to swap devices. Is there any reason an app could crash a system kernel? I'm about to install the SDK so i can capture the panic logs next time it crashes...but that probably makes it sound like i know more about this than i do.

Reaction score
So I just swapped my phone out for another one and I'm still having the same random restart issue. Is this a hardware defect or is it just software? I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting another phone. Should I just wait and see what happens with the software update? I do have insurance on the phone anyway

DRLyman

Reaction score
On my second replacement and I'm having the same issues all over again. This is getting old. Guess I get to call VZ on Monday and have them send me out another one. As bad as my Storm was, it was never this bad...

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has learned anything about this? I have had my droid for almost a month and it did a restart for the first time today while I was talking to someone on the phone. It has not happened before that I know of. The phone was in the seidio car mount and I was talking to someone on the speaker phone when all of a sudden I though I had a dropped call. Then I saw the droid eye and the phone was turning back on. Has this happened to anyone else? I have not had any other issues with the phone prior to this and hopefully this was a one time thing.