HELP ME DECIDE (Moto Droid vs. HTC Incred)

Stale_Milk

Reaction score
Okay, before I start I'll tell you a little about myself and my situation because I know a lot of you feel that each phone fits a persons needs.
I'm 16 years old and I've always stared at people who had Iphones in complete envy, my dad's one of those anti-materialistic kind of guys and has a philosophy that "Phones are used for calling, nothing else"

So the closest thing to an iphone or droid I could get my hands on is a Voyager :i-m_so_happy: (sad...I know)
but my 2 year contract is coming to an end, my grades are perfectly fine and I've always been well-behaved so my parents are finally letting me pick ANY phone I desire (just so long as it's verizon) and letting me have a full unlimited data plan.

So of course I'm going to get the best dang smartphone on the market in Verizon ;)
My 2 year upgrade is actually...tomorrow the 26th
for the past 2 weeks I've been gawking at review videos for the Motorola droid so I had my heart completely set on that.

But today I just recently found the HTC droid incredible and it looks pretty awesome.
Thing is, I really like the simple yet slick and advanced GUI on the Motorola droid, it just reminds me of a computer desk top. The Incredible is suppose to have a full GB of ram though and the speed is expected to be outstanding!
And it's all for the same price as the Motorola droid.

So I'm really really torn between just buying the Moto droid tomorrow, or waiting it out for the HTC incredible. Based on what you know about me and my past envy for the Iphone, witch do you think would fit me better ?
Is the web browsing speed really THAT much faster on the Incredible ?

Thanks in advance!

taypotts

Reaction score
i work for bby mobile so i can help you out. first let me ask some questions. what are you going to us the phone for? what would the perfect phone do for you? do you think you would use the physical keyboard?

I think the Incredible is one great phone beacuse the processor is faster and the ui is great. im actually thinking about switching to it. My main concerns are battery life and if it will have some bugs when it comes out. the droid has been out for a while now and has had a lot of bugs worked out. then again it was motos second android phone and verizons first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

iPirate

Reaction score
Bunch of threads on this topic, you can search and see some other replies.

Nobody can pick the phone for you but I would buy the Droid again if I was picking now.

OLED screen is not great outdoors and draws more power from the battery than the Droid's. This is important because the biggest drain on my battery is the display.

The high clock speed of the Incredible will also drain the battery faster. Sense UI is not appealing to me. Plastic feel of HTC phones is not appealing to me.

Droid has a physical keyboard, for the past 4 months I have tried to use software keyboards and they aren't cutting it for me, too much frustration.

Incredible does have more rom space, but so far that isn't an issue and I don't see it being an issue for another 2 years. More MP in the camera but that isn't always a good thing with small cell phone cameras.

OP
S

Stale_Milk

Reaction score

Nobody can pick the phone for you but I would buy the Droid again if I was picking now.

OLED screen is not great outdoors and draws more power from the battery than the Droid's. This is important because the biggest drain on my battery is the display.

The high clock speed of the Incredible will also drain the battery faster. Sense UI is not appealing to me. Plastic feel of HTC phones is not appealing to me.

Droid has a physical keyboard, for the past 4 months I have tried to use software keyboards and they aren't cutting it for me, too much frustration.

Incredible does have more rom space, but so far that isn't an issue and I don't see it being an issue for another 2 years. More MP in the camera but that isn't always a good thing with small cell phone cameras.

Hmmmm, you actually have some great points.
Like I said...I was using the Voyager for a time, and the hardware keyboard on the voyager was AWESOME. Never could really get down with touch screen keys.

But the thing is, the voyagers physical keyboard had a lot more space then the Droid. Did it take a while for you to adapt ?

And about the ram space, I think 1GB is great but maybe a little to unneeded. I smell bugs with the phone already.

I think I might just buy the Droid too, thanks

junpar

Reaction score
Quick Fix: The incredible has 512 mb of RAM, 1 GB. And really.. In my honest opinion android handles memory management fantastically, 256mb ram on the Droid is plenty. People just like big numbers.

Regarding the physical keyboard, it really isn't as bad as reviews make it seem. It's good enough for me so that I can type without looking at the keyboard at a fairly good speed. Also, it's great for some games and emulators as well as web surfing :).

BATTERY LIFE.... The Incredible's battery sucks. They report 312 minutes of 3g talk time.
That's only 12 minutes more than the iphone, which also has a suckish battery. The Droid has a 385 minute 3g talk time and is the most long-lasting smartphone on the market along with the Nexus 1. When translated into actual usage time the Incredible is going to suffer, don't forget all those widgets and apps that sync with Sense UI. You should root your droid when you get it because you can overclock, but you can also underclock when you don't need the speed. For example: stand-by and such. It actually increases your battery life more than the stock speed.

I'm sorry to all OLED loving people, but OLED screen technology is not yet up to par with LCD screens... It's good at looking at photos and videos. It's a phone though, most of the time you aren't going to be looking at photos and videos. The Incredible has a 800x480, Droid has a 854x480. You can actually see LCD screens outside. If I am correct, the Incredible has a pentile matrix screen like the Nexus one, this supposedly makes the screen not truly 800x480.

The top selling point for the incredible will be Sense UI, and the 1ghz snapdragon processor. One last point: the Droid has the best GPU on an Android phone, but the OS doesn't really make use of it yet.. If we see it implemented well in custom roms or in a future android os release that would be great.

Hope this helps, but you should wait until the 29th and go into the verizon store and check out the incredible to see if you like it more or not.

iPirate

Reaction score

Hmmmm, you actually have some great points.
Like I said...I was using the Voyager for a time, and the hardware keyboard on the voyager was AWESOME. Never could really get down with touch screen keys.

But the thing is, the voyagers physical keyboard had a lot more space then the Droid. Did it take a while for you to adapt ?

And about the ram space, I think 1GB is great but maybe a little to unneeded. I smell bugs with the phone already.

I think I might just buy the Droid too, thanks
Try the Droid's keyboard for yourself. It takes a little to get used to it but there seems to be nothing I can do to improve my software keyboard use.

taypotts

Reaction score
Well the thing to keep in mind is that the incredible and the droid both have capacitive touch screens which are going to be WAY better then the touch screen on the Voyager, trust me on that one. I had the Samsung Omnia a while back and it has a resistive touch screen. After that phone I swore off full touch screen phones, but now I use the Droid's touch screen like 90% of the time.

iPirate

Reaction score
Well the thing to keep in mind is that the incredible and the droid both have capacitive touch screens which are going to be WAY better then the touch screen on the Voyager, trust me on that one. I had the Samsung Omnia a while back and it has a resistive touch screen. After that phone I swore off full touch screen phones, but now I use the Droid's touch screen like 90% of the time.
Do you use the stock keyboard?

ZBoater

Reaction score
This is comparing apples and oranges. The physical keyboard is the most obvious determining factor. Sure, the incredible has some nice specs (being a newer phone) but the Droid is no slouch, and being rooted has a lot of flexibility (which the incredible will also have over time).

They are both Android phones, so the question is - do you prefer the keyboard or not? I, personally, coming from an iPhone, thought the keyboard was a must. But after a month I have rarely used the Droid keyboard at all. Were it not for the steep price I would have to pay, I would get an Incredible. Maybe when my contract is up... :)

Bob_Stan

Reaction score
I like the Droid even though the keyboard isn't as comfortable as the one on my previous Voyager. But there is no comparison between the Voyager touch screen and the Droid (and I suppose the Incredible). Also I think there are good deals on the Droid from Verizon through the end of this month.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I am having the same dilema Stale-milk! I have the droid and hae til 5/5 to decide to swap it for the Incredible. Let me start off by saying the Droid is a nasty phone and by far the best I have owned so far. The 2 things I dislike about it are the physical keyboard (which I never use), and I find the phone to be a bit on the heavy side. Other than that it is great and I can live with both my dislikes.

The incredible is nice and light which I like to carry in my pocket. My concern is battery life which I will keep an eye on the posts for the nect few days. My advice is go see both in person at a Verizon store and play with each so you can make a logical decision. Either way you cant pick a bad phone!!!!!

OP
S

Stale_Milk

Reaction score
I am having the same dilema Stale-milk! I have the droid and hae til 5/5 to decide to swap it for the Incredible. Let me start off by saying the Droid is a nasty phone and by far the best I have owned so far. The 2 things I dislike about it are the physical keyboard (which I never use), and I find the phone to be a bit on the heavy side. Other than that it is great and I can live with both my dislikes.

The incredible is nice and light which I like to carry in my pocket. My concern is battery life which I will keep an eye on the posts for the nect few days. My advice is go see both in person at a Verizon store and play with each so you can make a logical decision. Either way you cant pick a bad phone!!!!!

Yeah it's really hard right now :p
I already played with the Droid and man...I LOOOOVE IT
The GUI is just so simple and slick
plus the design and exterior of the phone is awesome. I like it sorta heavy and big, plus the physical keyboard I know I'll adapt too..
but I might just snag my Droid tomorrow, and within the 30 day switch I'll play around with the Incredible in the store and see if its for me

taypotts

Reaction score
Do you use the stock keyboard?

I only use it when using Google Translate, cause writing in Spanish is a lot easier that way, but that's really it for typing. I do use it for Gameboid/Snesoid. It has nothing to do with the style of the keyboard or anything like that. I'm just really really fast on the touch screen keyboard.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i like sense ui a lot, and would tend to go with the much faster incredible.
BUT, after reading this thread, it makes me feel a lot more content with my droid. are you all saying the bad things about the incredible to make yourself feel better? or does the droid really do things better in what youre talking about? (i'm not being mean or anything, i'm just wondering if those saying droid is better are justifying being stuck with the droid (like me) or if its really true)

and, i find myself using the physical keyboard just because i dont have to lift up my fingers, so i think its faster and great for web surfing. i have the sense rom and a swap file and overclocked, so its not a huge deal (yet...)

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This isn't accurate.

OLED vs. LCD : Which one is better?

OLED is better, definitely. Aside from showing clearer, crisper images as shown in the comparison photo above, OLED screens are also known to...

1. be thinner and lighter than LCD screens
2. consume less energy because they don't require backlight (vs. LCD)
3. be more rugged and resistant to breakage than LCD's because they are bendable
4. have better color reproduction and higher contrast ratio; rendering richer colors and deeper blacks

OLED, AMOLED vs. LCD TFT

As far as dim, I compared my friends Nexus One, and my Droid. Brightness for both all the way up.

My conclusion...........?

Their both very dim outside. Mind you its cloudy today with little sun. When comparing, the Droid having a better screen in sunlight is overrated. The Nexus One screen is dimmer but its so mi-nute that it shouldn't even matter.

Bottom line I saw it for myself, and I can't be bias, just because I love my droid. They both suck in the sunlight.

I think you should wait for the 29th, then you can compare them both hands on.This way you can make the right choice for you.