HELP! Bionic Bootloop

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
If you restroed a nandroid without wiping then you are likely still gonna have occasional issues so if you can indeed get into CWM recovery then by all means restore your Eclipse ROM, wiping this time of course lol, then you will have Eclipse with the .902 radio...

Understood..but as I said, it rebooted back into 902 rooted stock. I may try and restore to my first 902 backup which I made the day I updated to 902. Of course I would wipe this current one.

Ok, here is the issue. Every time I reboot phone it goes back into AP fastboot. I back out to recovery mode menu and phone boots up with 902 rooted stock.

What do you think I should do? Should I try to restore my original 902 backup or eclipse?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Understood..but as I said, it rebooted back into 902 rooted stock. I may try and restore to my first 902 backup which I made the day I updated to 902. Of course I would wipe this current one.

Ok, here is the issue. Every time I reboot phone it goes back into AP fastboot. I back out to recovery mode menu and phone boots up with 902 rooted stock.

What do you think I should do? Should I try to restore my original 902 backup or eclipse?

Restore back to the stock .902 nandroid, but I'm not sure that would alleviate the fastboot menu issue...but worth a try...once you get to a clean .902 build, from there you can do whatever

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
Restore back to the stock .902 nandroid, but I'm not sure that would alleviate the fastboot menu issue...but worth a try...once you get to a clean .902 build, from there you can do whatever

Your fears were confirmed. It always boots up into fastboot and then I have to back out to recovery menu and then reboot. Now, another issue: the 902 original update which I thought was good was NOT. I used my prior 901 backup. Now it wants to push that smaller 902 update file. Should I accept it?

Now, I can use Bionic Bootstrap obviously to get into Clockwork, but the phone always goes into fastboot and then I back out and then it boots into Clockwork.

So, I have a working phone but that AP fastboot creates an extra step.

I don't want to waste too much time on this today, but moving forward, what is the remedy? Is it that restore process by sargentmajor?

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The .902 OTA is likely to fail if you have fastboot issues, but I would go ahead and atleast attempt to recieve it... not sure what process sargeantmajor linked to but you will likely need to do either the back to OTA pathsaver or RSDLite and get back to stock 5.5.893, forever root, then accept the (or manually) the .893 to .902 OTA update...

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
The .902 OTA is likely to fail if you have fastboot issues, but I would go ahead and atleast attempt to recieve it... not sure what process sargeantmajor linked to but you will likely need to do either the back to OTA pathsaver or RSDLite and get back to stock 5.5.893, forever root, then accept the (or manually) the .893 to .902 OTA update...

Correct. I pulled the 902 update and tried to install but it goes back into AP fastboot and then I have to back out and then reboot.

A new wrinkle: the phone reboots but then after a few seconds reboots again into fastboot. It is probably trying to install the 902 update. I should have left it alone when I had the working 901. :(

I do have the saved 902 smaller update file; should I manually install it?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah try manually...go into stock recovery and apply that smaller OTA of .902...

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
Installed and phone is stable. But every reboot brings me into fastboot. Good news is that when I back out, the phone remembers where I want to go.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think it's going into the fastboot menu because it's failing a precheck during bootup, which probably is a result of restoring the stock nandroid over Eclipse without wiping...

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
I think it's going into the fastboot menu because it's failing a precheck during bootup, which probably is a result of restoring the stock nandroid over Eclipse without wiping...

Yes. So the million dollar question is how to get rid of it.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes. So the million dollar question is how to get rid of it.

Clean it up by flashing back to OTA path or RSDLite back to 5.5.886/then 5.5.893/then accepting the .893 to .902 OTA.... but you are likely to run into flash failure and/or invald CDT errors which would also need to be fixed along the way returning back.... so take your medicine or live with the fastboot sidestep...

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
Clean it up by flashing back to OTA path or RSDLite back to 5.5.886/then 5.5.893/then accepting the .893 to .902 OTA.... but you are likely to run into flash failure and/or invald CDT errors which would also need to be fixed along the way returning back.... so take your medicine or live with the fastboot sidestep...

For now I will live with the sidestep but will "take my medicine" when I have the time to read and test.

Thanks for everyones help. Such a great forum!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Best of luck bro...you should be good either way.

gatekeep707

Reaction score
Bet they were on the Mega site that the Feds closed down. Did not know that.

I've totally restored the Bionic about 3-4 times. Unfortunately a bootloop requires some drastic steps as there is no way to get back into CWR if the phone will not boot. I used RSD Lite 5.6 on my most recent adventure and reflashed to stock Google image.

I don't recall if I provided this link or not already, but it looks like a good one: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

Good luck.

I also had to use RSD lite 5.5 to restore... before you look further on why RSD failed. I tried my kindle cable and standard usb cable (generic) they both failed. Motorala Cable worked 1st time around.

cable is a cable? Not with my experience with recovery.