Help! Droid incredible in boot loop

MusicLuvaMEG

Reaction score
doing a factory reset isn't doing jack anything. it's just resetting your phone so that you lose everything and have to do everything over that just took a month or more to set up and once again by the time you finish setting this one up it will crap out again just like it did before and then you have to go through the same bs again!!!! i've gone through it 3 times now and i'm done.:icon_cussing: i don't have the time or patience to deal with this every couple months and no matter what i try to do i still seem to end up losing things. maybe if i had someone that knew ANYTHING about these phones they could show me what to do and then i wouldn't lose my stuff and it would be easy but there's nobody around here that knows how to even pick their noses let alone fix phones/computers!!! :r_c:it really sucks and verizon needs to do something for me:icon_ deal: other than trying to give me another one of these POS phones!!!:icon_ nono: cuz i hate it & that's not gonna solve the problem!!!!!:icon_evil:

Hey Verizon cry baby go get yourself an iPhone.
omg. why does getting upset about something that is super frustrating make me a cry baby?? i guess you never get upset about anything.... and believe me i wish i could get an iphone. i'm sure they have a few issues too, but nothing like i've experienced with the incredible according to everyone i know who has one and that's almost everyone lol

MusicLuvaMEG

Reaction score
Alright guys, I realize I started it…..Let's back off, my bad.

No shame in backing down I guess. But you have to admit, it was legitimate criticism :)

ok...why wouldn't you want to back down? there's no reason to say anything bad to me. also, how was it criticism??? or legitimate in any way?? you started saying i was only here to complain and that i didn't want a solution when finding a solution is the only reason i'm here. so it wasn't legitimate right?? it was completely wrong lol so anyway, i'd like to stop this back and forth crap so do you have any solution other than a factory reset or what???? lol cuz i'd really like to find one so i can use it and get on with things.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not just get the phone replaced??? Why does it have to be a pos phone :rolleyes:

Because just like so many others before him he can't figure out how to use his Incredible so he registers here to gripe and complain. He has no interest I'n figuring out what's wrong with the phone or more likely why he is making user errors. He just wants to complain.
oh and sorry. i wasn't saying that the people on here didn't have a clue and couldn't help me. i was referring verizon and htc and my stores/people around where i live. i wasn't insulting anyone on here. i've just had it with verizon not ever knowing how to fix anything or help me out. if anyone on here can help me i'd greatly appreciate it. right before it died it went all crazy and everything started force closing and then i turned it off. pulled battery. restarted and same thing. so i turned it off again and now it's stuck in a boot loop. this has happened to me several times. this isn't the first phone. basically the same thing happened last time. i also had almost every other bug that people are complaining about too. so if anyone knows any way to help other than doing a factory reset that would be so great. please let me know if you can help. thanks! & sorry if you thought i was attacking the people on here. i def wasn't. i'm just beyond frustrated that this keeps happenning and the companies that made it and sold it to me don't care.
If it's a repeating problem it could be either a bad battery or a rogue app.
Try taking your battery out and check for ANY swelling. If there is none get a pencil eraser and clean the battery terminals.
If that doesn't solve it I'd start looking at apps. Yes a clean fast way is a factory reset but once you put them back on it's like reinstalling the virus that killed your desktop.
Make sure if you have a task killer it's set to manual.
Hope that helps
There is a sister site to this one that is much less argumentative.
android.net or incredibleforum.com (Inc specific forum)

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

CursedArmand

Reaction score
Alright guys, I realize I started it…..Let's back off, my bad.

No shame in backing down I guess. But you have to admit, it was legitimate criticism :)

ok...why wouldn't you want to back down? there's no reason to say anything bad to me. also, how was it criticism??? or legitimate in any way?? you started saying i was only here to complain and that i didn't want a solution when finding a solution is the only reason i'm here. so it wasn't legitimate right?? it was completely wrong lol so anyway, i'd like to stop this back and forth crap so do you have any solution other than a factory reset or what???? lol cuz i'd really like to find one so i can use it and get on with things.

I'll bite on this one. I've read this post from the OP to this last quote, and I still don't see an actual question, MEG. It seems like you're doing an bass-awkward way of asking for help (by *possibly* unintentionally insulting all of us on this bb), but I still don't see the actual problem you're having other than FC's.
Force Closes are (usually) either an issue with the application you are trying to use, an interaction with that application from another app, or a conflict created by something the owner did. Without physically having the phone in hand, a factory reset almost always solves the problem.

When you buy an Android phone you're buying a new computer with a foreign operating system. If you don't know what you are doing and aren't willing to do the research then you should probably stick to Blackberry. There are 2 types of VZ store employees. Those who know nothing about the phones other than what the company tells them (which is obviously very little because you'd have to know every little thing about every little non-smart phone, too), or they know EVERYTHING about them like WE do here. The 2nd type just can't explain to the customer how to fix it because it will violate VZ policy, software EULs or just expose the gaping problems with VZ bloatware all together (thus risking their jobs). That's why they tell customers to GOOGLE their problem and they usually end up right here. I had an LG Chocolate that I wanted to make my personally mp3's into ringtones. The rep said to use Vcast or I could just hop on my computer and search the internet for an answer which he strongly suggest there was an easy solution.

Also, if you are having major issues with FC's I recommend not downloading every free app that looks cool. They are usually just a side project someone decided to try out and has no practical use and will probably get abandoned. Search for "Best Android Apps" lists and you will see which ones make multiple lists. Those are the legit apps to get.

CursedArmand

p.s. for someone who doesn't like bb's you sure use a lot of emoticons and crap. I hope this thread dies quietly. It's exhausting to look at.

MusicLuvaMEG

Reaction score
Because just like so many others before him he can't figure out how to use his Incredible so he registers here to gripe and complain. He has no interest I'n figuring out what's wrong with the phone or more likely why he is making user errors. He just wants to complain.
oh and sorry. i wasn't saying that the people on here didn't have a clue and couldn't help me. i was referring verizon and htc and my stores/people around where i live. i wasn't insulting anyone on here. i've just had it with verizon not ever knowing how to fix anything or help me out. if anyone on here can help me i'd greatly appreciate it. right before it died it went all crazy and everything started force closing and then i turned it off. pulled battery. restarted and same thing. so i turned it off again and now it's stuck in a boot loop. this has happened to me several times. this isn't the first phone. basically the same thing happened last time. i also had almost every other bug that people are complaining about too. so if anyone knows any way to help other than doing a factory reset that would be so great. please let me know if you can help. thanks! & sorry if you thought i was attacking the people on here. i def wasn't. i'm just beyond frustrated that this keeps happenning and the companies that made it and sold it to me don't care.
If it's a repeating problem it could be either a bad battery or a rogue app.
Try taking your battery out and check for ANY swelling. If there is none get a pencil eraser and clean the battery terminals.
If that doesn't solve it I'd start looking at apps. Yes a clean fast way is a factory reset but once you put them back on it's like reinstalling the virus that killed your desktop.
Make sure if you have a task killer it's set to manual.
Hope that helps
There is a sister site to this one that is much less argumentative.
android.net or incredibleforum.com (Inc specific forum)

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.
thank you. finally someone tried to help. lol the battery still looks brand new. i can't even turn the phone on right now. it's not turning on then restarting, it's going to the droid eye screen when it's booting up and then stopping and starting over. it will just keep doing this and keep going and going unless i pull the battery. like i said this is the third phone and each time i installed diff apps. so i dunno if it's an app or not and i always read all comments before i download apps for this exact reason. if the app doesn't have tons of comments that are all positive then i won't download it so i dunno.... :/ oh and this time around i never downloaded a task killer cuz the first time i felt like that might have been part of the prob and it didn't really work with froyo anyway. also my battery lasted longer when i didnt have a task killer then when i did. so i figured i'd just go without it. even if you can't help me fix this problem do you know of anyway of totally backing up ur system?? like, for example, could i save EVERYTHING so that if this happened again i could factory reset and click on something that would restore everything to the way i had it??? like with all my scenes, settings, text dictionary, apps that are on the phone, etc??? cuz as i was reading these things i thought i saw someone say something like that somewhere.... do you know anything about that?

MusicLuvaMEG

Reaction score

I'll bite on this one. I've read this post from the OP to this last quote, and I still don't see an actual question, MEG. It seems like you're doing an bass-awkward way of asking for help (by *possibly* unintentionally insulting all of us on this bb), but I still don't see the actual problem you're having other than FC's.
Force Closes are (usually) either an issue with the application you are trying to use, an interaction with that application from another app, or a conflict created by something the owner did. Without physically having the phone in hand, a factory reset almost always solves the problem.

When you buy an Android phone you're buying a new computer with a foreign operating system. If you don't know what you are doing and aren't willing to do the research then you should probably stick to Blackberry. There are 2 types of VZ store employees. Those who know nothing about the phones other than what the company tells them (which is obviously very little because you'd have to know every little thing about every little non-smart phone, too), or they know EVERYTHING about them like WE do here. The 2nd type just can't explain to the customer how to fix it because it will violate VZ policy, software EULs or just expose the gaping problems with VZ bloatware all together (thus risking their jobs). That's why they tell customers to GOOGLE their problem and they usually end up right here. I had an LG Chocolate that I wanted to make my personally mp3's into ringtones. The rep said to use Vcast or I could just hop on my computer and search the internet for an answer which he strongly suggest there was an easy solution.

Also, if you are having major issues with FC's I recommend not downloading every free app that looks cool. They are usually just a side project someone decided to try out and has no practical use and will probably get abandoned. Search for "Best Android Apps" lists and you will see which ones make multiple lists. Those are the legit apps to get.

CursedArmand

p.s. for someone who doesn't like bb's you sure use a lot of emoticons and crap. I hope this thread dies quietly. It's exhausting to look at.

ok that's fine. you have ur opinion. i agree that looking at this thread is exhausting. i didn't know i was going to have to try to defend myself when i came on here, but apparently i was wrong & i think this is all just a huge case of misunderstanding and it's prob my fault cuz i have no clue what i'm doing on here. i had posted two other replies to other posts that listed similar problems as mine and then i guess when i replied to this one originally i didn't explain myself very well. sorry about that. all this bs was seriously the last thing i wanted cuz i hate when this crap happens. this is the whole reason i don't like to do forums...but anyway, all i wanted to do was come on here and find a solution to my problem and see if other people were having the same issues.

so far i've found out that everyone is having the same problems as me. also FC's aren't my problem. that is just what started to happen before it broke. like every single program including the sense UI just went crazy and Force closed over and over until i had to turn phone off. HERE IS THE BIG PROBLEM: now the phone doesn't turn on at all! it starts to boot up but then starts over every time it gets to the droid eye. this will happen nonstop unless i take the battery out. so i wanted to know if there was any way of getting the phone to stop this or get past it without factory reset, or if there was some kind of system recovery or any way of going into the phone a different way and clicking on something that will restore the phone to the way i had it. cuz i thought i saw someone post something about that. that they clicked on the volume down button and the power button as if to do a factory reset but then there was a page where they could click on something to bring everything back. i wasn't sure if that was possible or if that was only for people with rooted phones?? i'm actually pretty good with phones and computers i'm just new to android so it's gonna take me a little bit to figure stuff out especially when i'm basically doing it on my own except for now.

as for the apps. i really don't download apps unless they are super popular and have tons of positive reviews and comments because of the exact reason you said....i don't want to get something that is going to mess up my phone. so anyway, now do you understand my problem?? i've been phone-less for 3days now cuz there's nothing i can do if it won't even start up. & like i said. i'm sorry for all the confusion. i'm new at all this and i am just frustrated with everything. also i wouldn't be here if i didn't think you guys could help and i wouldn't be talking crap about you when i'm trying to get ur help. that's just stupid lol sorry for all the misunderstandings....thank you and i appreciate the help.

CursedArmand

Reaction score
The website I referred to was the Android Market. It doesn't restore everything the way it was, but it does list all the apps you downloaded and you can easily redownload the "must have" apps everyone needs. For me it's ADW.Launcher.EX, Beautiful Widgets, IMDB, and RunKeeper. Everything else I download/uninstall as needed.

I'm thinking if you're on your 3rd phone there might be something you are repeating. Maybe a list of your "must have" apps would help. If you are rooting your phone or bought a used phone that may have been rooted (without your knowledge like mine was) it could cause probs. My phone FC'd on every app I downloaded after I installed all the Google apps like Blogger, and SkyMap.

Also if your phone is not booting past the Droid Eye there may be something missing in your bootloader. How to fix or diagnose, I'm clueless, but it just seems like your HTC Sense is not initializing. Or it could just be a hardware issue where the phone was dropped/knocked and something jogged loose internally. Happened to my iPod and it sucks.

I would first check if the phone was rooted by reading this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html

Then if it looks like it is NOT rooted, then I would do a hard reset to factory conditions (using the technique I think I listed previously on this same thread). If that helps and the phone boots completely to a fresh HTC Sense, then download from the Market all the useful apps that are pre-installed (Gmail, Maps, Skype-the nonVZ version, etc.) because the VZ versions don't update automatically. THEN hit the Android Market on your PC, login, and download the must-have apps.

Think long and hard about those must-have's because there could be a conflict somewhere. LAST PIECE OF ADVICE: Google search your phone issues like I do. They are not always Incredible specific. Sometimes it's an Android issue or an HTC Sense issue, but whatever it is someone somewhere has had the problem fixed within the last 2yrs Android has been out.

MusicLuvaMEG

Reaction score
The website I referred to was the Android Market. It doesn't restore everything the way it was, but it does list all the apps you downloaded and you can easily redownload the "must have" apps everyone needs. For me it's ADW.Launcher.EX, Beautiful Widgets, IMDB, and RunKeeper. Everything else I download/uninstall as needed.

I'm thinking if you're on your 3rd phone there might be something you are repeating. Maybe a list of your "must have" apps would help. If you are rooting your phone or bought a used phone that may have been rooted (without your knowledge like mine was) it could cause probs. My phone FC'd on every app I downloaded after I installed all the Google apps like Blogger, and SkyMap.

Also if your phone is not booting past the Droid Eye there may be something missing in your bootloader. How to fix or diagnose, I'm clueless, but it just seems like your HTC Sense is not initializing. Or it could just be a hardware issue where the phone was dropped/knocked and something jogged loose internally. Happened to my iPod and it sucks.

I would first check if the phone was rooted by reading this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html

Then if it looks like it is NOT rooted, then I would do a hard reset to factory conditions (using the technique I think I listed previously on this same thread). If that helps and the phone boots completely to a fresh HTC Sense, then download from the Market all the useful apps that are pre-installed (Gmail, Maps, Skype-the nonVZ version, etc.) because the VZ versions don't update automatically. THEN hit the Android Market on your PC, login, and download the must-have apps.

Think long and hard about those must-have's because there could be a conflict somewhere. LAST PIECE OF ADVICE: Google search your phone issues like I do. They are not always Incredible specific. Sometimes it's an Android issue or an HTC Sense issue, but whatever it is someone somewhere has had the problem fixed within the last 2yrs Android has been out.
first of all cursedArmand...you don't seem very cursed to me. you seem very nice and helpful. ;) second of all thank you so much for trying to help me. i really REALLY appreciate it.

the thing is i was trying to find a different solution other than a factory reset. i am trying to make sure that i have checked every last page and option out before i delete everything again cuz i really don't feel like going through this a fourth time or more. & like i keep saying. if no one can give me a fix for this then can someone find out if anyone knows how you can back up ur entire system so that if it crashes and you supposedly lose everything you can just click on a recovery file and it will bring ur phone back EXACTLY like it was with settings and all???????? there's got to be something like that out there. would it be an app called "on the fly"? please let me know so i can prepare for next time if someone can't give me a solution now for not wiping everything....which isn't looking promising :/ the recovery thing i think looks kinda like a black screen with green writing and it says.....
reboot system now
apply sdcard:update. zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced

so from looking at this to me it means that if i go into the boot screen i should have options to save my phone right??? like if i decided to do the clear cache and backup and restore wouldn't that restore my phone to where it was before i got locked out of it and stuck in constant boot loop??? does anyone know?? there's gotta be some way.

& oh cool. you have adw.launcher.ex and beautiful widgets??? i wanted to download those but a lot of people were saying that it crashed their phones etc. so i was worried cuz i have the worst luck ever lol if something can go wrong it always does with me. but i guess since they are your favs they must work. good to know. i'll keep that in mind if i ever get this fixed lol

oh and question....when you go into the android market where will the list of ur downloaded apps be?? cuz if i end up having to get a new phone or factory reset then if i open the market won't it be blank like the first time? cuz last time this happened the only way i could tell if i had downloaded an app previously was if i accidently stumbled across it while i was looking at apps & then actually clicked on the app. then i could see the star rating and all that, but that was the only way i knew and that takes forever. also, are you saying the android market will have an actual list of them all together?? i have app list backup on my sdcard so most of them should be on there. i haven't backed it up for a few weeks though...but i haven't been downloading much recently cuz of the no space error. i've actually been deleting a ton so i'm sure the app list on sd card has enough of what i need.

i guess my biggest concern for not wanting to reset and lose everything is that i didn't want to lose all of my settings, scenes (especially these cuz i use multicon and set it all up just right and it takes me forever...lol yea i know i'm ridiculous but i like things a certain way), & my text dictionary!! my text dictionary is extremely important cuz that took over 2months before it had enough of my words stored so that it didn't change what i was saying into the completely wrong words. that's actually the most important thing that i don't want to lose cuz i had throat cancer when i was 17 and had to have my voice box removed so i can't speak and texting is my only life line. without it i have no communication and it's especially important in case of emergency ya know? but anyway, i'm also trying to find out if there is any way to have all that stuff saved to either the sdcard or into some recovery file so that if this ever happens again i can just click on it and bam! everythings back to normal. do you know of any apps or programs that can do that and if not then do you, yourself, know how???

also, i'm almost positive the phone isn't rooted cuz i got it from verizon and they're against rooting so i don't see how that would have happened. also, i have no clue at all how to root so i couldn't have done it either lol i'll check like you said though cuz ur trying to help me out and you never know...it's always a possibility. stranger things have happened to me my friend. lol believe me!!

i also haven't dropped my phone or anything. i treat this thing like my little baby. it's always in a case and i'm always extremely carefull with it so i dunno if it's the jossle prob or not. and yea there is def something wrong with the sense ui cuz that went totally crazy non stop. i couldn't even get it to go on any screen or do anything. it was just fc after fc. as soon as u would click close on it it would pop right back up and all the other things on the phone were doing the same thing at the same time too. i couldn't even keep up at all. it was nuts.

there's a lot of errors/bugs with these phones but i think they're almost all related to each other. it's all because of the verizon bloatware which is complete BS especially now that you can't even force close them without starting right back up immediately (and therefore making ATK unusable or just pointless), & then the low space/no storage left error that is ridiculous when there's tons of space left. then it seems all of the sense programs are buggy and screwing things up and contributing HIGHLY to the low space error. then i personally think that since this low space error starts interrupting the flow of ur phone and how it's supposed to be working, it starts to really screw things up. that error makes ur phone basically unusable whenever it feels like it and then i'm sure after this goes on for awhile more and more things start to bug out and break down. for example if ur texts can't get through then they are still going to constantly try to get through non stop therefore draining ur battery and causing ur cpu to skyrocket and then i think eventually getting to the point where the OS can't take it anymore and gives up. but it doesn't make sense that if this happens you lose everything. when computers do this you don't lose everything. you may lose nothing or you may only lose a couple things so where are the files in this phone like that???? they've got to be in there somewhere and i just need to find someone that knows how to find them or something. ugh...it's so difficult. and i'm writing on and on and on....sorry. i don't want to leave anything out lol plus i'm exhausted cuz i've been staying up all night and day researching this so i think i'm delirious!! but anyway, i will check to see if it's rooted, and check the apps and all too. but i really want to know what everyone is talking about when they say they are going into safe mode, or recovery mode and clicking on clear cache and clear data and then hitting reboot or something instead of doing the hard reset and they are'nt losing anything or if they are it's not much. so what is that and why wouldn't that fix my problem??? do you guys know what it is or how to do it? please just give me any advice on recovery and backup that you can think of and i'll try everything that i can. i just need this darn thing to work asap!!! :/ ok i need to shut up now. i'm half asleep and wrote about 40hrs too much on here lol

if there's any way you, or any else, could get back to me asap that would be so great!!! thank you in advance everyone! i really appreciate all this sooooo much!!! good night & hopefully i'll have answers on here tomorrow....FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!