Handcent problem

G

godanigo

Bump for the answer to this. I was wondering the same thing. I want to put Handcent on my wifes droid, but I want it to still say "messaging".

I just answered your question. Read the whole thread.

I want to know how to RENAME the Handcent app on my homescreen, not make it the default messaging program. I already have done what you are talking about, its keeps you from getting double notifications.

You can't rename any application. With what I'm talking about you still have the shortcut for normal messaging but it takes you to Handcent, that's as good as it's going to get at this point in Android development.

ntaylor

Reaction score
You can't rename any application. With what I'm talking about you still have the shortcut for normal messaging but it takes you to Handcent, that's as good as it's going to get at this point in Android development.
You could also download the SMS Unread Count application / widget and it gives an iphone-like icon with number of messages. Click on the widget and it takes you to whatever is the default messaging app.

G

godanigo

Looks like I was wrong, they seemed to have changed that feature from 1.6. I always like having the regular messaging icon link me to Chomp SMS. Sorry about that...alas, you still can't change the name of any applications, though you could email the developer. Or download SMS Unread Count, I hate the way the icons look all blurry on the Droid though.

Realistic

Reaction score
I've having another problem with handcent, one of my contacts is always showing up as his phone number instead of his name. All others are showing up with their names.

I have the latest version too.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like SMS Popup more than handcent. No gay bubbles, but it pops the message up on your homescreen when you get a text and gives you the option to close, delete, or reply.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
handcent has deleted all my conversations twice now and it force closes often. It needs an update before I use again.

IamGov

Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why Apple is even an option? If I wanted a child's toy I could easily go to AT&T and get my fix.

Is there anyway to rename "Handcent" on the home screen? If not, oh well...Just set my customizations.

Leave the messaging app on your home screen and when you open it, it will give you options of what to open (ie, Handcent, Chomp SMS, Google Voice or Messaging). Select Handcent and check the always use this box.

Is there a way to undo this?

thrashtrash

Reaction score
What is it about Handcent that has its benefits over the default messenger? I have tried it but I do not like the Bubble text, so I default to the Android anyway.

Is there something extra you can do with Handcent that is not possible in the default messenger? With attachments or anything else...

plus the biggest thing IMO is the popup with the message and the quick reply option. i love that feature. it made me switch from almost every other sms app i tried

LordKastle

Reaction score
Speaking of Handcent. When the popup window appears on the locked screen when a text message is received..I have viewed it and stopped the notification from continuing. Another time I went in to Handcent to stop the notification.

The only problem is when I stopped the notification tone after seeing the pop up, I do not know how I did it. Did I press a button to stop the notification in the actual pop up when the screen was still locked?

I'd rather not deal with magick so if any of you guys know what I did, then let me know.

mjs31

Reaction score
I wonder how many have actually looked through all sub menus on handcent. There are so many options that I have to believe that anybody asking why this is better than the default SMS has not taken the time to look at everything. There really is a huge amount of options hurried in. Just a great app.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
I wonder how many have actually looked through all sub menus on handcent. There are so many options that I have to believe that anybody asking why this is better than the default SMS has not taken the time to look at everything. There really is a huge amount of options hurried in. Just a great app.

thats true.. i tried playing with some of the settings and i even got lost with all the options.. lol

i just noticed that on my list of sms, the picture for the corresponding contact doesn't show anymore.. it just displays the default avatar..

anyone else have this issue?

cmk325i

Reaction score

thats true.. i tried playing with some of the settings and i even got lost with all the options.. lol

i just noticed that on my list of sms, the picture for the corresponding contact doesn't show anymore.. it just displays the default avatar..

same issue with the contact picture not displaying i think its not grabbing my pics from facebook .... Looking into this now if i find a solution i will post it

cLovis_ll

Reaction score

same issue with the contact picture not displaying i think its not grabbing my pics from facebook .... Looking into this now if i find a solution i will post it

yeah before i synced some of my contacts with FB, it shows the profile pics, after the sync, it shows the default one even if there is a pic of the person in contacts app..

cmk325i

Reaction score
Found the solution for the contact pic to come up ... You must manually asign a pic to the contact . If you go into ur contact list and select the name if its pulling the pic from facebook there will be no pic there and u can manually add one . I did this and now its working perfectly good luck