Handcent as default, don't even want stock sms

hoops8

Reaction score
Yes, I upgraded to 2.2. But I had Handcent installed when I was running 2.1. Whenever I get a text msg, it seems that I get a notification in the status bar from Handcent, but I get a pop-up from the stock sms program. I only want to use Handcent, but I can't get it to be the default it seems. In the stock sms program, I have turned off 'Delivery Reports' under SMS settings, turned off 'Delivery reports' and 'Auto-retrieve' under MMS settings, and turned off 'Notifications' under Text Messaging settings.

Then in Handcent settings, I have 'Enable Popup' and 'Notifications' checked. Is there anything I am missing? I also went to the Home Screen, went to 'Settings' -> 'Applications' -> 'Manage Applications', then clicked on Handcent and it says that it is set to launch by default for certain actions. Please help. Thanks.

timrock

Reaction score
i notice this issue too. jeeze, they just keep coming

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
So is this an issue with 2.2? If it is, then at least my sanity is intact. I have been screwing with this since I upgraded this morning. If it is a 2.2 issue, at least the devs of Handcent can fix it with a new release. Any other suggestions?

timrock

Reaction score
So is this an issue with 2.2? If it is, then at least my sanity is intact. I have been screwing with this since I upgraded this morning. If it is a 2.2 issue, at least the devs of Handcent can fix it with a new release. Any other suggestions?

seems to be. i didnt have this issue before.

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
I agree, and I'm sure they will, and a lot faster than Moto will! That is the beauty of the Android OS and open source.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I have handcent as the default. I had 2.1 upgraded to 2.2 today. No problems.

I get a text, handcent pops up, also, notification on the bar, and if the screen turns off, the blue light comes on.

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
What does your Handcent popup look like? Can you describe it the best way you can?

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Un-believable! That is what I was seeing, but I thought that was the stock sms program popping up. I thought that because when I tried typing in it, it wouldn't go landscape mode for me and it didn't show the full conversation either. Any idea why, when touching the white space to type, it 1) won't go landscape mode when turning the phone and 2) doesn't show the whole conversation (or at least the part the fits on the screen at once)? Thanks again for the reply.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
What type of phone are you using? If you can root then you can download an app called titanium backup and use it to uninstall the stock messaging app.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Just got my DX 2 days ago and today upgraded to 2.2. So I am not rooted yet, have to build up the nerve to do it. I have been reading about 928Droid Themes and they seem really, really cool. I know I have to root first but I need to learn all about that first. I have done some reading on it and the process doesn't seem too crazy, though.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
1) won't go landscape mode when turning the phone and
=its not supposed to, pop ups, are just quick ways to respond to the text message. Open up the message in handcent if you want to able to type in landscape.

2) doesn't show the whole conversation (or at least the part the fits on the screen at once)? Thanks again for the reply.
=I dont know what youre asking, but if the single text message cant fit in one popup screen, itll show more than one screen. Like the image that I showed earlier.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
I wish you luck. I can tell you now once you start Modding its addictive. You will have loads of fun with it. Also you should know that if you have an aptitude toward computers and if you are a fast learner then it is actually a lot easier once you start the process than it is to read about it. So again good luck and have fun with it.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
1) won't go landscape mode when turning the phone and
=its not supposed to, pop ups, are just quick ways to respond to the text message. Open up the message in handcent if you want to able to type in landscape.

2) doesn't show the whole conversation (or at least the part the fits on the screen at once)? Thanks again for the reply.
=I dont know what youre asking, but if the single text message cant fit in one popup screen, itll show more than one screen. Like the image that I showed earlier.
Get launcher pro and enable auto rotate within that launcher program. That will squash the problem with the pop up not rotating