handcent 160 split question

moot

Reaction score
I have a question about the handcent "split 160" option. What happens if I leave that option unchecked, will it simply cut off my message? If that is the case, why isn't this option on by default?

I've been sending long messages without this checked for the past couple of weeks, and no one has mentioned my messages being cut off. A little confused, some help would be appreciated.

mjs31

Reaction score
I have a question about the handcent "split 160" option. What happens if I leave that option unchecked, will it simply cut off my message? If that is the case, why isn't this option on by default?

I've been sending long messages without this checked for the past couple of weeks, and no one has mentioned my messages being cut off. A little confused, some help would be appreciated.

I believe if you do not have it sent it would stop you at the 160 mark. If checked it would allow you to keep typing and send multiple messages. As for what is default and what is not, you should contact the person that made the app.

spazma7ik

Reaction score
It's not defaulted or mandatory because some people actually have to watch how many texts they send out (not me, just saying.)

RichStevenson

Reaction score
SMS is limited to 160 characters. With the option left unchecked, it will convert to an MMS message which I believe allows 1000 characters as well as pix and sound. If you send a message over 160 to a phone that can't handle mms, then the message is truncated to 160. That's where this option helps by splitting the message into multiple 160 character SMS.

the5ilenced

Reaction score
my experience with this...
when sending a text to a non Verizon customer whether its via the default message app or handcent they would only get the first 160 characters of my message. This has happened to both friends on AT&T and sprint. Both apps would say i went over the 160 display something like 2/132 left and would appear to send everything but then i would get a text from verizon saying, only the first 160 characters were sent.
When you enable the 160 split, handcent then seperates everything into 160 character text messages (until you hit 3 text then it converts to MMS) and sends them as individual texts.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's not default because, as someone mentioned already, some people have to watch their text amounts and whether it's mms. But it is a great feature to have the auto-split for those that don't have to be concerned!

OP
moot

moot

Reaction score
SMS is limited to 160 characters. With the option left unchecked, it will convert to an MMS message which I believe allows 1000 characters as well as pix and sound. If you send a message over 160 to a phone that can't handle mms, then the message is truncated to 160. That's where this option helps by splitting the message into multiple 160 character SMS.

Does it automatically convert to MMS when above 160 char? I ask because on handcent's options it says it will convernt to mms when it is 3 sms.

my experience with this...
when sending a text to a non Verizon customer whether its via the default message app or handcent they would only get the first 160 characters of my message. This has happened to both friends on AT&T and sprint. Both apps would say i went over the 160 display something like 2/132 left and would appear to send everything but then i would get a text from verizon saying, only the first 160 characters were sent.
When you enable the 160 split, handcent then seperates everything into 160 character text messages (until you hit 3 text then it converts to MMS) and sends them as individual texts.

I see, thank you for your reply. Also, I've had split disabled for the past week, and have not ever gotten a text from verizon saying that only the first 160 was sent.

Last edited:

iSecks

Reaction score
It's because Handcent isn't made for the Droid specifically. SMS messages will be split no matter what on any carrier except Verizon. For some reason, Verizon doesn't let you send SMS messages greater than 160 characters. Because Handcent isn't made for the Droid specifically, and MOST Android phones are non-Verizon phones, this option is left unchecked by default.

AbsolutSweetie

Reaction score
I'm hoping that my issue has something to do with this also... Sometimes when my friend texts me from his VZW Treo it'll split it(usually into 2 or 3)- ex) "1/3 (text)", "2/3 (text)", "3/3 (text)" and the last message will say that something along the lines of media removed (I'm unsure of the exact wording as I erase my messages constantly)... I've had this happen with stock sms and with handcent. I wasn't sure if it was because I had the 160 split box checked so I unchecked that last night, but still its too soon to know for certain. Any ideas?