Captured video from Droid to Mac

lew11

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm hoping you all can help me out here...

I have captured videos on my phone and I would like to put them on my Mac (my first Mac ever, so I'm still learning..). I transferred the video from the Droid to the Mac and I can watch it in the preview on the desktop with no problems (you know the small 1/2" by 1/2" preview window) but when I open it up in Quicktime, it is all jumbled and primarily purple and green with garbled video.

Thanks in advance!

lew

stevehy

Reaction score
Download VLC for Mac; it’s free and plays just about any video format.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I want to be able to put them into iMovie as well. Am I missing a codec or something along those lines? It's obviously only playing in VLC still...

stevehy

Reaction score
You need to convert to quicktime, don't know if VLC does this.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
hmmmm ok. Any idea where I can find more info on that? Is that a doubletwist thing?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmmmm ok. Any idea where I can find more info on that? Is that a doubletwist thing?

Double Twist? That's for downloading music and photo's to your Droid from iTunes and wherever your pictures are stored.

Just do a google on VLC and you can download it, the player and everything else.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
Haha told you I'm new.

Does VLC come with something else that I should be looking for? After installing VLC, the video plays fine in VLC but still the same thing in Quicktime.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks Steve. I want to be able to put them into iMovie as well. Am I missing a codec or something along those lines? It's obviously only playing in VLC still...

For you to be able to use them in iMovie or Final Cut or something like that, basically they need to play in Quicktime. You can try installing Perian, a free "codec" bundle for Quicktime that enables support for many additional video formats.

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

VLC is just a video player with its own playback-engine, which does not affect any other programs unless they are specifically written to do so.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the Droid has 2 (or more?) different recording modes. Low quality 3GP or higher quality MP4. The MP4 files should play fine in Quicktime.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
These videos are in the 3gp format. Is that my problem then? I'll try what you recommended and see if that works for me, I'll let you know.

D

dvdcatalyst

These videos are in the 3gp format. Is that my problem then? I'll try what you recommended and see if that works for me, I'll let you know.

I don't have a Droid, but I recall reading about different recording options somewhere here on these forums. I would suggest to look in the settings of your Droid to see if you can change the recording settings for you future recordings.

Perian should make your 3GP files play better in Quicktime.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
I will do that for future videos. Perian isn't working for my existing videos...this is frustrating!

D

dvdcatalyst

it was worth a shot.
The only other option on the MAC that I can think of is to convert them to a different format with Handbrake. Just convert them to iPhone format, and you should be good to go.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
Ok, thanks a ton for your help! I'll try that now.

skatermom

Reaction score
any help on getting my videos onto my computer? can't email or message, says file is too big.

OP
L

lew11

Reaction score
I used iPhoto to transfer everything over to my mac.