HELP ME DECIDE (Moto Droid vs. HTC Incred)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
you should goto phoneareana.com they have a great review comparing both phones side by side ...

Good catch. Thanks for the link. And it appears to be a pretty good review.

Some pertinent comments...

() Apples to apples battery comparison gives the edge to the Droid by about 33%. (18 hrs vs 24 hrs). Of course, that's running the stock launcher on each phone. If the Droid is outfitted with seven home screens and the features that emulate the Sense UI on the Incredible, that advantage is likely to be reduced or non-existent.

() Once again the meaninglessness of pixel counts in camera comparisons is demonstrated. The Incredible has more more megapixels and controls but doesn't seem to take better photos consistently. And at least according to the reviewers, the advantage goes to the Moto Droid for video.

() What seems undeniable is the advantage of the Snapdragon processor in the Incredible for overall processing. Yes, the Moto Droid can be overclocked and tweaked. But most consumers have no interest in doing so and by definition it takes one off the supported development path and adds complexity to diagnosing problems.

If I were trying to decide which phone to get for the first time, it would be a tough choice. I think the usual rule of thumb that says always buy more processing power might be the deciding factor in the Incredible's favor. Application developers will always take advantage of the best hardware's capabilities.

On the other hand, there seems to be no compelling reason to abandon a Moto Droid for the marginal advantages of the Incredible, especially given the fact that even more powerful devices will be coming down the pike before a two year contract is used up.

gatorbait

Reaction score
At this point, the major point of comparison for getting a Droid vs. an Incredible is probably whether or not you need a physical keyboard.

If you absolutely must have a physical keyboard, then you should get the Droid. However, if you don't need one, I would go for the Incredible. Both phones overlap in so many specs, but the Incredible beats out the Droid on a couple major bullet points that give it a pretty strong edge.

mark5hs

Reaction score
Alright, after trying the droid at the store, I ordered one from wirefly. There's a 30 day return period and my brother's getting an incredible, so I'll just return it if I change my mind.

Wraith

Reaction score
Also, AOTS in Gadget Pron gave the Incredible a 5/5 yesterday.

Just sayin....

windstrings

Reaction score
Alright after looking at some reviews, I'm leaning towards the Droid, as it is 1/10 the price. Though do any of you know anything about the Moto Shadow? All the articles I can find about it are from january and if it's coming out within a couple months, I'll just wait for that.

Check here

Looks like the incredible runs at 245mhz when Idle.... it may not be a battery eater after all!

windstrings

Reaction score
I know this have be hashed already.. but the oled screen of the incredible does look tasty....

OLED vs LCD Screens – Does It Make A Difference? | Symbian-Guru.com

Don't know if this tv comparison works but according to this... oled uses much less power.
OLED TV vs. LCD TV at OLED TV Buying Guide
The stated contrast ratio for the new Sony OLED TV is 1,000,000:1 compared with the highest stated contrast for an LCD of 10,000:1. While both of these contrast figures are unrealistic for actual calibrated TV viewing, they are an indicator of just how superior OLED is in this category
ADVANTAGE: OLED TV. Color will be richer and more realistic, generated by organic phosphors using active matrix technology.
I have taken a picture with my droid before and bluetoothed it to my freind with an amoled screen and sorry to say.. it blew away my colors and saturation... it was beautiful on the amoled.

I'm going tomorrow to compare the two in the sunlight... first generation amoled screens were pretty sucky in sunlight.

I will compare the incredible with the regular lcd droid and see whats up.

Here is shows the poor abilities of oled in sunlight....
I have trouble with my lcd droid already in direct sunlight already.. hope its not too much worse.

This is an excellent comparison thread....
The first post has an interesting statement that I'm not sure is factual.
However, the Nex One and Incred have an AMOLED screen which appears "brighter" in direct sunlight so that is plus for those two phones.
One thing is encouraging... between the processor dropping down to 245mhz when Idle and the nature of oled screens using less power... bettery consumption may be reasonable if not better.

iPirate

Reaction score
I know this have be hashed already.. but the oled screen of the incredible does look tasty....

OLED vs LCD Screens – Does It Make A Difference? | Symbian-Guru.com

Don't know if this tv comparison works but according to this... oled uses much less power.
OLED TV vs. LCD TV at OLED TV Buying Guide
The stated contrast ratio for the new Sony OLED TV is 1,000,000:1 compared with the highest stated contrast for an LCD of 10,000:1. While both of these contrast figures are unrealistic for actual calibrated TV viewing, they are an indicator of just how superior OLED is in this category
ADVANTAGE: OLED TV. Color will be richer and more realistic, generated by organic phosphors using active matrix technology.
I have taken a picture with my droid before and bluetoothed it to my freind with an amoled screen and sorry to say.. it blew away my colors and saturation... it was beautiful on the amoled.

I'm going tomorrow to compare the two in the sunlight... first generation amoled screens were pretty sucky in sunlight.

I will compare the incredible with the regular lcd droid and see whats up.

Here is shows the poor abilities of oled in sunlight....
I have trouble with my lcd droid already in direct sunlight already.. hope its not too much worse.

This is an excellent comparison thread....
The first post has an interesting statement that I'm not sure is factual.
However, the Nex One and Incred have an AMOLED screen which appears "brighter" in direct sunlight so that is plus for those two phones.
One thing is encouraging... between the processor dropping down to 245mhz when Idle and the nature of oled screens using less power... bettery consumption may be reasonable if not better.
Those are for TVs and in theory OLED should be perfect but that isn't the case...

Google Nexus One versus Motorola Droid Display Shoot-Out

windstrings

Reaction score
Looks like the incredible is very close to what the nexus is...

Key difference... nexus is global and incredible had 8mp camera instead of 5 and comes with 8gig memory installed as well as an additional 8 gig SD card installed upgradable to 32., and maybe an FM tuner, and does have an optical mouse rather than rollerball.. plus a few more tweaks like 7 screens...... noted here.
And here
and here.

Did I mention Flash?.... not full fledged but Flash lite.... "sense" does add a few goodies you don't get with basic 2.1 OS.
HTC includes its own browser in Sense. Like the stock Android browser, the Incredible's is Webkit-based (same as the iPhone's Safari browser, if you must know). Full Flash 10.1 support still isn't happening, though HTC has included Flash Lite. That means you can play some, but not all, Flash content. Otherwise, it's a competent and fast browser.

mark5hs

Reaction score
Wirefly has the incredible for $150 right now, if anyone is interested

windstrings

Reaction score
Just got the Incredible today.... funny... someone argued the Droid had 256 mg and ram and people just liked big numbers.... well big numbers are nice, but there have been plenty of times when I only have 45 - 50mb left to my ram with the droid. There has to be some reason its laggy... even when there isn't much processing going on.

Anyway... the problem in the sun is overated... the droid stinks in the sun and the incredible is just as good if you pick something to look at besides the default dark red and black background. The droid looks milky washed out when in the car, the incredible is just as hard to read but looks better without the washout.

for those who are thinking about switching.... don't trust your sd card to keep your contacts safe with a backup from the export function in contacts.... it failed over and over for me... the only thing that worked was importing a backup I had on my hardrive I did from the google website while on my account.

The incredible now can add and manage groups from the phone.

It also has backup assistant as well as the usual sync the droid has with the website....

I made the mistake of not deleteing my two year old backupassistant account and it mixed up all my old stuff with my new...

I recommend deleting any old backup assistant account you have and starting fresh and let it import your files from your phone into it that you got from your google website...

If you simply log on to backup assistant with the phone and that account is not wiped first.. be ready for it to push "to" your phone and not from it.

Its indeed fast and punchy with no delays whatsoever I have found so far.

I think the external speaker on the droid may be better by a small margin as it has a larger long port across the back while the incredible has one port..... but it sounds fine when playing music.. but the droid has the edge here IMO.

I haven't played with the camera yet.

I comes by default with 7 home pages... a nice pinch feature that turns all of your home pages into icons on one page so you can pick.

Another learning curve.. but I think I"m pleased so far... very thin and does not feel cheap at all like some suppose.

Any phone without a battery in it feels cheap....

I added the two tone "red gradient into black" cover and its very sharp.

I notice the camera lens in much larger than the Droid....it appears many times larger.. allowing for quality pictures in more subdued lighting and outstanding pics in good light.

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
to whoever wanted to know if the Droid could play Super Metroid, the answer is yes. I played through Super Metroid with the Droid keyboard (got all the energy tanks and power ups). I even did the areas where you learn the wall jump and Shinespark ;) I have say though that the area in Maridia with all the grappling beam points was a *****, thank god for save state...

It was awesome, since it had been so long since playing the game. I used volume up for L and camera button for R so I could aim diagonally. SM is my favorite game ever, so I just necro'd this thread :)

Since then I have played through Chrono Trigger with no problems and am almost done with Earthbound.

I was looking for info on the game gripper which brought up this thread.