Broken screen - need phone access

weirddna

Reaction score
My screen on my Motorola Droid Razr slowly started cracking last week, and it neither displays anything nor allows touch events.

I can connect it to HDMI, but I can't do anything beyond that. I have recovered all files available via the USB connection, however most of the stuff I need apparently requires root access or a backup program.

I bought:
A mini USB OTG adapter
A mini USB to Micro USB adapter after figuring out that the specs for the phone that I read were wrong.
A powered USB hub
A USB mouse

However, although the mouse receives power and appears to be physically connected to the phone, the phone does not seem to recognize the mouse. I cannot find any way to feed input into my phone.

I do have a replacement phone because I had insurance on it, but I really, REALLY would like to get the full data backed up before I have to return the old phone in the next couple days.

The android version is 4.x, but I don't know the exact number.

I've been googling for the past few days, and now that I finally got my hands on an OTG adapter, it doesn't seem to work. The few solutions I've seen require an earlier version of android, access to the screen, and some electrical engineering to make OTG work.. that doesn't seem quite right.

Is there some other way to deliver input to the screen?

The device is NOT rooted.

Bratster2

Reaction score
The phone does support USB otg with out root or anything.

However it is not true otg.

The phone needs to receive power on the USB port.

I have answered this before in more detail, let me dig up my post.

OP
W

weirddna

Reaction score

Bratster2

Reaction score
Correct, power input to phone.

The cable I used is a "y" cable from an external DVD drive.

It has a mini usb on One side, which fit the hub I used. The other has 2 regular USB.
One is standard, with data lines, the other only has power wired thru.

Its meant to give more power to the dvd drive.

I used it so the data side went to the phone and the power side to an out on the hub.

OP
W

weirddna

Reaction score
Hmm, I doubt I could find anything like that in time. I'm pretty sure I had a male-male regular USB cable somewhere that I'm tearing my house apart looking for, but even that will be pretty expensive if I buy it in a store around here. Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll come back and let you know if it works if I find anything I can use.

Bratster2

Reaction score
If your somewhat handy and have an extra regular USB cable,

And don't mind modifying that and the hub USB cable you could make it.

If you think you can do it I will give you more help on what to do etc.

OP
W

weirddna

Reaction score
I was thinking about that, but this is electric, and I kind of have a bad track record when it comes to not shorting out circuits when playing with my soldering iron =) Think I'll just save myself the trouble and dump another $30 at walmart to get the "Premium Windows 8 data transfer cable" - a standard $5 c2gA usb cable wrapped around a $25 black plastic spindle apparently. Be back shortly.

OP
W

weirddna

Reaction score
Disregard this post. I was ignorant and could not figure out that XT912 was embedded in the system version.

Last edited:
OP
W

weirddna

Reaction score
I suppose I should follow up. Attaching a USB cable to a second power source did not work. After messing around with a little persistence, I discovered that while the screen was mostly uncracked, the uncracked portions of the screen couldn't receive input, but the cracked portions could, using this, I was able to finagle my way into enabling a bluetooth mouse and access the phone that way. It was all for naught however as backing up the data I needed proved to be impossible, as none of the rooting tools would recognize my device. Frustrated, I just gave up, wiped the internal storage, and tossed the thing in the mail to be returned. Maybe the rooting attempt bricked the phone too, because when I later removed the sim card, the whole thing went to crap.