guys, convince me that the bionic is still a great phone thats not outdated

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
All these new phones keep coming out and it is making me wonder if i should of waited 2 months ago when i got my bionic. Im running 247 leak but still cant help but feel that i am missing out on something..

Is the bionic outdated? Or does it still hold up well against new phones in its technical aspects?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All these new phones keep coming out and it is making me wonder if i should of waited 2 months ago when i got my bionic. Im running 247 leak but still cant help but feel that i am missing out on something..

Is the bionic outdated? Or does it still hold up well against new phones in its technical aspects?

Outdated? Yes.

Know this, NO PHONE EVER is worth 2 years, barely 1 year, and is almost always outdated by 6 years, and behind in Android OS updates by 4-6 months as well, sometimes longer, this is true for every phone that's not Nexus.

Ask yourself, does it work for you and does it get done what you need it to get done? If yes, keep the phone, be happy with it, and have fun with it. Don't be like ME and go through 5 phones in 1 year lol

zirkdog

Reaction score
Break down the specs of the new phones and list what they have that you don't. Strip away all of the ad campaigns with flashing lights and hot chicks, and you'll see that the ICS Bionic can still hold its own.

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
Right now mobile technology is on fast track. I haven't seen something like this since the CPU races that happened a decade or so ago. There are new items out every 4-6 months.

The Bionic has a lot going for it:
  • has LTE
  • Dual Core CPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • is getting/has ICS and a solid release of it at that
  • will be soon getting JB (not 100% but signs strongly indicate this)
if chasing tech is important to you, then by all means, it's your dime. Keep in mind upgrading w/out paying full retail if you have unlimited data will cost you that. Also, as others have indicated here - your new shiny phone will be a virtual paperweight in a year or so.

When tech moves this fast, it's smart to wait for the next big jump in it, get that, and then wait for the next one. For me, the RAZR X sounds intriguing and has some rather strong specs in it.

Hold out for VoLTE, and Quad-Core.. or go spend your money. It's up to you.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Break down the specs of the new phones and list what they have that you don't. Strip away all of the ad campaigns with flashing lights and hot chicks, and you'll see that the ICS Bionic can still hold its own.

Motorola DROID BIONIC specs

Motorola DROID RAZR M specs

Add jb to the bionic and clean up some of the bloat and you are on par with this years specs. In other words, if it was not for motorola not supporting it the device would still be on par. The device can handle both ics and jb and if motorola will not update it they should at least allow for an unlockable bootloader solution so developers can take matters into their own hands.

[video=youtube;rbT8gf-EDXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbT8gf-EDXQ[/video]

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
I was contemplating "upgrading" a few weeks ago but the ICS leaks have stopped my search. Running 247 is like having a new phone. I think you have to agree on that.
Like Snydersweb said, the Bionic is a fairly adequate phone. Maybe you should loo into doing more mods. You will never have the best phone for a long time, there is always a bigger better faster one coming right after the next.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;CAsWvgdu2LY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsWvgdu2LY[/video]

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Add jb to the bionic and clean up some of the bloat and you are on par with this years specs. In other words, if it was not for motorola not supporting it the device would still be on par. The device can handle both ics and jb and if motorola will not update it they should at least allow for an unlockable bootloader solution so developers can take matters into their own hands.
Motorola's doing a great job supporting the Bionic. Verizon has been holding things up. This has been fixed. ICS is coming soon, and the current leaked build has a patch to fast-track us to Jelly Bean.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It will be a long time before there is software that the Bionic cant run. You are good for quite a while if you want to be!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
OR: You could donate it to me! :D:D:D:D:D

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
The bionic is just realizing its potential. Check out some Jelly Bean roms and you will realize its still a great device

marleyinoc

Reaction score
I'm happy with the Bionic on ICS. It still being officially on GB is just ridiculous.

I know it can run JB and before long there will be a good working build whether official or not.

At that point it will still hold its own against 80 percent of the devices out there. And it will probably still be kicking when I finally upgrade. I'll do that with unsub, unlocked, prepaid device. Project glass would be nice.

Edit: didn't see the posts above me when I was typing this, so this is just reinforcing those.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB

Last edited:

marleyinoc

Reaction score
I really do think we will. I think the latest leak kind of puts us in a position for that according to some of the guys on on here. and while it may not be official I'm almost certain that we'll have a properly working jelly bean release from the community. the stuff thats out there now really could be a daily driver for me. a few of my camera apps just wouldn't play nice.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola's doing a great job supporting the Bionic. Verizon has been holding things up. This has been fixed. ICS is coming soon, and the current leaked build has a patch to fast-track us to Jelly Bean.

You know big brother red they could mess up a w......... nevermind But they really need to do like other carrier and just release the device as is. Heck even At&t is doing it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you think we will eventually get jb leaks like we do with ics?

The leaks won't occur unless the Bionic will officially get JB. Maybe a JB ROM instead.

Even so, I understand that cheesecake won't work with ICS (because of the security change), but that may have changed.