Handcent

ashyxlynn

Reaction score
i much prefer using the Handcent SMS app compared to the stock app but when i went to update it i realized it had a line that read "Services that cost you money" and i updated anyways and continued to use like normal but then the next months bill there was an unexplained $5 charge and i don't download any random apps or anything (in fear of slowing down my phone). Since then i deleted the app but miss it. Was the cost because of the app or did i delete it for nothing? I've seen the same description on other "free" apps that i won't download now because im afraid of any charges. I've looked on the site but haven't found any explanations.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I haven't used handcent in a while but if I remember correctly they had a backup service that cost money. You could backup all your txt to their server. They might have had other services as well but can't remember. But if you didn't use them there shouldnt have been a charge for it.

end of line...

Lenagainster

Reaction score
If you are looking for another SMS app other than stock and not handcent, try Go SMS Pro. I've used all three and IMHO, Go SMS Pro is the best. Never been charged, and you have the option to back up your texts to your SD card and/or your email.

jacestone40

Reaction score
And Go SMS can be moved to the SD

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That warning is there because SMS/MMS messaging can cause you to incur charges if you don't have a text messaging bundle or if you exceed your plan. Its doubtful that the $5 on your bill was due to Handcent. You'd need to verify with your carrier. We can't determine what the charge was for without any information on the matter.

There are guides out there to help you understand what the various permissions mean. Don't assume.

Last edited: