Handcent Question

erict

Reaction score
I installed handcent and love it so far as the options are endless over the stock app. Even though I have it set as my default sms/mms I have a question. When I click on the messages symbol (mailbox with flag) I still have the stock text app in there. When I click on it, It will still show my sms's that I have in handcent in the stock texting app as well. When I delete the sms in handcent it also deletes in the stock message app as well and vise versa.

When I click on the messages symbol the next window opens up and shows,

Universal in box
Text messages (stock one)
Yahoo mail

Is there a way to delete the stock Text messages link in there? I don't get notifications from the stock app since I unchecked everything and have no need for the shortcut.

FC127

Reaction score
You can delete the universal inbox from your homescreen and replace it with the handcent sms shortcut. There is, however, no way to access handcent from your universal inbox

Sent from my D2 using DroidForums app

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
You can delete the universal inbox from your homescreen and replace it with the handcent sms shortcut. There is, however, no way to access handcent from your universal inbox

Do I do this within the universal inbox settings? I am running a stock phone.

Last edited:

FC127

Reaction score

Is the universal inbox icon on your homescreen? If so, long press on the icon and drag it to the trash bin... Then, from your app drawer, long press the handcent icon and drag to your homescreen.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Is the universal inbox icon on your homescreen? If so, long press on the icon and drag it to the trash bin... Then, from your app drawer, long press the handcent icon and drag to your homescreen.

Did you read what the OP is asking to do? It doesnt seem so....

If OP is running a "stock" DX, there is no Universal Inbox icon on the homescreen, nor can there be unless you install and use a different launcher program. So, no sense in telling him to "drag to delete that icon and make one for Handcent".

What OP is asking to do, if I understand him correctly, is he wants Handcent to be listed when he clicks the Messaging icon, instead of the stock Text Messaging app.

To the OP, as far as I can see after messing around in the Messaging menu, there is no way. Handcent just "piggy-backs" the stock SMS app any way, so if you have either shortcut, they still show the same text messages.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score

If OP is running a "stock" DX, there is no Universal Inbox icon on the homescreen, nor can there be unless you install and use a different launcher program. So, no sense in telling him to "drag to delete that icon and make one for Handcent".

What OP is asking to do, if I understand him correctly, is he wants Handcent to be listed when he clicks the Messaging icon, instead of the stock Text Messaging app.

To the OP, as far as I can see after messing around in the Messaging menu, there is no way. Handcent just "piggy-backs" the stock SMS app any way, so if you have either shortcut, they still show the same text messages.

That is correct as my universal inbox is not on my home screen but shows only under the messaging icon when clicked. No big deal as I thought since I don't use it I could just remove the stock text app in there.

FC127

Reaction score

Now, before you go accusing me of not paying attention, anyone with a droid x has the ABILITY to put the universal inbox on the homescreen... calm yourself.

Sorry for asking questions and trying to help.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also you don't want to remove the stock text messaging ever because if you do you wont be able to receive mms

tappin and a talkin

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Now, before you go accusing me of not paying attention, anyone with a droid x has the ABILITY to put the universal inbox on the homescreen... calm yourself.

Sorry for asking questions and trying to help.

1) Show me how...on a stock Droid X, without using any app, rooted or unrooted....I`ll wait. The below are all threads asking how to do this...
Universal Inbox Shortcut
No Universal Inbox on homescreen = FAIL

2) I am calm...thats why I asked a question...I didnt accuse you of anything. Now, had you in fact read the OP`s post accordingly and understood what he was asking, you would have seen that your reply was of no help in what he was asking for...so no sense in being snide about me asking you the question to start with...