Help me keep my Droid X please!

Recon77

Reaction score
Ok I purchased the Droid X 2 days ago and I am already about to return it unless I can find some answers to the problems I am having. I am coming off of the Blackberry Tour so I may be spoiled with the email capabilites, but here goes.

Problem #1
Can't sync with outlook? (I dont want to go through some backdoor way and pay some company $15-$40 to sync it to my gmail account and in turn sync it to my droid. Hoping 2.2 will solve this issue please link me the site if you have information showing this will be possible with 2.2.

Problem #2
How do you copy and paste on an email that I recieve? I tried everything from tapping to double tapping, menu key, and nothing allows me to copy text in an email and paste it somewhere else. I am able to tap a number and call it but cannot copy.

Problem #3
Email signatures, why can I only use 1 signature. Does droid not realize that I dont want to have my business signature on my personal emails? I use several different signatures for my 4 different email accounts but cannot setup different ones for each. Any thoughts?

Problem #4
This one is just me being picky but wondering if there is a solution. I have a company name with their number saved in my phone, for example Best Buy and the number is xxx-xxxx. I also have 6 contacts that work at that very best buy so therefore there work number is the exact same. No matter who I get a call from at the store I get one of the 6 contacts as being the person calling me (looks like it is going alphabetical order). This was not a problem for my BB Tour, somehow it new that even though they all had the same work number, it still just displayed the store name. Hope this make since.

Problem #5
I sent an email from my IMAP account and couldnt find the email I sent to save my life. I looked in all mail box sent folders, outbox, send later and it was no where to be found. I would like to hope I can keep the messages I send on my phone.

Problem #6
Cannot delete emails off of the server? Anyone know how to do this on any account other than GMAIL?

These are my main concerns. I promise I am not a droid basher, I really do want to keep this phone as I do love the features it does have but I need my phone more for work than I do for pleasure so these problems are definitely a deal breaker for me. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

lewwill

Reaction score
You are obviously a much more experienced smart phone user than I am, this is my first and I have had it since July 15. Every day is a learning experience and it is very capable. I can't answer all you questions but a web search for how to import contacts gave me that answer. It worked great, even surprised me. Keep the X!

Reaction score
Copy and Paste I was able to do by long pressing on the text field I wanted to copy. Not sure if that will work in ALL areas, but it worked in the few where I needed to copy something.

As for your mail problems... you can't currently sync your Outlook mail with Android, unless you use IMAP. In case of email in general, stop using the stock mail client and download K-9 Mail from the market (it's free) and set that up. It allows signatures per account, deletes mail from the server, etc. I've been extremely happy with it.

Those seem to be your more major issues, so I did not respond to anything else. For every thing you cannot do, there is a reason you cannot do it (read: stock apps) and a solution to not being able to do so.

Good luck. Try to not over think the problems and you will be far happier.

Reaction score
I don't understand where all of you are getting the info on not being able to sync through outlook. I have my work email pushed to my phone just fine, notification and all. Granted we are on Server 2010 and Outlook 2010, which might have something to do with it, but there are other ways. Touchdown and other 3rd party apps work fine. All it takes is a little searching and you should be able to find most of your answers.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Problem #1
Can't sync with outlook? (I dont want to go through some backdoor way and pay some company $15-$40 to sync it to my [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]gmail[/COLOR][/COLOR] account and in turn sync it to my droid. Hoping 2.2 will solve this issue please link me the site if you have information showing this will be possible with 2.2.

Are you using exchange, or is this a stand alone version of Outlook on your pc? If this is a stand alone version of Outlook on your pc, you options are limited. This was my situation. I did try a couple of the paid apps without much luck. And I have heard nothing about 2.2 resolving this issue. I had to choose between outlook and the Droid. I ended up migrating my Outlook data (except for notes and tasks which wouldnt really transfer) to gmail. I dont use Outlook anymore, and I miss it.:icon_evil:

Reaction score
I don't understand where all of you are getting the info on not being able to sync through outlook. I have my work email pushed to my phone just fine, notification and all. Granted we are on Server 2010 and Outlook 2010, which might have something to do with it, but there are other ways. Touchdown and other 3rd party apps work fine. All it takes is a little searching and you should be able to find most of your answers.

IMAP is the only way you are going to get your "Outlook" mail on your Android device. The only things you can really migrate FROM Outlook itself is contact data and calendar data. The .PST files, as far as I know, are not very easy to import into Android.

Anyway, I only use my GMail accounts on the phone (I use them for business and one for pleasure ;)) and those are IMAP, so the push is working fine here.

lewwill

Reaction score
I have Outlook, Gmail, and Hotmail (Windows Live Mail) accounts on my X along with all of my Outlook contacts including email addresses, phone nrs. (home, mobile, work, etc.). All accounts work fine. I migrated the contacts by the link I posted. I do not use exchange.

tj1772

Reaction score
I can get to my sent emails by search and type "mail".

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I have Outlook, Gmail, and Hotmail (Windows Live Mail) accounts on my X along with all of my Outlook contacts including email addresses, phone nrs. (home, mobile, work, etc.). All accounts work fine. I migrated the contacts by the link I posted. I do not use exchange.

Lew,
Are you saying that you can view/update Outlook data on your phone (like appointments, tasks...ect), and these items are syncd to your pc? (and the other way around?)

Please be specific about what Outook data you are using (contacts, email, memos, appt events....), and how it is synced to your pc/desktop.

Thanks.

deezlsjnsn

Reaction score
I am trying to use my own domain email supported by Windows Office Live on my Droid X. It is my work account and is hosted by Windows Office Live. I can receive email but can't send. Did you ever find out how to fix this?