Hello! A few first time questions about D2G....

italiaD2G

Reaction score
I just got this phone is white the other day and while the UI is not bad at all there are a few things i cant figure out.....

How do i turn off both 3G and WiFi?

I ask because I only got limited 3G usage simply because im always in WiFi zone and i would assume being connected to the WiFi or 3G kills the battery.....which it does.....

Can anyone help?

And is there anything else I can turn off that i dont know about?

Thanks in advance....

cgull

Reaction score
Congrats on your D2G! That would be clicking the menu button on the home screen and going into settings, data manager. I would suggest an app though. Quick Settings is free Quick Settings - Android app on AppBrain, but I recommend Setting Profiles Full Home Setting Profiles ...

sp_full.png

Among many features, it can automagically activate profiles based on locales.

FYI - The best way to whip battery life into shape is to:

- root and use Titanium Backup to freeze the bloatware apps
- Also replacing Blur with LP or ADW
- limiting widgets
- Turn off Glbal and use CDMA
- Leave wifi off when not in use
- max out update intervals for all apps

I also grabbed the 1500MaH batt which gives me ~15% more juice with no form factor hit... Seidio Innocell 1500mAh Replacement Battery - Android Batteries - Android Central Store

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
I

italiaD2G

Reaction score

Cheers

Quick Settings FTW!!!! hahah

How do I do those 3 things???

tony_g

Reaction score
I'd like to add another critical point to maximizing a smartphone'sbattery life: turn off the GPS and unnecessary data updates when not needed... Then install Power control widget from which you can directly control Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and data updates.

leobg

Reaction score
Congrats on your D2G! That would be clicking the menu button on the home screen and going into settings, data manager. I would suggest an app though. Quick Settings is free Quick Settings - Android app on AppBrain, but I recommend Setting Profiles Full Home Setting Profiles ...

sp_full.png

- limiting widgets

I also grabbed the 1500MaH batt which gives me ~15% more juice with no form factor hit... Seidio Innocell 1500mAh Replacement Battery - Android Batteries - Android Central Store

Cheers

cgull, spot on! For non-Verizon users (outside USA - turn off Global in favour of GSM/HSPA :))

Are you sure the seidio battery longer life you are reporting isn't plasebo? I sort of doubt Motorola would not put the highest possible density cells in the original battery, especially considering the fact the phone is prone to be quite power hungry.

I would add - get the extended 1840mAh battery (BP7X) that comes with extended battery door - it certainly gives you noticeably longer battery run time and the bulge is almost not noticeable (couple of mm only)

cgull

Reaction score

sp_full.png

- limiting widgets

Cheers

cgull, spot on! For non-Verizon users (outside USA - turn off Global in favour of GSM/HSPA :))

Are you sure the seidio battery longer life you are reporting isn't plasebo? I sort of doubt Motorola would not put the highest possible density cells in the original battery, especially considering the fact the phone is prone to be quite power hungry.

I would add - get the extended 1840mAh battery (BP7X) that comes with extended battery door - it certainly gives you noticeably longer battery run time and the bulge is almost not noticeable (couple of mm only)

The stock batt is ~1300mah so yeah it helps a little.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
I

italiaD2G

Reaction score
I downloaded quick settings and keep my 3g, wifi, GPS off now and I also use task manager to quit my apps.

I am now experiencing the phone locking for no see-able reason, it just fades to black at random times....any ideas?

Guswut

Reaction score
I downloaded quick settings and keep my 3g, wifi, GPS off now and I also use task manager to quit my apps.

I am now experiencing the phone locking for no see-able reason, it just fades to black at random times....any ideas?

I've noticed my handset doing this as well, even off a factory wipe with no settings changed at all. It seems to do it mostly when I'm laying in bed trying to send myself a note, or when I'm in a low-light situation in general (it's just mots annoying, and thusly most remembered, when I'm doing it right before sleep). I wish I knew why it was doing this so I could beat THAT to death with a hammer!

OP
I

italiaD2G

Reaction score
I wish I knew why it was doing this so I could beat THAT to death with a hammer!

hahaha yes!! hopefully someone can shed some light on this.....

speaking of light.....im also just wondering what the little faint red light does to the left of the ear speaker at the top of the phone.....just curious

Guswut

Reaction score
I wish I knew why it was doing this so I could beat THAT to death with a hammer!

hahaha yes!! hopefully someone can shed some light on this.....

speaking of light.....im also just wondering what the little faint red light does to the left of the ear speaker at the top of the phone.....just curious

Status light... I notice it's green when my battery is full, and red when it is low. And I believe it blinks for missed messages/notifications.

OP
I

italiaD2G

Reaction score
Status light... I notice it's green when my battery is full, and red when it is low. And I believe it blinks for missed messages/notifications.

No im not taling about the one that blinks green when you get a new text message. There is another very, very faint red one to the left of the earpiece that is on all the time for me.

vintage2714

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering the same thing it's not lit all the way on mine it's like a faint red light

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL