Handcent + Google Voice

Silverwing

Reaction score
I tried searching for this, but to no avail.

Is it possible to receive and send google voice SMS via handcent, or do I have to use the GV application for all communication with GV?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this, but to no avail.

Is it possible to receive and send google voice SMS via handcent, or do I have to use the GV application for all communication with GV?

Sorry to say but you can only use the GV I believe.

OP
S

Silverwing

Reaction score
In that case, is it at least possible to skin google voice? Or at the very least, apply a dark theme?

Royal2000H

Reaction score
You can use handcent/stock messaging app if you take advantage of 406 numbers with Google Voice. Note that you will still be charged normal SMS rates if you don't have a plan. Google 406 numbers for more info.

Otherwise, you're stuck with the Google Voice app...

coolkidd

Reaction score
Yeah... me too, I use GV for all communications via GV. Sometimes, I get annoyed because I get 2 Notifications of the same message: one for Handcent and one for GV.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can use handcent/stock messaging app if you take advantage of 406 numbers with Google Voice. Note that you will still be charged normal SMS rates if you don't have a plan. Google 406 numbers for more info.
...and set up SMS forwarding in Google Voice. I don't recall if you can do that in the Android app or if you have to set it up via the full GV site.

arw01

Reaction score
do you need SMS native to the verizon account?

...and set up SMS forwarding in Google Voice. I don't recall if you can do that in the Android app or if you have to set it up via the full GV site.

Does this require sms native to the verizon account for the forwarding?

We have no sms on our phones, so google voice is the only option.

Bdog

Reaction score
If you have no SMS plan, DO NOT FORWARD TO YOUR PHONE! You will be charged text messaging rates. This goes for everyone who does not have a text plan, or plans to use GV to drop their text plan for free SMS.

You cannot use any other app (Handcent, SMS popup, etc) for your GV SMS notifications unless you choose to forward messages via text to you, in which you will be charged text message rates if you do not have a plan. You will also get multiple notifications: one for your SMS (or more if you've never turned off your native SMS notifications), and another for Google Voice.

Skinning the GV app would require you to know how to go into the .apk and customize it yourself.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does this require sms native to the verizon account for the forwarding?

We have no sms on our phones, so google voice is the only option.
Yes it does. You're setting up forwarding from GV to your phone. Royal2000H's post indicates that you will be billed for SMS with such a setup. That's because you'd need to send and receive messages directly from your device on your carrier's network to use any app other than the GV app with forwarding enabled.

You will also get multiple notifications: one for your SMS (or more if you've never turned off your native SMS notifications), and another for Google Voice.
Either can be disabled in the respective app.

Last edited: