What else besides Handcent?

royta

Reaction score
I picked up my Droid on 6/5 and downloaded the latest Handcent that evening. Handcent is what the stock Messaging app should have been. However, I've noticed some problems with Handcent, and I'm very interested in another app.

For one, it will intermittently split the messages when it shouldn't. In other words, it will take a message that is under 160 characters and send it out in two or three different messages. Not good.

Two, I opened up the thread between my wife and I. I went to Batch mode so I could select which messages in the thread to be deleted. After selecting most of them, I then hit Delete selected. Every single message on the phone was deleted. I even went into the stock Messaging app and sure enough, they were all gone. Terrible.

So...what else is out there besides Handcent? I'm completely fine with having to pay for the app, as long as it isn't buggy and it has the features of Handcent.

As far as I'm concerned, Handcent can not be trusted.

Last edited:

JaredG

Reaction score
You can change the options so it doesn't split the messages. As for the deleting all...that's just a bug the programmer will have to fix. Email him from the Market. Its a very good app. Best messaging app on the Market in my opinion.

Sent from my Droid

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
I know I can change the option so it doesn't split the messages. Not splitting the messages is the default setting. However, I think it's a very good feature for those long winded messages sent to the unlucky non-VZW customers. I've stepped up to the big time now. I've got my first smart phone, a Moto Droid, and I'd rather not have to message like I was still on my LG VX5400. :)

I'll have to submit a new bug report on their website regarding the deletion of every friggin' message I had on the phone.

Battousai

Reaction score
no, they don't like the split feature, wants to get rid of it.

JaredG

Reaction score
I like it. Very handy. I text a lot of people not on Verizon. Especially since you can choose people to split instead of just everyone.

Sent from my Droid

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
The only other app (not nearly as good as Handcent) is ChompSMS.

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
So you like the split feature?

Sent from my Droid

no, they don't like the split feature, wants to get rid of it.

Yes, I like the split feature. However, I want the feature to work correctly and ONLY split when the message is longer than 160 characters. Here's an example of a message I sent two days ago that split when it shouldn't have.
(1/3) Yeah I know. It's 3/8 of an inch longer than the Moto Droid. A
(2/3) totally awesome, but perhaps a bit too hefty for the hardcore
(3/3) industrial types such as ourselves. Drats.
See anything wrong there...other than me forgetting to use the word "phone" after 'totally awesome'? ;)

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
The only other app (not nearly as good as Handcent) is ChompSMS.

I find it surprising that with the lack of features of Messaging, nobody has come up with an app with the needed features, like Handcent, but is not buggy. The developer could easily charge for the app, and most everyone would happily pay for it. Handcent would be great, if it would work. I feel kind of bad complaining since it's free. Hey bud, could you get off your butt and fix this app that I didn't even pay for?

crowandthrow

Reaction score
handcent

So I just got handcent, my only question is how do I turn off the default messaging app on the droid? I can't get the icon to go away because I set handcent as my default

Thanks its tripping me out

JaredG

Reaction score
Go into the stock messaging app, press the menu button, then settings, then scroll down to where it says "Notifications" and uncheck it. :)

Sent from my Droid