headphone volume too loud when making calls

nmosfet

Reaction score
any suggestions for tackling this problem? I've seen folks say the volume during media playback is too low but I am fine with that. however if I try to make a call with my headphones (no in-built mic, just regular stereo phones) plugged in, the volume is unbearable and sounds like it's on the highest possible setting even when its set as low as possible. when the phone of the dude I'm calling is ringing, the headphones are so loud they sound like they're speakers (audible from across the room), and at that volume I'm sure the speaker cones are being damaged terribly. with a bluetooth headset (not headphones) however, the lowest volume setting is fine and comfortable. is my droid busted at the hardware level or is this a software bug?

(running 2.0.1)

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I encountered this issue as well, when accepting a call while listening to music on headphones. I think it's just an unfortunate oversight on the part of Motorola/Google.

OP
N

nmosfet

Reaction score
I was hoping it wasn't something common to all droids, and thus addressable by a replacement unit. anyone have a droid that's able to place calls set at a low volume while using headphones?

hblessons

Reaction score
I too was overwhelmed by how loud the volume was when I had the headset attached. The lowest setting was very painful to my ears. Completely intolerable. I'm hopeful there will be an update/change. I love the phone. But I am amazed these companies can release phones w/so many issues. Voice dial not working, not being able to use a headset and force close/resets are important problems I personally deal with and see that others do as well. Ridiculous.

Fytech

Reaction score
I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this and that it is not fixed with the 2.1 update. This issue could cause damage to the eardrums. I've tried two different headsets, and it is occasionally tolerable at the lowest setting. One headset ( Amazon.com: Premium Stereo Hands-Free 3.5mm Headphones for Apple iPhone 3G 3G S / HTC Droid Eris / Hero / Imagio / Touch Pro 2 / LG Chocolate Touch VX8575 / Dare VX9700 / enV Touch 11000 / Motorola Droid A855 / CLIQ / Debut i856 / Hint QA30: Cell Pho ) is slightly quieter than the other ( Amazon.com: Naztech Earpiece 3.5mm Stereo Headset with Mic for Cell Phones (Silver): Cell Phones & Service ), but neither is acceptable. My solution is going to be buying a headset with its own volume control, but that is annoying.

Reaction score
Trade you my droid for yours. Volume from the headphone jack being LOW is a problem many owners have. Never seen anyone who said it was too loud

dnspies

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Music is fine, but when I make calls I have to turn the volume as low as it will go and then it's still louder than necessary. Does anyone know if there's a simple "volume filter" app for dealing with this.

hblessons

Reaction score
I just received an alert letting letting me know there was a new post. I had forgotten about it because I had found resolution. I hope those of you with issues either have already done so, or are still in a position to take the phone back. Shortly after I got my phone, my husband decided he liked the phone as well and we went back up to Verizon to get a Droid Eris for him as well. His new phone had neither the issue with the volume or the issue with it not recognizing speech. Prior to my husband having the Droid, the Verizon salesperson's answer to my dissatisfaction with voice recognition was to tell me no phone did that well. My reply was that up till the Droid, all my phones advertising this had ALWAYS performed that function fine. But now armed with a fully functional phone in the same household, they couldn't make excuses for either issue and in turn gave me a new Droid Eris. It works without any of these hiccups. So your phone is defective and should be swapped out if you have these issues. Good luck making it happen though.