OTG No Longer Works on my v1 Turbo :(

BIrONIC

Reaction score
I used to connect my OTG USB drive and/or a USB mouse, but now nothing OTG works anymore.
Any chance there was an update that broke it, or maybe some other app that I installed?

Any ideas?

NOTES: the OTG USB flash drive still works with my Windows computer (ran chkdsk and no errors found). It also still works with other Android phones and tablets of different makes/models.
The OTG cable/adapter still works with other Androids, and so does the mouses that I'm testing with.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you turned on Developer Options lately? Made any changes to those Settings? What does Settings > Storage display when the OTG drive is connected to the phone?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
When was the last time you recall it working on the device?

Not really sure; unfortunately. It's a bit cloudy, since I hadn't actually needed it for a while. I guess I can say that I know for sure it was working about 3-4 months ago.

One thing I can say is I am usually WAY behind on applying updates, and it's entirely possible that what happened is that I waited so long for the Lollipop upgrade that that's what did it, and I just didn't notice since it's not something I use much/often.

Have you turned on Developer Options lately? Made any changes to those Settings? What does Settings > Storage display when the OTG drive is connected to the phone?

Dev Options = Don't recall, but I have been in there, doing things in recent weeks/months as I am testing and implementing various things related to home automation, etc. Are there any settings in Dev Options in particular that could mess with OTG?

Settings > Storage = when connected, it looks the same and says the same thing as when not connected.
i.e. in that bottom section named 'USB disk', it has the same two lines of text; as follows (spelling/grammar shortcomings NOT mine)...
Mount USB On-The-Go storage
Insert an USB On-The-Go storage for mounting

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you have the ES File Explorer app installed? I just connected my USB OTG drive for the first time on my Turbo 2 and received a popup asking if I want to Use this app by default for this USB device?

I assume that if I check the box then the other phone apps can't see the OTG drive.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...Dev Options = Don't recall, but I have been in there, doing things in recent weeks/months as I am testing and implementing various things related to home automation, etc. Are there any settings in Dev Options in particular that could mess with OTG?

I am not familiar with a lot of the options inside Dev Options, since I am not an app developer. There is a setting / option for "Select USB Configuration" (at least there is on a Turbo 2...think it was there on my Turbo also). By default I believe the selection is MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). There are other options available, maybe if another option is selected, it will interfere with a USB OTG?

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Do you have the ES File Explorer app installed? I just connected my USB OTG drive for the first time on my Turbo 2 and received a popup asking if I want to Use this app by default for this USB device?

I assume that if I check the box then the other phone apps can't see the OTG drive.

Ya, I know the checkbox you mean, and I've never clicked it. Don't really like some 'automations'.

I am not familiar with a lot of the options inside Dev Options, since I am not an app developer. There is a setting / option for "Select USB Configuration" (at least there is on a Turbo 2...think it was there on my Turbo also). By default I believe the selection is MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). There are other options available, maybe if another option is selected, it will interfere with a USB OTG?

Ya, that setting is in 'Storage' in system settings. It's set to MTP.
Also, I have already tried it on the other settings with no change.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried booting your phone into Safe Mode and see if it works then? When in Safe Mode, third party Play Store apps will not run (well, most don't). If an issue does not occur in Safe Mode then a Play Store App may be the cause. If the same issue occurs then it's probably not an app that you downloaded.

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Have you tried booting your phone into Safe Mode and see if it works then? When in Safe Mode, third party Play Store apps will not run (well, most don't). If an issue does not occur in Safe Mode then a Play Store App may be the cause. If the same issue occurs then it's probably not an app that you downloaded.

Yep. Tried that, and same problem.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Short of a factory reset (FDR) I'm not sure what to look for next.

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Short of a factory reset (FDR) I'm not sure what to look for next.

Indeed. If it comes to it, I will FDR, but holding off for a bit to see if anything else comes to the rescue. :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I agree, I wouldn't do a FDR only because of that, unless that was a critical function I needed. Maybe someone else will have an idea