Help deciding which phone to get

anothdae08

Reaction score
I need help / advice on which phone to upgrade to.

priorities:
responsiveness
maps for driving
email (exchange)
camera
battery life

I need Verizon, and would probably want to get 4gLTE, since i will have the phone for the next 2 years.

Although i dont push my phone that hard, i HATE unresponsive devices.

So i guess its between a thunderbolt or a bionic.

My question is whether i should wait for a vigor / prime or not. Part of me thinks that the current gen hardware is plenty for what i want to do, but i can wait a few months if the upgrade is significant. (and by significant i mean actually something significant, like skype, a much better UI, much improved speed. . . .)

So any ideas? I would LOVE a pure google android phone, as some of the rumors seem to say about the Prime. . . but i dont want to wait 2 months and have it be just higher resolution screen and a faster processor than the bionic.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Bionic will easily cover your needs. The Thunderbolt is noted as having a poor battery, but the device itself is quite good.

As a person who may wait to see if the Prime is coming to Verizon before buying a Bionic, I would still say go ahead and get the Bionic. It will last you 2 years easily and cover all of the things you mentioned by a long shot.

Renae

Reaction score
If you need a phone now, bionic. Note: you're in the bionic forum!

The bionic is supposed to have much better battery life than the thunderbolt. The bionic is dual core. Done.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
+1 for Bionic
Dissapointed when they announced that there isn't a Samsung Galaxy SII for VZW

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.1
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

alucard9114

Reaction score
I hate the quality of samsung devices so im going with Bionic. I wanted to wait for the HD but if you keep waiting for the next great phone you will never get a phone.

GBH2

Reaction score
As others have said, you should probably just get the Bionic. The battery life should be better than the TBolt(and it will most likely be a bit better device overall).

I have thought about waiting for the Droid HD or even at least checking out the Prime but although these devices might have advantages or may even be slightly better they will most certainly not be "significantly" better. Everything coming out in the reasonably near future will be dual core ARM Cortex A9 reference designs and should all be fairly close to each other in performance.(and don't pay any attention to anyone saying that "Hey XYZ phone scored a Bazillion in Quadrant, it must be great" it means very little)

I would go so far to say that it will be a year before anything "significantly" better comes out. By significantly I mean 2nd generation LTE and Dual core ARM Cortex A15 designs. (I think we are still at least a year away from seeing a GOOD quad core phone` - probably longer)

wseyller

Reaction score
I also notice that certain components such as the gps chip is rock solid in all moto devices I've seen. With samsung, htc it is hit and miss. With other devices your sometimes relying on updates, or special tricks and workarounds to get quicker gps locks. My first smartphone (samsung) sometimes took anywhere from a full minute to 20 minutes to get a lock and you needed perfect line of sight. My original droid and other moto devices I've played with lock in seconds everytimes. I get great gps locks inside my house if I'm within a few feet of a window.

My opinion according to your listed needs, go with the bionic. I think you will be much more satisfied over a thunderbolt. You can wait for something better, but there is always something better around the corner. I'm not saying all samsung & htc phones have horrible gps hardware/software but it is hit and miss.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk