HDMI output to old TV

islander90

Reaction score
So I've tried setting up my tv area with all my tech gadgets and part of this plan was to get it set up to connect the Xoom to the TV...

Problem; it's an old Panasonic rear projection HDTV without any HDMI ports.
Solution; HDMI-to-DVI adapter for video and 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter for audio.

So I thought I was in the clear. Plugged the HDMI into the Xoom and the TV showed a giant Android figure with a talking bubble saying "720p?" (can't remember if the question mark was there or not). Audio works fine, but video doesn't...

Problem; apparently the old TV only accepts 480p or 1080i inputs and not 720p at all.
Solution; ??? Is there a setting or an app or something that can adjust what the Xoom is sending out? I've tried searching for answers but haven't found any obviously. I have tried looking through my TV settings and adjusting the aspect displays and none of that fixed it. The Xoom is fully updated to 3.2. I plugged my Bionic in and it worked fine. Thoughts??

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Urm... Buy a new TV? xD LOL, I remember our old projection tv. I could fit inside... o.0 :blink: Like dezy said, I'm thinking that unless your TV is 720, the tab isn't going to adjust to anything else. They aren't expecting you to plug it into an old TV I guess... =P

OP
I

islander90

Reaction score
it's just strange that the xoom and the bionic would have different stuff when they're both moto products. maybe it has something to do with gingerbread vs. honeycomb?

Snow02

Reaction score
The hardware is different. One is nvidia, the other TI. There's probably nothing you can do short of getting a video converter.

OP
I

islander90

Reaction score
The hardware is different. One is nvidia, the other TI. There's probably nothing you can do short of getting a video converter.

ohhhh good point. a good test would be with my wife's Droid 3 since it's got the Tegra2 as well

OP
I

islander90

Reaction score
damn. for some reason I thought the D3 had the Tegra2. Thanks for the info

moxo

Reaction score
If my tv has HDMI, what do I need to connect/project xoom onto it?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Micro HDMI to HDMI cable. They are only $3 online.

X

moxo

Reaction score
Micro HDMI to HDMI cable. They are only $3 online.

X
Brad, thanks for your advice. But next question (I'm an amateur but probably didn't need to tell you that) is which HDMI cable is ok for the xoom: e.g. 3m HDMI to Micro-HDMI Cable (Type-A HDMI to Type-D HDMI) is an example of an ebay offer, and then there re others that say MICRO HDMI Type D to STANDARD HDMI Type A - 4.5m Cable. These in Australia range from $21 to $59. I really appreciate your sharing your expertise. What is going to work?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The issue is probably lack of HDCP support. Not all DVI ports fully support HDCP, and i'd suspect that with your TV this is the case. I believe the connection between the Xoom and the TV requires HDCP support.

Here's a little article explaining the issue:

DVI HDMI and HDCP - A Practical Guide