Headphone Jack Dead?

plrichard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got the Droid Bionic on launch day and have pretty much loved it for the most part. I have an iPod Touch that I use for most of my music needs so for the first few months I didn't really use the headphone jack in my Bionic. However, I've wanted to do more with Pandora and Spotify lately on my Bionic and so I started using it. I noticed problems fairly immediately, I would plug in the headphones and then start the music, but the music would still play from the Bionic's main speaker and not the headphones. This would usually fix itself after unplugging and replugging the headphones. But recently, the headphone jack does not recognize the headphones being plugged in at all unless I constantly hold the plug in with force (it doesn't pop out or fall out, I just have to push it in farther for it to work). I've tried to clean out the jack and everything but the problem doesn't go away. Anyone have an suggestions?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've had two die this way. Get it replaced

sent from my RAZR MAXX

OP
plrichard

plrichard

Reaction score
I figured that would be the way to go...should I go through Verizon or Motorola to get it replaced?

blazenlo

Reaction score
I'm not saying this is it...Ive only had my Bionic for a week. But this used to happen to me with my OG Droid. I always kept my phone in my pocket and pocket lint would build up in the headphone jack hole. Every time I pushed the jack in I was just packing it in there. About once a month I'd have to clean it out with a needle. Worth a shot before the hassle of returns..

Derekweb

Reaction score
Two of mine had same problem. Returned to Verizon store and they FedExed a new on. I insisted on next day delivery before 10AM.

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
I'm not saying this is it...Ive only had my Bionic for a week. But this used to happen to me with my OG Droid. I always kept my phone in my pocket and pocket lint would build up in the headphone jack hole. Every time I pushed the jack in I was just packing it in there. About once a month I'd have to clean it out with a needle. Worth a shot before the hassle of returns..

In the OP he said he cleaned out the headphone jack.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I had the headphone jack fail on my OG and a friend had a Droid X fail... Sounds like a trend with Motorola devices. Hope they are keeping score.

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk

pbickel

Reaction score
Go through Verizon moto will make you send it in to be repaired without giving you a new one

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Go through Verizon moto will make you send it in to be repaired without giving you a new one

Typically, they will send you a new (actually a refurbished) phone, and will ask you to send the old one back in the same box (they provide a return label so you are not charged). This way you will not be without a phone.

pbickel

Reaction score
Typically, they will send you a new (actually a refurbished) phone, and will ask you to send the old one back in the same box (they provide a return label so you are not charged). This way you will not be without a phone.

I thought the same thing but when talking to Motorola they said they wouldn't give me a new phone that was Verizon's job and to do the warranty through them. Motorola told me they just fix them and then send them back to the owner

bjjud

Reaction score
I thought the same thing but when talking to Motorola they said they wouldn't give me a new phone that was Verizon's job and to do the warranty through them. Motorola told me they just fix them and then send them back to the owner

I had Verizon replace my phone for that exact same reason a month or so ago...they didn't have one in stock, so one showed up at my house the next morning (Monday, not sure how they did that) Ya leave stuff plugged into the ear jack long enough, it goes south. Now , I don't leave the thing sitting on the seat, with the cable getting tugged on.....I use Bluetooth for everything except riding my motorcycle, (which needs the extra volume the ear jack provides)

spike74563

Reaction score
Dead headphone Jack

Just like Driod Newbi's my headphone jack went dead on myBionc. Turned out to be just lint it the hole---like his had. A slightly bent pin tip removes it easily. Remember to remove the battery and it’s easier to see--if you take it out in the sunlight. If you see white in the hole --its lint ;-)

I also had problems getting stereo output (only left channel audio) -- Since a wired mike and headphones accessory seems to give stereo and has 4 a conductor 3.5mm plug-- I wonder if the jack might need an adapter for normal headphone use ?