Handcent on Lock Screen

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Since JB, has anyone found a way to replace the stock Text Messaging App with Handcent on the Lock Screen? I've turned off notifications on the Text Messaging App, so Handcent is working properly as my default texting app. But I can't disable the Text Message App. I haven't been able to switch it on the lock screen like I did with ICS.

aarong03

Reaction score
Since JB, has anyone found a way to replace the stock Text Messaging App with Handcent on the Lock Screen? I've turned off notifications on the Text Messaging App, so Handcent is working properly as my default texting app. But I can't disable the Text Message App. I haven't been able to switch it on the lock screen like I did with ICS.

Well I'm still running ICS and won't update to jelly bean until I see how people are liking jelly bean. But on my Maxx I froze or disabled the stock text app. And Handcent became the default application. See if you can disable the stock app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Well I'm still running ICS and won't update to jelly bean until I see how people are liking jelly bean. But on my Maxx I froze or disabled the stock text app. And Handcent became the default application. See if you can disable the stock app.

I love jelly bean, and I have no regrets about upgrading. No, the option to disable the stock text message app is greyed out. The only very minor inconvenience is accessing Handcent from the lock screen - which I rarely do anyway. If I can fix it, great. If not, no big deal.

aarong03

Reaction score
I love jelly bean, and I have no regrets about upgrading. No, the option to disable the stock text message app is greyed out. The only very minor inconvenience is accessing Handcent from the lock screen - which I rarely do anyway. If I can fix it, great. If not, no big deal.

I wonder why they've greyed it out now?

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I wonder why they've greyed it out now?

I'm not sure. I disabled 15 apps and removed others. But for some reason Text Messaging and I think maybe one or two others couldn't be disabled.

metalhead

Reaction score
Not quite the answer you're looking for but you could try one of the lock screen apps. I've got Widgetlocker and you can add any app to the lock screen. The pop up doesn't work well with it though. Or maybe I didn't spend enough time to figure it out. I ended up switching to GoSms just because I liked the pop up better.

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Actually, I thought about asking just that. I've customized just about everything else with Apex Pro, custom made UCCW widgets for most of my home screen, and Photoshopped most of my own icons. I'd like to use Widget Locker, but the popup is a deal breaker. I need the popup more than the Handcent icon.

metalhead

Reaction score
I don't want to discourage you from Widgetlocker as its a very cool app with lots of customization. Like I said, maybe I just didn't spent enough time with the settings to make the pop up work. If you try it and figure it out, I'd like to know. Post your results!

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I don't want to discourage you from Widgetlocker as its a very cool app with lots of customization. Like I said, maybe I just didn't spent enough time with the settings to make the pop up work. If you try it and figure it out, I'd like to know. Post your results!

Hmmm... It looks like a really cool app. But it has some really mixed reviews. With JB being so new, I think I'll give them some time to work out any new bugs before I decide to buy it.

winmorgan

Reaction score
How can I replace the lockscreen stock Text Message with Handcent?

I'm running ICS on an HTC phone. I've turned off Notifications in the stock Text Message app and use Handcent, BUT I want to have Handcent's icon be on the lockscreen (and get rid of the stock text app icon and can find no way to do so (I've googled and forum-ed it to death). I noticed you said you were able to switch these icons in ICS. Could you please say how you did that?? VERY grateful for any help.

TriciaH

Reaction score
I use Widget Locker and Handcent and the popups work fine on mine. If its a photo coming in tho I find it better to just open the app. But Handcent is on the lockscreen so that works too. Don't know why they don't let you change out the icons on the lock screen.

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I'm running ICS on an HTC phone. I've turned off Notifications in the stock Text Message app and use Handcent, BUT I want to have Handcent's icon be on the lockscreen (and get rid of the stock text app icon and can find no way to do so (I've googled and forum-ed it to death). I noticed you said you were able to switch these icons in ICS. Could you please say how you did that?? VERY grateful for any help.

You have to go into the Text Messaging App settings and disable it. The problem with Jelly Bean is they don't let you disable it anymore.

winmorgan

Reaction score
Thanks! (Don't seem to have "disable" as an option.

You have to go into the Text Messaging App settings and disable it. The problem with Jelly Bean is they don't let you disable it anymore.

Hi...thanks very much for the message. I don't have "disable" as an option, only "Delete," and I wasn't sure if it was safe to delete it? Any thoughts?

winmorgan

Reaction score
I use Widget Locker and Handcent and the popups work fine on mine. If its a photo coming in tho I find it better to just open the app. But Handcent is on the lockscreen so that works too. Don't know why they don't let you change out the icons on the lock screen.

Thanks. I don't know why they don't either, but it's very frustrating. I like the stock Messaging app showing a number if there's a text and want to get Handcent to do the same.

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't know why they don't either, but it's very frustrating. I like the stock Messaging app showing a number if there's a text and want to get Handcent to do the same.

OK. I must've deleted the stock app then.

I've used Apex Launcher pretty much he whole time I've had my phone. I recently upgraded to the paid version and it now shows a count of unread texts, emails, voicemails, and missed calls. The unread text count works with Handcent.