Hello Please Help

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Hi, I am not very computer savvy, or phone for that matter in terms of programming. I have an A855 Motorolla Droid and I love it. I have recently become very interested in rooting and wifi tethering. I bought the easy root app from the android market and have updated to the froyo 2.2. I AM SO CONFUSED!!!! I am a farmer not a computer programmer. My 2.2 system is working fine but slow... I dont understand all of these abbreviations. I have downloaded busy box,barnacle wifi tethering,drocap,rom manager,superuser permission but am having trouble getting anything to install. Everything keeps saying I dont have access. I thought thats what rooting did and my phone says its rooted. Please, please, please does anyone have any helpful things you can explain in terms i might understand. I just want my phone to be used to its full potential and I know its possible because it seems everyone else can do it

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No experience with easyroot here, but I'll bump your thread up in the active topics.

Do you have the ninja icon in your app drawer that says Superuser Permissions? (Or something similar)

Emitted from X.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Yes I had to find it on a thread somewhere because it was not on the android market. I have the little ninja with a gun called superuser permissions in my slide up menu. What do i need to do to gain access to apps

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
I dont know what the deal with this whole ROM thing is. What is ROM and how do i root ROM. Thats what my titanium backup says to do

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
With superuser permission installed, when you open an app that requires special root permission, such as drocap2 for taking screenshots, a popup should appear asking if you want to allow that app the permission required to use it.

ROMs are, for lack of better explanation, different versions of the operating system. Developers bundle their own choice of apps and features as well as removing things they consider unnecessary to better performance and etc.

Not sure why anything would be telling you to root a rom, because you have to be rooted to install a new rom...

Emitted from X.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Let me say first, thank you so much for bearing with my incompetence. As an example, I am trying to access titanium backup. An error screen instantly comes up and says Sorry, I could not acquire root privelages. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your rom is rooted and includes busybox, and try again. When I push ok it says root access failed. When I go to busybox installer it says Your phone is rooted, Busybox was not found. But I have Installed it multiple times with the same result. When I press install on busybox it says The application Failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount. Please use logcat at this time. Keep in mind I dont even know what all these apps do. I'm just following recommendations. Is there an easier way to do all this? Should I start all over?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No problem! Everybody has to start somewhere.

I've got a little bit of a hard time helping you here, because I don't have a rooted phone at the moment, and when I DID root my droid before switching to the droid x, I did things the old fashioned way, typing codes in my computer to push things to the phone and enable certain things.

There's a guide at rootyourdroid.com to installing busybox, but if you're not very tech-savvy, I can't recommend that. There are QUITE a few steps, and it's not the best intro into ADB and pushing things from the pc to the phone.

If you'd like to see what's different about ROMs, you could download the free version of ROM manager and install cyanogenMOD, which has busybox baked right in. That'll get you where you're going, but still isn't going to teach you much about really hacking in to your Droid, which ultimately opens up its full potential. Not a bad place to start though...

Emitted from X.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
My main objective in this whole thing was to get froyo 2.2 so i could enable wi-fi tether. At first i thought that verizon was going to release 2.2 for the droid with the wi-fi tether but now i'm hearing that they pulled the plug. This is where this whole thing started. I managed to get froyo but wish verizon could just make it easier on us all but hey, thats corporate America for you. I already have the free version of rom manager, i just dont know what i'm supposed to do with it. Is there a site for people like me to learn about hacking and about all these programs? How do people learn about this stuff without surrendering their entire lives to it. I really wish I had someone to show me hands on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I see. Well, there was a tethering app on the market for root users, but I never tried it. It's probably still on there. I prefer not to mess with vzw's terms of service like that.

On a different topic, this site is a great place to learn. I unrooted my droid because I couldn't afford to spend the time like I had been...It takes some research and practice depending on what you wanna do.

Emitted from X.

donelam304

Reaction score
I have a question. I have asked on 3 other forums and no one answers. Can anyone please help. Here is my question.

I have rooted to Android Version 2.2, Kernal Version 2.6.32.9-P3Droid#75, Build # Saphire_0.7.0-Droid. I have titanium back up. Super ninja. Rom Manager premium. And the rest of the laundry list of addons needed to root. I have downloaded 3 or 4 custom roms. Bug beast, a couple from JRummy or something like that. But it will not do the new roms. I even tried erasing the cache and all the other tricks it said.

Anyone got any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

kelvingeorge

Reaction score
I am no expert but I am guessing that you my need to root your Droid after installing the 2.2.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Unrooted?

Let me say first, thank you so much for bearing with my incompetence. As an example, I am trying to access titanium backup. An error screen instantly comes up and says Sorry, I could not acquire root privelages. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your rom is rooted and includes busybox, and try again. When I push ok it says root access failed. When I go to busybox installer it says Your phone is rooted, Busybox was not found. But I have Installed it multiple times with the same result. When I press install on busybox it says The application Failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount. Please use logcat at this time. Keep in mind I dont even know what all these apps do. I'm just following recommendations. Is there an easier way to do all this? Should I start all over?

Judging from the error message you are getting, you may need to verify root on your phone. I got that message once too and found out that when the OTA 2.1 update 1 was pushed out, it changed things somehow and I had to go back through and re-root.
"Mount" refers to your SD card.

We may need to go through things one at a time for you because there are a lot of different messages you seem to be getting. Do you have a shortcut in your apps list for "Superuser Permissions"?

Anyone else with enough experience feel free to join in....

Last edited:

donelam304

Reaction score
Well I thought I had rooted it. I don't the steps on here and used the saphire even. That's how I have 2.2 and the kernal other than the stock. I had to rename the file to update.zip and done it by the guides on this site.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I have a question. I have asked on 3 other forums and no one answers. Can anyone please help. Here is my question.

I have rooted to Android Version 2.2, Kernal Version 2.6.32.9-P3Droid#75, Build # Saphire_0.7.0-Droid. I have titanium back up. Super ninja. Rom Manager premium. And the rest of the laundry list of addons needed to root. I have downloaded 3 or 4 custom roms. Bug beast, a couple from JRummy or something like that. But it will not do the new roms. I even tried erasing the cache and all the other tricks it said.

Anyone got any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to reboot and install the ROM using ROM Manager? Make sure you choose a ROM in ROM Manager from the "Download ROM" option. They take some time to download since they are VERY large files. I tried installing one once and figured out I never let the file finish downloading. Verify that before we continue. You should no longer see the little ROM Manager icon in the top notification bar. You can even pull that down and watch the download in progress. Once you go back and re-download and verify it completely downloads, come back and let us know and we can go from there.

Last edited: