Help! I'm rooted and Dont know what!!! to do

Mandroidx

Reaction score
hELLO noob here

Ok so i rooted my droid using sprecovery. What the heck is a rom? and what is a kernel? how do i get themes on here the one im specifically trying to get is the Dark edge red theme for team chaos and idk how to do this i have scoured the forum for a while and i still cant find anything. In desparate need please help!!!!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is don't install anything until you've read up greatly on it, or we'll see you back here tomorrow needing help because you're stuck in bootloader.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
lol, you only got to first steps of rooting young grasshopper. there is much you can do with a rooted device, read the stickies to be enlightened.

a rom is basically what you see on your phone, if you flash another rom it will be modded. there are many types of roms out there, i personally recommend CyanogenMod, a very nice and stable rom, i had it when i had the d1

superglen99

Reaction score
First of all MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP. That way if you get stuck in a bootloop you can restore your phone to the way it is now. Then download rom manager premium. It has tons of roms and kernals to try out. Team chaos is in there. It makes. It so simple to do. Just dowload, wipe data and cache and install! Then you can mess with kernals to see which works best for you!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest that you read these first:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html

Once you finish. Make advance nandroid backup.

Boot into recovery (Press and hold X and power)

Read the instructions on what keys to use (Power, volume, and camera)

use the volume key and select backup/restore
press the camera button
select advance nandroid backup
press camera
select name backup
press camera button
open slider and enter a name
press the return key and close slider
press camera button
SPR will make a backup

Now you need to select a rom.

Let me know when you have decided and we'll work on the install

Mike

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The links mwhartman provided you will help, as will the first link in my signature.

However, I will answer one very important question you didn't quite ask in that giant run-on sentence you posted -- in order to put a theme on your phone you must either use an app call Metamorph (which you will not want to use as it may lock your phone in a bootloop) or a standard update.zip install. The theme will tell you which.

And if you don't know what a standard update.zip install is you need to learn because it's your best friend. :)

Good luck!

OP
Mandroidx

Mandroidx

Reaction score
First of all MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP. That way if you get stuck in a bootloop you can restore your phone to the way it is now. Then download rom manager premium. It has tons of roms and kernals to try out. Team chaos is in there. It makes. It so simple to do. Just dowload, wipe data and cache and install! Then you can mess with kernals to see which works best for you!

Thank you I already made a nandroid and currently running Chevyno1 1ghz med volt kernel i have made it that far im kind of at the 'what next' part. my ultimate goal is to get that dark edge theme and swype on my phone

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
READ READ READ and when your done with that well READ some more....theres a lot of things in there that you can mess up very quick if you don't know what it is and what step it do next so go read every link ^^^^^ posted and you should be alright just dont skip anything bc you dont think its important I think I read for about a week straight b4 I rooted and installed ROMs

bullswife98

Reaction score
I read everything I could find b4 I rooted, read and researched for abt a month, new threads and all. Even potentail problems and fixes, my phone my control,and rooted it. Never go to un-root again. Love it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bullswife98

Reaction score
If you love your phone like I love mine, do your phone a favor and read like everyone here said,show your phone some love and you will be rewarded with new ways your phone can become.

OP
Mandroidx

Mandroidx

Reaction score
READ READ READ and when your done with that well READ some more....theres a lot of things in there that you can mess up very quick if you don't know what it is and what step it do next so go read every link ^^^^^ posted and you should be alright just dont skip anything bc you dont think its important I think I read for about a week straight b4 I rooted and installed ROMs

Yes sir/mam I have been and i have a D1 which is supposedly "unbrickable" We'll see how that plays out lol

bullswife98

Reaction score
As long as you do a nandroid backup you will be fine always back up. Titanium backup for your apps and data. Enjoy!