Help..Broken phone screen, can't enter pattern lock to access files via USB

JSMachine

Reaction score
Having a tough time here. I had a very nice RAZR HD until sat morning. As I was leaving my truck, I had the phone between my legs I guess, and when I got out it fell to the bottom of the door jamb. When I shut my door it slammed it there. I picked it up hopeful that nothing would be wrong, but the screen is done. I initially had about 5% of the screen..an area about 1x1cm, but its gone now. I'm pretty sure the phone still works okay, because all notifications, the light, the alarms (can't turn them off..) are working.

I can't tell exactly what is broken. The actual surface of the screen is still smooth, so I think this is called the digitizer?- is ok. It must be the actual screen underneath that is shattered. There are cracks shattered throughout, but they are beneath the surface like the 2nd layer.

I have tried to connect via USB to a pc to get my files, and it recognizes the device, but I can't unlock the phone. It is protected by a screen lock pattern. I can't see it to tell if I'm entering the pattern correctly. I'm 99% sure I am, but I can't tell. At this point, I may have entered it wrong too many times and may be locked out. I would think the digitizer (top layer?) still works because it isn't cracked like the amoled underneath, but I don't know if it is accepting input correctly.

I do have insurance, so it can be replaced, but not before I get what I need to off of it. I have serqached here and I see several people trying different things, but I need to know what works. I really don;t have the time or patience to trial an error attempt at getting into it. Does anybody know for sure a method that works?

I have a USB wireless mouse. I do not have a mini HDMI cable, but I can get one. I was thinking that I can run the HDMI to my TV (it is a samsung smart TV) and that would give me a shot of my homescreen on the TV monitor? If the Digitizer top layer is still working, that would at least give me a visual as to inputting the pattern. Will this work?

If the digitizer is not working, then I guess I will have to figure out how to get the input to it. From what I gather, this involves some sort of USB powered hub and bluetooth? I have never used bluetooth..couldn't even tell you what it is lol.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OP
J

JSMachine

Reaction score
Anybody?

I made some progress. I picked up a micro HDMI and connected it to my HDTV. I can see everything just like the phone is supposed to be. Everything works...except the touch. So is it possible that I have broken both screens? The touch screen and the AMOLED underneath?

Main thing I need you guys to clarify is if there are two screens like I'm saying? Is this the case?

Bratster2

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your specific phone, but, yes it is 2 separate parts.

The front glass digitizer and the screen.

They may be fused/glued together for thinness. Dunno for sure.

You should be able to use a USB Host adapter and a mouse along with your TV to get in.