HELP! I CAN'T FIND MY CURRENT CONTACT LIST ON MY S5!

shadownet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
lewischo93
When I first got my G3, my friend was able to import my CURRENT contact list from my iPhone to the G3.

Today when I switched for the S5 from the G3, the contact list was bare. IDK how to get the current list back the way my friend did it. I don't even know what he did! I can't contact him because his number is part of the current list as well!

Syncing with Google only gave me a very outdated list which isn't acceptable. I've had at least 30 more contacts than this.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When you open Contacts and select menu > Contacts To Display, what is checked? It's possible that he imported your contacts as Device Only or SIM only and the new phone is set to your G Mail account only. Most phones have an option for All Contacts.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wish OEMs would stop making this so confusing. They should save to the Google account by default on every device, but offer a popup on the first time you go to add a new one to explain that you can save them to the device. If you don't save them to your google account, you've got to do this copying instead of the phone just downloading them.

Did you trade in the G3, or do you still have it too? If you've got it, it's likely that you can still copy those contacts from it.

OP
S

shadownet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
lewischo93
I wish OEMs would stop making this so confusing. They should save to the Google account by default on every device, but offer a popup on the first time you go to add a new one to explain that you can save them to the device. If you don't save them to your google account, you've got to do this copying instead of the phone just downloading them.

Did you trade in the G3, or do you still have it too? If you've got it, it's likely that you can still copy those contacts from it.

I traded in the G3. I would've loved to have both but that's unnecessary. Maybe when I'm rich and famous and more money than I can spend, but not now.

I'm very very happy with the S5. I am bonding with it easier than the G3.

OP
S

shadownet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
lewischo93
When you open Contacts and select menu > Contacts To Display, what is checked? It's possible that he imported your contacts as Device Only or SIM only and the new phone is set to your G Mail account only. Most phones have an option for All Contacts.

Oh right I forgot. My S5 is currently updating OS from 4.4.2 to the current Lollipop. I'll have to see if that works.

What if it doesn't work? Any suggestions?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Agree with you 100%. There should not be three or four different ways to save contacts and then it becomes so confusing with a new phone. If they were always synced with your Google / G Mail account they would always appear on every new phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Oh right I forgot. My S5 is currently updating OS from 4.4.2 to the current Lollipop. I'll have to see if that works.

What if it doesn't work? Any suggestions?

Normally, an OS update will not make a difference. More than likely some of your contacts were saved as Device Only and some were saved as Google. Did you keep the same SIM card and use it in the new phone? They might be stored there? If they were truly on the old phone as device only, there may not be a way to get them back & they have to be re-added manually.

OP
S

shadownet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
lewischo93
Normally, an OS update will not make a difference. More than likely some of your contacts were saved as Device Only and some were saved as Google. Did you keep the same SIM card and use it in the new phone? They might be stored there? If they were truly on the old phone as device only, there may not be a way to get them back & they have to be re-added manually.

Oh no I meant your suggestion. I have to wait until it finishes updating so I can try your method. My bad.