Help Flashing Kernel

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
I would appreciate if someone could explain to me how to flash a overclocking kernel, and/ or post step by step instructions. Thanks

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Generally they are in update.zip format http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html#post290134 <-- something like that will install those.

AdamZ's kernels are in rom.tgz format, which is installed pretty much the same way it is just a little different.

There is the manual way, but most kernel devs make it easy and make an update.zip Generally they have instructions to go with their uploads.

1. Download the Smoked Glass Boot Rom.tgz - File should be named *.rom.tgz You may have issues with Google Chrome!
  2. Place the *.rom.tgz file in the root of your SD Card. It should not be inside of any folder.
  3. Reboot into SPRecovery v0.99.2b or v0.99.3b (Press and hold the "Power" and "X" buttons)
  4. The next few steps create a backup for yourself - just in case. The Installation of the ROM will do so as well - so this is optional.
  5. Select "Backup/Restore"
  6. Select "Advanced Nandroid Backup"
  7. Select ALL options for Backup (System, Data, Misc, Cache, Boot, Recovery)
  8. Name your backup whatever you want (This is a backup of your old OS, data, everything.)
  9. Select "Perform Backup"...
  10. Return to the main SPRecovery Screen by pressing the "Power" button twice.
  11. Select "Install" from the menu in the main SPRecovery screen.
  12. Select "Choose ROM from SD card" from the menu.
  13. Choose the *.rom.tgz file you've just downloaded and placed in the root of your SD Card.
  14. Wait for SPRecovery to perform a backup and decompress the ROM...
  15. Follow the installation instructions and choose your preferred options.
  16. When it tells you that you are finished... you're done.
  17. Reboot and enjoy.
Pay attention to the kernel and your ROM. Not all will function together, or function together well.

OP
dr01dm0dd3r

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
ok thanks, and the update.zip file for the kernel won tlike overwrite anything or not make my phone boot up or put it into an infinite boot loop?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
ok thanks, and the update.zip file for the kernel won tlike overwrite anything or not make my phone boot up or put it into an infinite boot loop?

It doesn't overwrite anything but it may throw you into a bootloop if your phone/ROM doesn't like the kernel. Sometimes you gotta try a few to see what works best.