HELP ME DECIDE (Moto Droid vs. HTC Incred)

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you figure that? I'm OCed to 1.3 ghz... Not that the actual cpu speed matters as we are comparing two completely different processors. A 1ghz Snapdragon processor probably doesn't equal a 1ghz ARM A8 Cortex processor.

My overclocked Droid doesn't hold a candle to my friends N1 and his is at standard speed. Beside that the Droid Incredible runs a newer version of the snapdragon then what is on the Nexus One.

The incredible and N1 have higher clock speed but clock speed isn't the most important characteristic of a CPU. Do you think Motorola picked a CPU for their phone that would be "beat" in less than 3 months? The difference between the N1 and the Droid are hardly noticeable so far. The additional ram might help but I don't see it helping enough to make the incredible an obvious choice.

No, the difference between them are noticeable. The measurement of clock speed (MHz) is not a true measurement of the speed of a processor. If you want to measure the speed you measure it by Clock Cycles (Snapdragon has more clock cycles). MHz is really nothing but just a way to sell chips. Kinda like the misconception of a camera's Mega Pixels. Mega Pixels don't mean squat. A true measurement is the size of the lens and how much light it lets in. That's why some lower MP camera's take better pictures then higher MP ones. The lenses is better.
Instructions per clock cycle? Because clock cycle per second = hz.

Lens isnt the only thing that is important, the size of the sensor is important for cameras. That is why at 5MP DSLR looks a lot better than a 5MP point and shoot or cell phone camera.

You don't understand, its not the same. Clock cycle = Instructions per cycle. Clock speed = Cycles per second (hz). Its both of them being multiplied. A core 2 duo at 3gz is going to be slower then a I7 at the same speed. The number of instructions per second for a processor can be derived by multiplying the instructions per cycle and the clock speed (measured in cycles per second or Hertz [Hz]) of the processor in question. The number of instructions per second (Clock Cycles) is an approximate indicator of the likely performance of the processor.

I don't understand your point on the camera. I knew this already, and it just confirms what I said about MPs are not a good way to measure cameras.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that the firmware is 100% the problem. For example, the stock android browser on both the Droid and the N1 is the same, yet the browser on the N1 cannot show 24 bit color and shows 16 bit color. The Droid, once it received its update, cannot show 24 bit color in its gallery anymore, it shows 16 bit. However, the browser still shows 24 bit color.

No. The N1's browser is still 24 bit color. The only thing that was dumbed down was the gallery (this was confirmed by Google by the way). It has nothing to do with what the screens are capable of.

Android 2.1 at Fault for Nexus One Screen Issues? Droid Owners Beware! AndroidBoss

really? multiple people report that the browser is also 16 bit color.

Well I'm looking at my friends nexus right now, and its in 24 or higher bit. As a graphic artist, I can tell if something is in 16 bit. Its not hard, and there are plenty of multiple reports that confirm this. I'm going to go by what I see right in front of me. You're just going to have to compare it for your self when you get the chance.

gszeman

Reaction score
I too debated on returning my Droid for the Incredible (I'm within my 30 days). But I've decided to keep my Droid...it does everything I need it to do, it's fast enough for my needs and I love the feel of it...the Incredible just feels cheap to me (I had access to a nonworking shell). I guess that was my biggest determining factor, as non technical as it is...the Droid just feels solid. I don't use the physical keyboard because I have large fingers (6'10"), so that was why I first started questioning whether to switch or not, but after feeling and seeing the Incredible, my mind is made up to stay with my Droid.

Wongway

Reaction score
Two things make me disregard the Incredible...

1) A few reviewers seem to notice the Incredible gets a bit less in the reception/signal holding department compared to the Droid. While I haven't seen concrete numbers yet, past history has shown that HTC tends to make lesser quality radios compared to Motorola. I'll stick with the Motorola Droid for that one reason alone. No matter what, it still has to be a phone first. No amount of toys will convince me a phone is better if it can't hold a signal. (Especially if I need that signal for searches, email, or even the fun apps like Pandora, etc.)

2) While I haven't seen anything firm or concrete yet for the Incredible in terms of accessories, so far, the Motorola Droid is the only android phone that has both an OEM and a third party manufacturer for a car dock. (I personally use the Seidio car dock). This one accessory alone has singlehandedly reduced the clutter and cables in my car to almost nothing. Car has built in bluetooth, and the phone has become an all in one unit that happens to replace my Navigation unit AND Satellite Radio unit. While the Navigation program isn't as full featured as the Garmin, and technically, Pandora isn't Satellite radio, the combined functions of everything in one makes for a much more aesthetically pleasing interior to my car.

stevehy

Reaction score
Because I use this as a pocket computer first there are a few issues that make the Incredible a non starter for me:

The screen can not be used in bright sunlight (as in your car).

The Droid has a much higher res screen (more info and easier to read). Why would I settle for less, and it was the reason I switched from the iPhone.

Build quality; the moto really has superior build quality (the best I have ever had on a phone).

So....no temptation for an Incredible, as it’s a downgrade for me.

windstrings

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the "solid" feel.
Phones with a solid feel don't fare well when dropped due to the weight and sudden stoppage of hitting a hard surface... ie: metal to stone or concrete.

A good case will certainly help... and adding an extended battery has advantages, but aggravates the impact if dropped.

Phones that feel like plastic, feel like they won't last till next week but somehow take the punishment very well.

I do have concerns if the radio is truly not as good.

The amoled can transmit exact color frequencies well and in subdued lighting is quite impressive... however, they need to elevate the technology so they can adjust the intensity when bright light is encountered.....similar to the outdoor Vegas led screens.. however this take lots of power and lots of bucks.

Bluetooth a picture from a lcd phone to an amoled phone and you will be surprised how well it looks in amoled.
However.. bright light is an issue.... especially when driving down the road.

Having the extra size of resolution on the screen is a bitter sweet.

My close vision is not phenomenal, so I usually have to zoom up a bit anyway.. so not sure the 854 vs 800 is an issue for me. Although I love crispness to a picture.

I'm downright pissed at what they've done to the droid gallery...... trying to gauge whether you took a good shot is impossible if the viewer cannot reproduce the integrity of the picture accurately.

Seems the droid has been dumbed down in a few areas.. why????? because the applications and the software is already outclassing the hardware. 2.0.1 was the peak.. then the competitor phones came out with 2.1 and the Droid had to have the bells and whistles too or people would scream.. the result was a phone that can barely handle to new OS.... seems its like adding Vista to an XP machine..... now a bit laggy and less responsive unless you dumb it down.

Maybe with the incredible, we can at least get better quality... Pics are a fairly high priority for my phone as I always have my phone with me and I don't always have my quality SLR with me...... 8mp may be nice!

Will the incredible overclock at some point later?... I don't know... its also a snapdragon.... if it has the same headroom built in that the regular droid has, I'm thinking 1.5Ghz and beyond would be a non issue.. possibly even 2Ghz... since the droid at 550Mhz will do double.. maybe the incredible will too?

I've already talked to seidio.. they will be releasing an extended battery for the incredible too.. I expect it will be at least 2800mah.
But the incredible only runs at 245mhz when Idle.. so it may not eat batteries as suspected... could be better.

I too don't use the slide out keyboard... if you stole my keyboard, I wouldn't notice it for weeks.... that alone adds weight and adds to the "solid" feel..... making you think the guts of the phone itself may be no different than the incredible for the most part.

I respect that Moto has redeemed themselves with the Droid, but HTC is no slouch in credibility either and their reputation precedes them.

Sal

Reaction score
Two things make me disregard the Incredible...

1) A few reviewers seem to notice the Incredible gets a bit less in the reception/signal holding department compared to the Droid. While I haven't seen concrete numbers yet, past history has shown that HTC tends to make lesser quality radios compared to Motorola. I'll stick with the Motorola Droid for that one reason alone. No matter what, it still has to be a phone first. No amount of toys will convince me a phone is better if it can't hold a signal. (Especially if I need that signal for searches, email, or even the fun apps like Pandora, etc.)

2) While I haven't seen anything firm or concrete yet for the Incredible in terms of accessories, so far, the Motorola Droid is the only android phone that has both an OEM and a third party manufacturer for a car dock. (I personally use the Seidio car dock). This one accessory alone has singlehandedly reduced the clutter and cables in my car to almost nothing. Car has built in bluetooth, and the phone has become an all in one unit that happens to replace my Navigation unit AND Satellite Radio unit. While the Navigation program isn't as full featured as the Garmin, and technically, Pandora isn't Satellite radio, the combined functions of everything in one makes for a much more aesthetically pleasing interior to my car.

Sirius XP announced their Android app last week. No exact date given. But the press release was pretty detailed. Sorry, can't find the link just now...

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
To the OP.......... I have a 17 (almost 18) year old and here was my advice to her when she was thinking about switching from her LG Touch.

Go to any Verizon store and hold both of them. Feel them, open the keyboard on the Droid and see what you think. Compare the weight and the styles. One of them is going to jump out at you once you are able to hold them and check them out.

Many teenagers I know do not care about all the specks they want the latest and greatest that looks and feels "sick".

Bottom line, its good that you are doing your homework on these two phones but lets face it, they both have their pluses and minuses. Now go for what feels and looks the best TO YOU!!!

windstrings

Reaction score
Agreed, but less weight with more power is a major plus.

When you slide the keyboard out on the droid and imagine it gone, that doesn't leave much of the droid left.

Weight is only good if it indicates quality of parts inside.

If I was buying fresh it would be a no brainer... never outdate yourself the moment you buy.. but the decision to upgrade is harder.

I have two phones on my account.. one is avail for upgrade... I'm seriously thinking about it.

The taste test will be the final answer.... I want to look at them both in the sun and look at picture quality and general feel while bouncing through the apps.

iPirate

Reaction score
My overclocked Droid doesn't hold a candle to my friends N1 and his is at standard speed. Beside that the Droid Incredible runs a newer version of the snapdragon then what is on the Nexus One.

No, the difference between them are noticeable. The measurement of clock speed (MHz) is not a true measurement of the speed of a processor. If you want to measure the speed you measure it by Clock Cycles (Snapdragon has more clock cycles). MHz is really nothing but just a way to sell chips. Kinda like the misconception of a camera's Mega Pixels. Mega Pixels don't mean squat. A true measurement is the size of the lens and how much light it lets in. That's why some lower MP camera's take better pictures then higher MP ones. The lenses is better.
Instructions per clock cycle? Because clock cycle per second = hz.

Lens isnt the only thing that is important, the size of the sensor is important for cameras. That is why at 5MP DSLR looks a lot better than a 5MP point and shoot or cell phone camera.

You don't understand, its not the same. Clock cycle = Instructions per cycle. Clock speed = Cycles per second (hz). Its both of them being multiplied. A core 2 duo at 3gz is going to be slower then a I7 at the same speed. The number of instructions per second for a processor can be derived by multiplying the instructions per cycle and the clock speed (measured in cycles per second or Hertz [Hz]) of the processor in question. The number of instructions per second (Clock Cycles) is an approximate indicator of the likely performance of the processor.

I don't understand your point on the camera. I knew this already, and it just confirms what I said about MPs are not a good way to measure cameras.
Thank you, because of the clock cycle discussion I reviewed related material and it helped with an interview question I had today lol. :icon_ banana:

mark5hs

Reaction score
I plan on rooting and using lots of homebrew. I was leaning toward the incredible for the faster processor, but the droid only costs $20, compared to $200 for the incredible. I also like a physical keyboard (though I could get by with swype), and I know I can overclock so I'm questioning whether the faster processor and sense UI are worth the $180.
If I overclock the Droid, how badly does that affect the battery life? I know stock the droid has better battery than the incredible because the LCD uses less. And Droid has 2.1 right?

CatsTide

Reaction score
I plan on rooting and using lots of homebrew. I was leaning toward the incredible for the faster processor, but the droid only costs $20, compared to $200 for the incredible. I also like a physical keyboard (though I could get by with swype), and I know I can overclock so I'm questioning whether the faster processor and sense UI are worth the $180.
If I overclock the Droid, how badly does that affect the battery life? I know stock the droid has better battery than the incredible because the LCD uses less. And Droid has 2.1 right?
sounds like you need a moto. overclocking hasn't affected my battery too much. you're leaning towards the moto...just go for it!:icon_ banana:

rmcray08

Reaction score
!!! Slate !!! I hope I'm not too late, but I've got two cents for you.

FIRST, I know it's incredibly tough, but would you be able to wait until after the Incredible is released to make a decision? The only reason I say this is because I have a strong feeling you'll see a price discount on the Droid. They're going to have to do something to move the Droids left in inventory, and it won't compete with the Incredible at the same price point.

SECOND, I came from an LG dare, and I know exactly what you mean about the pain in the butt of the virtual keyboard, but let me tell you, the virtual keyboard on these phones are in a completely different league than LG's multimedia phones. And, like people have noted, the Droid's physical keyboard doesn't quite have the natural feel that you'll be used to coming from your voyager...it's a little, erm, squished.

MY ADVICE would be to wait until the Incredible drops. If you can wait a week to see if they drop the price on the Droid, I would. Then I would get the droid. Try it. Try using the physical keyboard, try using the virtual keyboard. If you don't use the physical keyboard, YOU HAVE THIRTY DAYS TO RETURN IT, at that point get the Incredible. I love my Droid, but I'd kill to have the added speed, higher quality camera, and Sense UI that come stock with the Incredible.

Hope it helps!

mich1248

Reaction score
you should goto phoneareana.com they have a great review comparing both phones side by side with even pictures taken from both compared and also videos taken from both..its worth checking out..i have Droid and love it..of course the incredible is faster, but my Droid can do anything the incredible can do. right now that is.. when u sign a two year contract things might be different in a year..and your not able to upgrade..thats my only concern with the Droid is its hardware compared to the incredible..it could be very outdated in a year..