Hello from a struggling Mac user

lilybelle

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just purchased a droid today from verizon. I'm no genius - so I hope you'll all be patient with me. I've been searching for jailbreaking using a mac and working on setup for a few hours now. It all started by trying to assign downloaded ringtones to specific contacts. Maybe the mac is making it harder - or I'm just stoopid. sigh. Anyway - hopefully I'll learn things here.
-Lily from Ohio

DroidFan

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just purchased a droid today from verizon. I'm no genius - so I hope you'll all be patient with me. I've been searching for jailbreaking using a mac and working on setup for a few hours now. It all started by trying to assign downloaded ringtones to specific contacts. Maybe the mac is making it harder - or I'm just stoopid. sigh. Anyway - hopefully I'll learn things here.
-Lily from Ohio

I'm a devout Mac user too and have had the Droid since it's release on 11/6. It's actually very simple to coordinate (much more so than the BlackBerry was!).

Explain what you've done so far with regards to ringtones and I'll see how I might be able to walk you through it.

OP
L

lilybelle

Reaction score
Oh dear - Thank you!
I downloaded the explorer app and can see my downloads now. They are mp3 files. I can't figure out ow to get them to show up as ringtones.

Is there an advatange to "rooting" with the mac? Do you know how to do this?

I can see the phone on my devices list. Just not sure what to do with it. Like - where and how to load music.

I'd also like to load pics. I guess I can load from my mac, but is there a way to save images of the web, like from facebook (for contact pics?)

That's it so far. Thanks -I'll try not to bug you. ;)

DroidFan

Reaction score
Lily...it's SO much easier than you think!!! :) No, I don't know hot to root and I usually choose not to hack into my phones...

As far as your music/pictures... connect your Droid to your computer with the USB cable. Then swipe the notification bar at the top of you Droid downward and mount your SD card. When you double-click on the SD card icon that appears on your desktop, you'll see folders for music & pix. Drag and drop the songs and pix you want to put on your Droid into the appropriate folders... it really is THAT easy!!! :D

As far as ringtones, listen to the song you want to make a ringtone. While playing go into the Menu > Add to ringtones. Then go to the contact you want to set that ringtone for. View it. Menu > Options > set ringtone. Find the song you just added to the list. Voila! You now have a custom ringtone! :)

Hope that helps!

Jodi

OP
L

lilybelle

Reaction score
Yes! Worked perfectly - and for some reason, now my downloaded ringtones I created for my old phone on phonezoo now appear. I setup a folder on the SD called ringtones and moved the downloaded mp3 phonezoo files into that - and now they magically show up. I opened the phone "no name" folder on my desktop looking for a "music" file to put my music into, but there isn't one. When I just dumped them into the general sd folder, they work on the phone. go figure.

Whatever - THANKS!!!!!

OP
L

lilybelle

Reaction score
OK .... :icon_eek: now the 2nd batch of ringtones I just downloaded DO NOT SHOW UP after I move them to the folder where the first set are. The first set still shows. I am confused. It worked once.

OP
L

lilybelle

Reaction score
Still working on it. I'm amazed at all this does - never having a "smartphone," it's a whole new world. FUN!

I guess I'll figure this ringtone thing out somehow. It's downloading and installing some update now - all on it's own. We'll see if that does something.

I feel as if I should name this gadget. We're already getting pretty intimate.

Thanks again.

DroidFan

Reaction score
OK .... :icon_eek: now the 2nd batch of ringtones I just downloaded DO NOT SHOW UP after I move them to the folder where the first set are. The first set still shows. I am confused. It worked once.

Are you sure you uploaded them to the right folder? I've been known to accidentally move stuff to the wrong folder and thought it moved to the right folder. Might want to double check just to make sure.

Yes, this phone is quite incredible!!! And I LOVE how easy it is to use with a Mac! My BlackBerry and I had a love/hate relationship with the Mac, especially with the calendar.... no problems so far though with the Droid! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

DroidFan

Reaction score
It's so unnecessary though when drag/drop is so easy and seamless. *shrug* Just my 2¢...