hdmi dock not activating webtop app

pathwitheart

Reaction score
Hi
My HDMI dock doesnt offer Webtop in the picker list when phone is cradled. Ive tested the HDMI cable on my tv and it works fine. Am i missing something as far as downloading an app prior to docking the device?
i bought the dock thru a verizon store but don't have the packaging amymore. Hoping i am not stuck with a lemon..phone works great otherwise and dock does charge fine.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
The option should show up when it's docked; there's no prior download required. What options are showing when you dock it?

OP
P

pathwitheart

Reaction score
what shows up when i dock....

The option should show up when it's docked; there's no prior download required. What options are showing when you dock it?

Just :
Alarm clock
Productivity something....

I know something's wrong since i watched all the Motorola videos to see if i was missing a step and they show that webtop is supposed to be my 3rd option....

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
It is. I have the HD dock and I don't have that problem. I was having a problem with my standard dock, though, so I took my phone into VZW and they had me try out my phone on another dock in their inventory. I suggest you go in and do the same, and if it turns out it is the dock, and you bought it from them, they'll just switch it out. Something might be wrong with the HDMI connection in your dock if it's not activating Webtop.

OP
P

pathwitheart

Reaction score
I will head in and check it out. I just hope they let me swap ot out without all the packaging etc:)

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I occasionally have this issue if I don't push the phone far enough into the HDMI dock. Reseating the phone usually resolves it. There's some kind of sensor that has to be triggered in order for Webtop to be enabled -- that's how Moto forces us to buy additional hardware to use Webtop. If you're having the issue repeatedly though then it may well be a faulty dock. What about Mirroring mode, does that work for you?

OP
P

pathwitheart

Reaction score
HDMI Dock STILL not working....Motorola support doesn't know a thing

they just told me (after being transferred 3 times within tech support) that Webtop will not be activated via the dock if the dock is plugged into a laptop....as opposed to a monitor. that mirroring mode cannot do any kind of actual file transfer...I asked what was the point of the dock if you could just use an HDMI cable alone to view stuff on the TV and the only way actually to do file exchange on the computer is with a USB cable (as he told me) ...which also charges.
what is the point of mirroring if you can't drag and drop files from the phone to the computer and vice versa....
isn't that the whole point of the HDMI dock?
isn't that one of the main messages in their advertising?

anyone have any ideas?

ps--
HDMI cable tested on tv and works fine.
I exchanged the original HD dock at verizon and this is a new one
I have tried making sure the phone is pressed in solid
I am doing this through a laptop....
and, as the idiot at Motorola asked me, yes, I am using a HDMI cable plugged into the back and into my HDMI dock of my computer.
For a 300$ phone and 99$ dock, this is ridiculous.

speel

Reaction score
I had the same problem and noticed that when my Bionic was cradled the charging indicator (lightning bolt on battery) was not there. I unplugged the transformer and replugged it in. As soon as the charging indicator was visible, the option for the Webtop app was shown.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums